Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 12:56 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,909,284 times

Advertisements

Pollen on a car (severe example, but you're breathing it):

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 01:08 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,063,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I was thinking more about this. The one thing I dont like about austin is that it doesnt have touristy things for our visitors to do. Austin is a great city to live in, but maybe not the best city to visit.
I've seen tourists in Whole Foods downtown, just walking around marveling at everything.

If I was a tourist, I'd want to sit in on a Austin City Council meeting. Better than an episode of Portlandia. Especially after midnight when they all get "punch drunk" tired.

Up on Mount Bonnell a few weeks ago, my wife and I observed massive numbers of tourists. I counted over two dozen license plates from out of state when we were walking past the cars when leaving.

The Capital, Bob Bullock Museum, 6th Street, Broken Spoke, Salt lick, Oasis, Austin City Limits studio, UT, SoCo all make great tourist destinations. Not to mention the countless daytrip destinations such as Wimberley, Fredericksburg, even San Antonio.

The great thing about these kind of tourist destinations is you get to mix in with locals, because we don't think of ourselves as tourists when there.

Steve

Old 02-01-2013, 01:12 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,887,517 times
Don't forget that little race track and amphitheater in Elroy (er, Austin -- I guess it's annexed now). That's probably increased Austin's "touristy" factor by 50%.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:40 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I was thinking more about this. The one thing I dont like about austin is that it doesnt have touristy things for our visitors to do. Austin is a great city to live in, but maybe not the best city to visit.
Zilker Botanical Gardens, State Capitol, French Legation, watching the bats take off, Cathedral of Junk, SoCo, eighty-leven festivals (throw a rock and you'll hit one), the Oasis for happy hour and the view, the Broken Spoke, Bullock Texas State History Museum, the Harry Ransom Center, Barton Springs Pool, Segway Nation, LBJ Library, Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, Mount Bonnell, Texas State Cemetery, lots of live music, lots of places to eat out from trailers to Chez Nous and Fonda San Miguel and everything in between, several places to go trail riding, Umlauf Sculpture Garden, Westcave Preserve, McKinney Falls or Pedernales or Bastrop State Parks, O'Henry Museum, Laguna Gloria, Hill Country Flyer, Barton Creek Greenbelt, Pioneer Farms, Emma Long Park, Governor's Mansion, Highland Lakes/Lake Travis, more golf courses than you can shake a stick at, and on and on and on.

Just what did you have in mind in the way of touristy things to do?

Old 02-01-2013, 03:31 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,775,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Zilker Botanical Gardens, State Capitol, French Legation, watching the bats take off, Cathedral of Junk, SoCo, eighty-leven festivals (throw a rock and you'll hit one), the Oasis for happy hour and the view, the Broken Spoke, Bullock Texas State History Museum, the Harry Ransom Center, Barton Springs Pool, Segway Nation, LBJ Library, Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, Mount Bonnell, Texas State Cemetery, lots of live music, lots of places to eat out from trailers to Chez Nous and Fonda San Miguel and everything in between, several places to go trail riding, Umlauf Sculpture Garden, Westcave Preserve, McKinney Falls or Pedernales or Bastrop State Parks, O'Henry Museum, Laguna Gloria, Hill Country Flyer, Barton Creek Greenbelt, Pioneer Farms, Emma Long Park, Governor's Mansion, Highland Lakes/Lake Travis, more golf courses than you can shake a stick at, and on and on and on.

Just what did you have in mind in the way of touristy things to do?
Many of those things might not be as appealing to the "average" tourist, although WE know that they are awesome and worth visiting. I would personally think the typical tourist and fam would want to visit theme parks, family-friendly and easily recognizable restaurants that cater to out-of-towners, and fun but gimmicky destinations (lookin' at you, Riverwalk) that hold comparatively little value to local residents. For example San Antonio has the riverwalk for its novelty and boat tours and glass mall, and the Alamo...Houston has museums and cultural elements that the Blanton or Bob Bullock just can't match up to. I agree that Austin has tons of things for the tourist to enjoy but they are less known and accessible.

Where I disagree with Austin97 though is the notion that this is one of the "worst things about Austin". IMO, it's one of the best - I love that more things here cater to everyday residents than out of town visitors. Better place to live than visit, and as a resident I'm fine with it!!

Old 02-01-2013, 09:09 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,796,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
If I was a tourist, I'd want to sit in on a Austin City Council meeting. Better than an episode of Portlandia.

Steve
. Too funny.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:22 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,087,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
If I was a tourist, I'd want to sit in on a Austin City Council meeting. Better than an episode of Portlandia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
. Too funny.
My job frequently forced me to attend many, many council meetings. They are rarely funny or entertaining, they are most often very, very boring. Nothing as good as Portlandia.

I'm sure glad I got paid for wasting my life there.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:39 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,796,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
My job frequently forced me to attend many, many council meetings. They are rarely funny or entertaining, they are most often very, very boring. Nothing as good as Portlandia.

Funny suggestion for a tourist destination. That's all. But, I stand corrected on whatever.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:10 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,063,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post

You have to be fan or irony, appreciative of living stereotypes, and somewhat knowledgeable about at least some of the specific topics.

Mayor Leffingwell is also a fountain of funny wry quips sometimes, if you're listening.

Steve

Old 02-03-2013, 10:06 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,110,862 times
Reminds me of the time that I was flipping through the channels and found a public hearing on urban chickens and the issue of roosters! I immediately sat down and started watching! OMG! best entertainment ever!! The chicken people, the annoyed neighbors . . .

I love channel 6.

I have been to my share of council meetings (once one that went past 2 am) and it does get a little dizzy . . . and it is never funny when it is your neighborhood or your issue . . . but when it isn't in your backyard and you can watch the personalities go at it or see a favorite villain (like Richard Suttle) go head to head with a jam-packed Council chambers full of neighborhood activists . . . GOLD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin