Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2013, 07:27 PM

164 posts, read 310,654 times

Advertisements

I"m not gonna complain about the heat, or the long summers. It's Texas and it was hot long before I ever got here and I knew it would be hot when I moved here.

Actually, I think the heat feels good after being in an air conditioned building where the temp is about 75 or so.

I do wish there was more 24 hour restaraunts and stores, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 09:01 AM

319 posts, read 737,625 times
Easily the physical condition of the roads and the traffic

Old 09-08-2013, 09:25 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,909,284 times
Allergies, brutal.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 3,047 times
Default Yes to all that and let's add NO WATER!

I am sure the water issue is going to be worse as time goes by.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:24 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,008,953 times
Too much traffic and too many incoming people (locusts) from high cost states that have rendered much of Austin unaffordable and destroyed the precious landmarks that dotted the Austin landscape.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:17 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,400,743 times
I can't think of a worst thing. I moved here a year ago from Manhattan after living there for 25 years. I grew up in Dallas and was always a proud Texan! I miss, a little, not being able to walk to stores in Manhattan. Not a big trade off.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 11-09-2013 at 01:29 PM..

Old 11-09-2013, 10:55 PM

13 posts, read 19,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curious1111 View Post
Easily the physical condition of the roads and the traffic
Where do you hail from? I lived in the Midwest for the first few decades of my life and I've never been privy to better roads. I lived in 5 states and whenever moisture freezes in cracks, the roads suffer. Austin roads are pristine in my opinion.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:38 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,883,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeandmich View Post
Whats the worst thing about living in Austin to you?
I don't live in Austin, but if I did--it would be two things--the hot, humid summers...and the rising amount of crime.

Sis lives south of Austin in a so-called affluent bedroom community between Austin and San Marcos.

She had one break-in robbery a few years ago--and now another attempted one just a few nights ago. They probably assumed nobody was home, and were scared off by the neighbor, who goes to work at 4am...he turns his outside lights on at the time he leaves.

The back gates were open, and the glass on the storm door was open--and I suppose that's when they ran off. People are getting pretty blatant/bold these days, and breaking in when people are asleep!

Then, (as I understand it) in the same general area, a woman was rear-ended. When she got out to see about it, one man grabbed her, threw a towel over her head and threw her in the back seat of her car. Her 4-year-old child was in the car with her.

They (3 men) took her somewhere, and repeatedly raped her. I suppose she was lucky they didn't kill her.

I really hope she leaves the Austin area--it's getting too crowded and the amount of crime is just unacceptable. And these are not typically your crime-ridden areas.

To me, it's just scary. She now locks her gates (something I've always done, even in small-town WT) as well as the outside storm doors. We shouldn't have to barricade ourselves in our homes, but it's a sign of the times, I guess, especially in a too-fast-growing place like the Austin area.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:31 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,063,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I
Then, (as I understand it) in the same general area, a woman was rear-ended. When she got out to see about it, one man grabbed her, threw a towel over her head and threw her in the back seat of her car. Her 4-year-old child was in the car with her.

They (3 men) took her somewhere, and repeatedly raped her. I suppose she was lucky they didn't kill her.

I really hope she leaves the Austin area--it's getting too crowded and the amount of crime is just unacceptable. And these are not typically your crime-ridden areas.

To me, it's just scary. She now locks her gates (something I've always done, even in small-town WT) as well as the outside storm doors. We shouldn't have to barricade ourselves in our homes, but it's a sign of the times, I guess, especially in a too-fast-growing place like the Austin area.
Do you have a link to a news story on this? We live in SW Austin and I haven't heard ANYTHING about this incident at all.

And what's this affluent area between Austin and San Marcos? Kyle? Buda? I'd call those areas working to middle class.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:16 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times
It was apparently IN San Marcos, not Austin. There's a picture of the location (doesn't look residential) where this apparently happened in the article below.

San Marcos Police looking for kidnapping, assault suspects
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin