Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2013, 10:09 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,281,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
...183 was a two lane country road,
183 in Austin thirty six years ago. Not exactly a "two lane country road".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 11:21 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,764,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Nice straw man. By your own admission, we didn't execute the 1962 plan. And all of the gorilla dust you are throwing up fails to point out the obvious - that construction has, purposely, failed to jeep pace with the growth. Just the city - disregard the metro area - has grown 6X in your five decade span. Have our roads grown 6X?
Oh yeah - beecause when I think about the best parts of Austin I don't think about places like Town Lake - I think about 183 and IH35. It sure is a shame we don't have more massive freeways and fewer places like Town Lake in Austin.

Way to build a great city there. Also, in an era when cities are realizing what a tragic mistake and ripping out freeways at great expense, you wish we had build more - through the heart of Austin. Wow - i really have no word to express what a terrible idea this is and how glad I am that we didn't build a freeway on TOWN LAKE.

Last edited by Komeht; 12-25-2013 at 11:30 AM..

Old 12-25-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
183 in Austin thirty six years ago. Not exactly a "two lane country road".
1. I was referring to past the Mopac interchange and
2. I'm older than 36.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppp38 View Post
Who is this we? that you are talking about? Certainly not me, as I love Houston and don't mind Atlanta. I thank God that I don't live in places like DC, Chicago and NY.
That's fine - you like auto-dependent hellish sprawlburbs and I like world class cities. . .guess we have a difference of opinion.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:40 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,971,658 times
Quote:

Way to build a great city there. Also, in an era when cities are realizing what a tragic mistake and ripping out freeways at great expense, you wish we had build more - through the heart of Austin. Wow - i really have no word to express what a terrible idea this is and how glad I am that we didn't build a freeway on TOWN LAKE.
So I guess in your opinion the PCH on the west coast was a terrible idea?

Town Lake is much more scenic.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
That's fine - you like auto-dependent hellish sprawlburbs and I like world class cities. . .guess we have a difference of opinion.
That has nothing to do with the 2001 plan to build HOV lanes on Mopac - delayed 15 years. Fixing the Y - delayed 20 years. Building the 45 connection - voter approved in 1997...

You also have this romantic attachment to a sliver of "world class cities", ignoring they have their share of "auto-dependent hellish sprawlburbs". It is obvious that you are gleefully ignorant of life in Evry, Courcoronnes, Marne la Vallée, Versailles, etc. and think that Paris ends at the Peripherique. It doesn't.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
So I guess in your opinion the PCH on the west coast was a terrible idea?

Town Lake is much more scenic.
This what you envision huh? A county scenic highway on the banks of town lake - not like say. . .100% of all the other urban freeways in Texas.

um. . .ok

Old 12-25-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
That has nothing to do with the 2001 plan to build HOV lanes on Mopac - delayed 15 years. Fixing the Y - delayed 20 years. Building the 45 connection - voter approved in 1997...

You also have this romantic attachment to a sliver of "world class cities", ignoring they have their share of "auto-dependent hellish sprawlburbs". It is obvious that you are gleefully ignorant of life in Evry, Courcoronnes, Marne la Vallée, Versailles, etc. and think that Paris ends at the Peripherique. It doesn't.
It has everything to do with the response to that person - why don't you take a minute and read through the thread again.

I like world class cities because they're wonderful places to be in. And if you think that the dominant experience in Paris is suburban then I feel you must have had the worst guide on the planet. Paris is a lovely city, the vast majority of which is urban with a small sliver, relative to US cities like say, Austin, of sub urbanism.

Old 12-25-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I like world class cities because they're wonderful places to be in. And if you think that the dominant experience in Paris is suburban then I feel you must have had the worst guide on the planet. Paris is a lovely city, the vast majority of which is urban with a small sliver, relative to US cities like say, Austin, of sub urbanism.
I didn't need a guide. I lived there, unlike you. If you think the Paris metro area is urban, then you didn't see it. Myopic ignorance is bliss, huh? I mean, if all you have in the tool box is a hammer, then every problem is a nail. The metro region has 12.2M. Paris, 2.2M. So which is the "sliver"?

Outside the Peripherique, it is as car dependent as the Austin suburbs you so condescendingly scorn. People may ride the RER into the city for work - just as they may someday ride LSR into Austin. But they live in SFRs on the cul de sacs you so detest and drive their cars to big box retail and hypermarkets. Just like Cedar Park.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:38 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,900,720 times
Quote:
I didn't need a guide. I lived there, unlike you. If you think the Paris metro area is urban, then you didn't see it. Myopic ignorance is bliss, huh? I mean, if all you have in the tool box is a hammer, then every problem is a nail. The metro region has 12.2M. Paris, 2.2M. So which is the "sliver"?

Outside the Peripherique, it is as car dependent as the Austin suburbs you so condescendingly scorn. People may ride the RER into the city for work - just as they may someday ride LSR into Austin. But they live in SFRs on the cul de sacs you so detest and drive their cars to big box retail and hypermarkets. Just like Cedar Park.
'Tis true. And they eat at restaurants called "Hamburger Restaurant" next to car washes in suburban shopping centers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin