Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2014, 07:18 AM

99 posts, read 163,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Monday, 1/6 - start of the new work year. Chicago wx forecast - hi, -7, low -13. End of discussion for me.

homeinatx is right. Chicago has always had a large Mexican population. My father worked there after I graduated from HS in Houston. His company was over a bread bakery near Fullerton and Pulaski. One day, he drives up and there are a bunch of cars, all in a familiar color of green. Can't quite place the significance, until he hears later in the day there was a INS raid downstairs. Oh, yeah. That's what color the Border Patrol cars are. But I promise - there may have been Mexicans there in the 70s, but they didn't run any restaurants in any number.
That's totally not true. As pointed out earlier, the first wave of Mexican immigration to Chicago was in the early 1900s, with a big surge starting in the 1930's. There are hundreds of thousands of 3rd and 4th generation Mexicans-Americans in and around Chicago. They have been running their own neighbourhood hole in the wall restaurants in neighborhoods like Pilsen for 60, 70 years or more. There has always been good Mexican food in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 07:24 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,281,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy the Plasterer View Post
There has always been good Mexican food in Chicago.
I wish my mother was here to argue this with you. The South Texan scoured Chicagoland every Year to find the mandatory Christmas Eve tamales. She was an incredibly determined woman and she never found them.

Too bad my Okie dad didn't speak enough Spanish to ask the guys in the bakery downstairs.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:49 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,063,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Actually, people in the know call it Topolo. You can call it Topolobampo if you want, but it signifies you're a rube.
"People in the know" huh? "Rube"? Dear god, are you actively trying to be insufferable?

Old 01-03-2014, 07:10 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Thanks for making my point. His food is closer to Fonda San Miguel, just as I said. Whether one considers that "Mexican" is an issue of semantics and subject to interpretation.
There is no single description of Mexican food. You can get huge variety of food in Mexico. Yes, Fonda San Miguel is Mexican. I call it upscale Mexican.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:30 PM

48 posts, read 90,840 times
Default Traffic study predicts dim future for austin

Traffic study predicts dim future for Austin | KXAN.com

Old 01-13-2014, 02:32 PM

48 posts, read 90,840 times
Default Traffic study predicts dim future for austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeandmich View Post
Whats the worst thing about living in Austin to you?

Without a doubt, traffic. Traffic study predicts dim future for Austin | KXAN.com

Old 01-13-2014, 03:27 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,909,284 times
Austin population estimate: "4 million people by 2035".

Old 01-13-2014, 04:06 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,982,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyBlue View Post
...for Austin _Drivers_

Old 01-13-2014, 04:27 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,982,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyBlue View Post
And actually reading the study, of course the news got it wrong. It explicitly _doesn't_ predict 2.5 hours from Downtown to Round Rock. It explicitly predicts that it won't occur:

http://mobility.tamu.edu/mip/pdfs/MI...tral-TX-ES.pdf

"What Does This Mean?
The MIP Working Group concluded that the arrangement of land uses and transportation capacity that
was modeled, which was based on the 2035 CAMPO plan, is unlikely to occur. That is, the levels of
congestion the model predicts for IH 35 and the Central Texas region—as seen in a 3-hour commute
between Round Rock and downtown Austin in 2035—will be unacceptable for local residents and
businesses and is not likely to occur. This means that behavior changes would probably occur: jobs and
homes would likely relocate to shorten commute times, travelers would avoid making peak-period trips,
and severe congestion would likely dampen the area’s population and employment growth. Therefore,
with impacts to quality of life and economic health predicted to be this substantial, there may be
sufficient motivation to approach IH 35 congestion solutions differently."

Old 01-16-2014, 08:39 AM

18 posts, read 45,197 times
Worst things: People are too busy and focused on themselves. Traffic, heat in the summer, Cedar fever, terrible city planning, completely pedestrian unfriendly, very few sidewalks, total car dependence, unless you will risk trying to walk around, scary, drivers so aggressive. The popularity it has had the last 15 years ruining the entire experience of living here. EVerything so crowded. Parts of it are really quite ugly, like the whole north central area, stretches of endless highways separated by seas of big box stores. Honestly sometimes I can't believe that can all stay in business! Public spaces are pretty decrepit and neglected. Probably the ugliest city parks ever. if you like weeds and chain link fences your good. Some of AISD schools in such bad condition or just ugly period. I could go on….there are many things I do like about it however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin