Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 08:54 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,594,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
I've had the same problem in other states... but it is common here.

Normally I just go around them and go on, but chronic left lane abusers generally get a little closer encounter than they bargained for when I merge back into their lane after passing on the right. It's a company car people. I don't care if I run over you.
So you don't care about the "left lane abuser's" passengers? You don't care about the risk to everyone else on the road when there is an accident at high speed in front of them?

Let's hope your statement was simply macho posturing and not actually true.

Don

Old 01-19-2012, 09:05 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
I've had the same problem in other states... but it is common here.

Normally I just go around them and go on, but chronic left lane abusers generally get a little closer encounter than they bargained for when I merge back into their lane after passing on the right. It's a company car people. I don't care if I run over you.
I wonder about people who willingly and proudly endanger life, who take the chance of KILLING a human being, just to prove a point. Are you so important that someone needs to have a near death experience for you to feel good about yourself.

Applause. Wow, someone did something right when they raised you.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:11 AM

713 posts, read 3,438,748 times
I see this a lot and even saw some people use the emergency lane to pass a car in front when there is no gaps on the other lanes that can be used for passing. Funny when you are going 85 on a road set at 65 and see cars pass you going close to 100 zipping in and out of all lanes of traffic to get in front of you lolz.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:27 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,784 times
Thanks for the replies, I did not intend to start a fight (if there is one at all). However, yeah, the speed limit is 70mph but generally even the police will let you slide if you are at 75mph. Most times I see a guy who is puttering along at 65-70mph right next to a truck going 65-70mph and they are both at an impasse - one is not passing the other so everyone else in the back is stuck. I came from south Florida (driving on I-95 often) and the left lane was mostly empty unless there was a traffic jam. When someone was in the left lane it was to (obviously) pass the slower traffic, NOT to go from Austin to San Antonio without changing lanes once

OD

Old 01-19-2012, 09:28 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,290,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
I may be completely wrong but I moved recently from the east coast to Austin area and I feel like I noticed that drivers here are very stuck on sitting in the left (fast) lane on I-35 and going below or at the speed limit, creating line-ups behind them when there is no need to do so. Is it just me? Is this a TX thing, an Austin thing or...? Do they teach drivers here that the far left lane is for passing and the fastest moving vehicles?

Thanks!
OD
It's a Texas thing, an Austin thing, an idiot thing and an inconsiderate, entitled thing.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:48 AM

247 posts, read 558,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And you're talking about them being problem drivers? When you've just acknowledged that if someone isn't driving fast enough for you in the lane you approve of, you'll do something aggressive and dangerous as "payback"?

Somehow, I think you're confused about who's creating the problem here and most especially, who's really the bad drdiver. Not that that's at all unusual, these days.
Or they could just move out of the way. It's not that hard..plus who likes getting tailgated all the time?

Old 01-19-2012, 09:53 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshdw View Post
Or they could just move out of the way. It's not that hard..plus who likes getting tailgated all the time?
So...your answer is "When someone is bullying you, just do whatever they want, because who likes getting bullied all the time?"

Old 01-19-2012, 10:02 AM

247 posts, read 558,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
So...your answer is "When someone is bullying you, just do whatever they want, because who likes getting bullied all the time?"
Or bully back? What are you going to do, tell a teacher? Report it to the cops? The cops will just laugh at you and tell you to get out of the way. Not really a good analogy.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:08 AM

293 posts, read 730,523 times
Can we just sticky one of these threads? This is ridiculous.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:23 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,125,137 times
Don't count on the cops letting you slide for 5 mph over the limit. I had an idiot behind me last week weaving in and out of traffic. I held the speed limit because I knew that this stretch of road on Avery Ranch Blvd has a ton of cops on it. this mustang driver felt the need to go faster and got popped by the cop. I shed no tears when the guy was pulled over because he felt that his 10 seconds saved to the next light were more important than everyone else's.

And yes, we have this same discussion 3-4 times per year.... It isn't a Texas thing it is a courtesy thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin