Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 08:39 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackenziep View Post
First of all, I'm not talking about the Drag - I'm talking about the intersection of 38th and Guadalupe. Probably too much detail here, but on one corner is a Jiffy Lube (well kept up and a useful business), on one corner is the steps up to a walking path around the Central Park/Central Market complex, another corner is Pecan Plaza, with a Starbucks and a few other businesses, and on the last corner - the Good Luck Food Mart, which has cleaned up its act considerably over the years.

Then, one block down from the Pecan Plaza is the Planet K. Again, it's in a beautiful, possibly iconic building, and they've opened up shop in the chain-link fenced in back yard and put posterboard signs up in front. This is NOT normal.

I don't care that it's a head shop (in fact, I'm happy to know that if I'm ever in need of a bong, I can still buy one), I care that the owners are showing blatant disrespect a neighborhood that's a lot better now than it was 8 years ago.

I'm certainly prepared to attend planning and zoning board meetings - it's just that this is so egregious, I expected other City-Data-ers to have also noticed. I guess I was wrong. Which kind of begs the question - where do you all live? My guess is not in Central Austin.
What do you think about the Mr. Gattis right there? It's pretty shady looking...and the ugly fake-wood branch sculpture in front of the Starbucks? And the convenience store by Mr. Gattis? Pretty run down and dirty- I disagree that they've 'cleaned up'. It's a convenience store, that's what they're supposed to look like. Look, we're not talking about Rodeo Drive here. That piece of Austin has always been kind of jacked-up looking and has that character. They're not bothering anyone...who are you to decide what it SHOULD look like? There's no zoning for 'prettiness'. By the way, do you live in Hyde Park?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 10:35 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
First of all, I'm not talking about the Drag - I'm talking about the intersection of 38th and Guadalupe. Probably too much detail here, but on one corner is a Jiffy Lube (well kept up and a useful business), on one corner is the steps up to a walking path around the Central Park/Central Market complex, another corner is Pecan Plaza, with a Starbucks and a few other businesses, and on the last corner - the Good Luck Food Mart, which has cleaned up its act considerably.
So this is what you are talking about?

Anyway, you are talking about 37th and Guadalupe, which essentially still the drag. It's certainly no fancy neighborhood. 37th street is where people used to (and some still do) drape Christmas lights over the junk in their yards. Lots of rentals, valuable land and old homes but many are run down.

I do think it's a great idea to go to the zoning hearings. You'll probably learn some stuff you haven't picked up on in your whole 8 years in Austin. Perhaps that will better answer your questions since you don't seem to believe any of us...

Old 01-27-2012, 10:39 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,211,007 times
HAHA! Across from Flamingo Automotive and right dead square in the center of pot smoker heaven? The OP has no clue.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:43 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,376,006 times
38th and Guadalupe is NOT "The Drag."

Old 01-28-2012, 07:51 AM

109 posts, read 161,705 times
37th and Guadalupe is NOT the drag - not even close.

For the record:
1 - The Christmas lights on 37th Street are tons of fun - I love it
2 - This area is not in the center of pot-smoker heaven - I don't even know where that would be, but it's not here.
3 - The wood sculpture thing in front of Starbucks is not my taste, but its presence is intentional and I can only hope that some day they'll put up something else.

Look - it's obvious I've touched on a sore point because Planet K is supposedly "local", and therefore sacrosanct. Reasonable people see that the way they've chosen to open and operate their new store would be a code violation in most places.

You folks are not being reasonable - you're being belligerent because of your Texas/Austin pride and that blinds you to the reality that Austin is far from a beautiful city, and part of the reason for that is places like this new Planet K.

My final words are this: Quirky is fine. Old is fine. "Not my taste" is fine. Blatant disrespect for even minimal standards is not OK. The Planet K has only been open a month or two. I'm confident that they will eventually be forced to do the right thing.

Signing off.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:54 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
37th and Guadalupe is NOT the drag - not even close.

For the record:
1 - The Christmas lights on 37th Street are tons of fun - I love it
2 - This area is not in the center of pot-smoker heaven - I don't even know where that would be, but it's not here.
3 - The wood sculpture thing in front of Starbucks is not my taste, but its presence is intentional and I can only hope that some day they'll put up something else.

Look - it's obvious I've touched on a sore point because Planet K is supposedly "local", and therefore sacrosanct. Reasonable people see that the way they've chosen to open and operate their new store would be a code violation in most places.

You folks are not being reasonable - you're being belligerent because of your Texas/Austin pride and that blinds you to the reality that Austin is far from a beautiful city, and part of the reason for that is places like this new Planet K.

My final words are this: Quirky is fine. Old is fine. "Not my taste" is fine. Blatant disrespect for even minimal standards is not OK. The Planet K has only been open a month or two. I'm confident that they will eventually be forced to do the right thing.

Signing off.
Heck, mac; I'm with YOU. If it were up to me, I'd like to see about 75% of north N. Lamar brought up to some sort of code. What an ugly, depressing drive! Speaking of Guadalupe, I remember my first trip north of the 'Drag' on the 'lupe...wondering why so many businesses and buildings were condemned. Then I realized they were actually OPEN for business. Blight begets blight. Has nothing to do with the right to run a legal business...has nothing to do with 'keeping Austin weird'. Has a lot to do with some minimum standards for safety and appearance.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:58 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
I know that building. It is cool. But I don't know if purely commercial buildings can get historic zoning and it wouldn't be in the owner's interest anyway. I'm sure that it meets the minimum health and safety standards. If you doubt that call 311 and report it. Code compliance is complaint driven. Or look it up in the city development data base and see if they have a certificate of occupancy or if they have pulled permits for a remodel.

It looks safe enough and I doubt that they plan to keep in that state permanently. They need to generate revenue. Looks like they will keep the store open as they renovate. Lots of places do this including medical clinics, schools etc. Check back in a year, I'm sure it will be more aesthetically pleasing. I'm just glad they didn't raze the original building to the ground.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:23 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
In my opinion, zoning laws should only concern safety. It gives a government way too much power to have them legislate aesthetics. As long as the Planet K building is safe, I don't have a problem with it.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:20 PM

77 posts, read 219,357 times
The biggest eyesore in that neighborhood are the massive rusty steel towers that carry the power lines. I'm not sure what the city was thinking when they erected those monstrosities. They could have at least painted them to cover the rust.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:58 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin944 View Post
The biggest eyesore in that neighborhood are the massive rusty steel towers that carry the power lines. I'm not sure what the city was thinking when they erected those monstrosities. They could have at least painted them to cover the rust.
I actually think the color is intentional! Supposed to look like trees or something. I'll never forget watching them get installed -- massive cranes. I had toddlers at the time and they were entranced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin