Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 02:37 PM

1 posts, read 9,615 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I live just outside of Dripping Springs. The water problems have been very bad this year, from the drought and the huge influx of people to the area. Most of the homes where wells have dried up are near new, high density subdivisions which were mapped out in one of the wettest years.

You might want to consider rainwater in addition or instead of a well. The water is soft, tastes great (well water does not, and you can hit spots in this area with sulphur water). Your clothes get cleaner, you don't need softeners or RO, and your fixtures don't get all crudded up with minerals.

We did not dig a well, and have been very happy with rainwater. There are plenty of installers out here. Check the local expert: http://www.rainwatercollection.com/

Good luck!
Juliette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2006, 07:43 PM

92 posts, read 673,792 times
Default My sister's had well probs in Drippin'

After well went dry once, and then second time burned up her pump...she resorted to installing a water storage tank in back yard.
She went to the phone book and settled on a company (I believe is in Dr Spgs) with a name of someting like Whitsitt and Lyle Co. She's been very pleased with them.
Other companies she consiered included:
China Town Water Works (out of Cedar Park) which she says some people out there like.
Also some water delivery service from Marble Falls also serves that area.
Mind you, she's using a storage tank to supplement her newly, more deeply driilled well.... don't know any details about any of these companies delivering water in "mass quantities" without a storage tank already in place, but they may be worth a call to ask..
Sis also mentioned there's a trend toward water collection with a roof over the storage tank itself to collect considerable amounts of rainwater (when it does rain.)
Wish I could supply some more details, but that's all I know for now.
Good luck to you!!!
And do a rain dance!!! Couldn't hurt!!

Old 11-14-2006, 04:28 PM

2 posts, read 12,559 times
Default You wanna cook with gas?

As far as I know, in the rural areas of the hill country, if it says "gas" that means propane.

When you buy a gas appliance (stove, heater, frig), you'll need to get a special propane orifice. It's a different size than for natural gas. And it's VERY important.

You can buy or lease a tank from your local propane dealer, and can either order propane when you need it, or sign up for the delivery route. It's usually cheaper per gallon when you're on the route; they'll come fill your tank, then send you a bill.

Old 11-19-2006, 12:27 AM

7 posts, read 67,028 times
The aquifer is not an infinite water source...and Barton Springs is already showing the signs of strain from pumping in Hays County (in which Dripping Springs falls)...this past summer saw the spring fall to the lowest flow in recorded history and the flow remains compromised into this fall...if you do decide to settle in that area, please attempt to recycle water-- utilizing cisterns, collectors, etc...

Old 02-06-2007, 03:23 PM

2 posts, read 13,587 times
Update:

I posted a few months ago that our well went dry. Luckily, it did not. Our pump died. It was still a huge pain and very costly, at least in my opinion, but once we had the pump replaced we had water again. Actually our "dead" pump was sitting in over 70' of water. We lowered it another 20 so now we sit in approx. 90' of water above our pump. I installed a 3,000 gallon reservoir tank that I now pump into in case of emergency. I learned a ton about wells through this ordeal and now feel a lot better with the knowledge I gained.

We are going to do rainwater collection at some point but it is very expensive. It would cost in the area of $20,000 or more for a system for our house so it is not an option at this point in time.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:45 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,187 times
I worked for Hays County briefly right out of college in '96 and we always had people coming in to the subdivision office whose well had already gone dry and their house wasn't even finished being built yet. I would think it's even worse now.

Septic tanks: I have a septic tank and it'll only backup if the tank is completely full. As long as you have it pumped every 3-5 years (@ $250 a pump), it'll work perfectly. Also, don't use any of those additives for the septic tank. It doesn't need it.

Old 02-08-2007, 07:25 AM

34 posts, read 167,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKCRNIC View Post
My husband and I are coming to Austin next weekend for our second house hunting trip, this time we're going to spend a lot time searching the SW area (Dripping Springs). We have heard rumors that the well water is almost gone due to the falling water table. Is this true? I have to believe that a solution has to be available as so many others would be affected and in serious treat. Can you comment on how difficult it would be to take care of a well water system?

Also, what about septic sewers? Any thoughts here? How difficult are they to maintain? Are the rumors true that sometimes septics back up and you end up with yucky backflow in your sinks and tubs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
In Hays County there are several sources of water. I would guess that your friend is drawing from the Edwards Aquifer, it is extremly low and has been a very big issue for 15+ years. The most reliable sources of water out there is the Trinity Aquifer. When looking for a home I suggest the first thing you find out is the water supply and how deep is the well. Some people are getting their water from LCRA but if you look at Lake Travis you will see it is very low. We have had several years of draught. The Trinity and LCRA are very reliable sources of water.

The back flow from a septic would indicate it needs to be pumped and they have not been maintaining it with RidX(common brand of live bacteria needed) They need to maintain their septic. It is easy and cheap to do.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:14 AM

56 posts, read 268,716 times
do you have to have a steel roof for a complete (potable water) system or would a clay tile roof be fine? I know you cannot use a standard shingle roof for potable water

Old 03-29-2008, 09:17 AM

56 posts, read 268,716 times
how much does it cost to truck in water with a holding tank? compared to standard community well bills ($100 to $150 a month) or city water?

Old 07-09-2009, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 7,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Williams 9 View Post
do you have to have a steel roof for a complete (potable water) system or would a clay tile roof be fine? I know you cannot use a standard shingle roof for potable water
Actually, this is not true. You can have a standard shingle roof for potable water. We do! And it works great. Steel is the ideal roof, and you would have to check with a professional on the clay tile roof (although, I suspect it would be fine, too). The house we have rented for 3 years was built by a doctor and his doctor wife and they chose 100% rainwater collection for the house and it has a standard shingle roof. We have been very happy with the water quality. We have a 250 gal. eliminator that 'grabs' the first 250 gals. before it ever gets into the tanks. The water in the tank goes through a 2 step filtration and UV light process before entering the house. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin