Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2012, 03:42 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Stallion Grill at Airport and 52nd is an acknowledged homage - down to the 1, 2, or 3 patty CFS, complete with the same light yellow gravy. This is the place Threadgill's used to be.
I found another joint a coupla years back... think it's still there... Charlie's Steak House at the Three Corners in Pflugeyville. Been there forever, serious old-school dive-ishness. I wandered in one time late, in dire need of sustenance, ordered a CFS, and got one that was bigger than the plate it was on. With a big ol' bowl o' white gravy. Plus sides. Holy Cow Plus 2!

And you know, it was so good, I ate the whole darned thing. It was enough to feed an African village for a week, but I ate the whole thing. By myself.

I've been a little afraid to drive up FM 1825 ever since, now that I know I'm powerless to resist.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 03:47 PM

125 posts, read 293,803 times
I though a Wiener Schnitzel was Chicken Fried pork cutlet.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:48 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I remember, way back when my daughter was just a baby in the early 1980's, getting, out of the American-Statesman, a recipe for chicken fried steak that Mary Faulk Koock, who grew up there as a child when it was still a residence, said was what her mother used to make for breakfast every day.
I went to St.Edwards High School with some of Mrs.Koock's sons in the early '60s. The family lived mainly on the 2nd floor of Green Pastures. GGreat place to eat back in the day.

Fine family of iconic Texans - even son Guich who tried his hand at being a Hollywood actor on a couple sitcoms.

Just saw Tim Koock (of Fredericksburg) at our 50th HS reunion last month out at St.Eds U.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedtx View Post
Just a wild guess but i'm thinking the original Chicken Fried Steak back in the day was at 'The Stallion' over on North Lamar they were quite famous for it this was back in the 70's and 80's. Later on they became real trendy like during St. Patty's Day they would serve green gravy . Ultimately the building was so old and in disrepair it eventually had to be torn down
Last time I ate a cfs at the Stallion, the booth bench seat was propped up with an old concrete cinder block.
That yaller gravy seemed extra good, but maybe it was just the grease in it.
Loved that place - it was locally famous the first time we went there in 1959.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:03 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
I though a Wiener Schnitzel was Chicken Fried pork cutlet.
Schnitzel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Although the traditional Wiener schnitzel is made of veal, it is now often made of pork. When made of pork, it is often called Schnitzel Wiener Art in Germany. In Austria, by law it has to be called Wiener Schnitzel vom Schwein (vom Schwein meaning from pork or pig) to differentiate it from the original. In Austria and Germany, the term Wiener Schnitzel is protected by law, and any schnitzel called by that name has to be made from veal.[1]

Old 05-01-2012, 06:04 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Last time I ate a cfs at the Stallion, the booth bench seat was propped up with an old concrete cinder block.
That yaller gravy seemed extra good, but maybe it was just the grease in it.
Loved that place - it was locally famous the first time we went there in 1959.
Students loved it because it was cheap. Last time we ate there, 1972-73 or so when I was in graduate school, the booths were crawling with cockroaches. They competed with us for our food. We never went back.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:53 PM

283 posts, read 254,918 times
The OP seems to be asking about a particular restaurant he visited back in the day. My first thought was Threadgills, but the directions don't fit. What comes to mind based on his description of the location is Dessau Hall, the dance hall. Did they ever have a restaurant? I've only driven by the place, never stopped in.

Possibly the Old Coupland Inn? They were known at one time for barbecue, but I don't recall them being a CFS destination.

I might also suggest something in Walburg but that's too far out.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:11 PM

363 posts, read 988,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I found another joint a coupla years back... think it's still there... Charlie's Steak House at the Three Corners in Pflugeyville. Been there forever, serious old-school dive-ishness. I wandered in one time late, in dire need of sustenance, ordered a CFS, and got one that was bigger than the plate it was on. With a big ol' bowl o' white gravy. Plus sides. Holy Cow Plus 2!

And you know, it was so good, I ate the whole darned thing. It was enough to feed an African village for a week, but I ate the whole thing. By myself.

I've been a little afraid to drive up FM 1825 ever since, now that I know I'm powerless to resist.

Don't venture back out that way as Charlie's is not more.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Students loved it because it was cheap. Last time we ate there, 1972-73 or so when I was in graduate school, the booths were crawling with cockroaches. They competed with us for our food. We never went back.
Roaches?

Heck, they were just a part of the ambiance. lol

Old 05-01-2012, 08:43 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashRiprock View Post
The OP seems to be asking about a particular restaurant he visited back in the day. My first thought was Threadgills, but the directions don't fit. What comes to mind based on his description of the location is Dessau Hall, the dance hall. Did they ever have a restaurant? I've only driven by the place, never stopped in.

Possibly the Old Coupland Inn? They were known at one time for barbecue, but I don't recall them being a CFS destination.

I might also suggest something in Walburg but that's too far out.
It was kind of small. Threadgill's sounds familiar. Where was that? I couldn't find it from the directions given earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin