Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 05:25 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,500,381 times

Advertisements

I moved to Round Rock from out of state in July. I'm a shirt and shorts kind of guy, and since I've gotten here I've been getting TONS of mosquito bites (well, at least what I assume to be mosquito bites). The truth is I don't think I've ever seen a bug on me, but I'll go outside, come in, and feel itchy which is when I notice the red bug bites in a few areas of my legs.

Seems like every time I head out to run an errand, or even just go into my backyard with the dog, I come in with 4-5 bites at least.

The worst part is these bites are by far the most itchy bug bites I think I've ever experienced, and they last for around 2 weeks before going away!!!

Are mosquitoes really that bad in the Austin, TX areas? Does anyone have an anti itch solution as well? I've always used Benedryll sprays or creams in other places I lived and it worked great. Here it's been completely useless, it doesn't stop the itch at all for these bites!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 08:57 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,366,251 times
Do you have Bermuda grass in your back yard?

Chiggers love that stuff.

I wear shorts & a T-shirt 11 months out of the year and rarely get any skeeter bites.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:06 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,577,943 times
We had quite a few mosquitoes in our yard in NW Round Rock and as ScoPro mentions, we had chiggers for a while as well. We never figured out how to get rid of the mosquitoes this year, but the chiggers (bites on your legs below the knees that itch bad) went away after applying one of those Scott's turfguard fertilizer/insect killer bags to the entire lawn (make sure that you get the right one for the type of grass that you have). The mosquitoes are a lot tougher to get rid of, but getting rid of the obvious things like standing water will help.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:20 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,116,334 times
Sounds like chiggers! They have been very heavy this year. Keep the grass cut short, eliminate standing water. Good news is that chiggers do not transmit anything (no Lyme disease or anything else) they just itch!

Old 11-18-2013, 10:51 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,667,143 times
^^Yup, sounds like chiggers.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:47 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,500,381 times
Several people keep mentioning that my bites sound like Chiggers, but I've been skeptical because wouldn't you be able to see them on you? Sometimes I'm also only outside for 1-2 minutes as well to get my dogs and I'll come in and notice a couple bites. I figured if it were a chigger I would probably see it, but then again I have no previous dealing with them before!

Old 11-18-2013, 11:51 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,667,143 times
Trombiculidae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
These relatives of ticks are nearly microscopic, measuring 0.4 mm (1/60 of an inch) and have a chrome-orange hue.
And

Quote:
For humans, itching usually occurs after the larvae detach from the skin.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:21 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,141,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
I moved to Round Rock from out of state in July. I'm a shirt and shorts kind of guy, and since I've gotten here I've been getting TONS of mosquito bites (well, at least what I assume to be mosquito bites). The truth is I don't think I've ever seen a bug on me, but I'll go outside, come in, and feel itchy which is when I notice the red bug bites in a few areas of my legs.

Seems like every time I head out to run an errand, or even just go into my backyard with the dog, I come in with 4-5 bites at least.

The worst part is these bites are by far the most itchy bug bites I think I've ever experienced, and they last for around 2 weeks before going away!!!

Are mosquitoes really that bad in the Austin, TX areas? Does anyone have an anti itch solution as well? I've always used Benedryll sprays or creams in other places I lived and it worked great. Here it's been completely useless, it doesn't stop the itch at all for these bites!
This is a very unusual year because it has rained very often. In years where there isnt much rain or it comes all at once, we get the mosquitos for a short time then they are gone.

The mosquitos are the worst I can remember in 15 years in austin.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:06 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,985,413 times
Mosquitos have been bad to me this year, yet they rarely bite my husband, even when we're sitting side by side. We are outside (in Cedar Park) a lot and so I'm always spraying myself down with some sort of Off or Avon bug spray. The "natural" suggestions never seem to work on me, so I have to put chemicals on myself and I'm okay with that in order to avoid the bites! When we know we're going to be on the porch for a few hours at a time, or when we have a party, we use one of those aerosol yard foggers that seem to be quite effective.

As for after the bite, I use straight alcohol and sometimes an antihistamine cream.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:30 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,567,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
Mosquitos have been bad to me this year, yet they rarely bite my husband, even when we're sitting side by side. We are outside (in Cedar Park) a lot and so I'm always spraying myself down with some sort of Off or Avon bug spray. The "natural" suggestions never seem to work on me, so I have to put chemicals on myself and I'm okay with that in order to avoid the bites! When we know we're going to be on the porch for a few hours at a time, or when we have a party, we use one of those aerosol yard foggers that seem to be quite effective.

As for after the bite, I use straight alcohol and sometimes an antihistamine cream.
For five years, we had the bugs blown across Brushy Creek to celeste's yard...very little wind this year, so they might be hanging around instead of continuing their trek up IH35 Sorry celeste

I haven't been bitten since we moved one whole mile west...with a pond about 30ft from the front door! Now, if you want to talk about those gnat-looking things...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin