Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 06:46 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Leaving your home and arriving at WF? I highly doubt this happens regularly. In any case that's a far cry from people claiming 20minutes and at rush hour - which is simply impossible.
That's from my driveway to parking my car at church, which is near Brackenridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 06:05 AM

320 posts, read 487,098 times
I just got back yesterday from my house hunting trip, we are moving in July. I checked out Steiner Ranch, it is beautiful. I wouldn't say it's isolated. If you want to live the "downtown Austin" lifestyle on a daily basis, then yes, but otherwise, there are all the daily conveniences you need. We are going to settle in Grandview Hills area just down the road because of my choice in the Elementary school. I lived in SoCal for 18 years, so traffic doesn't bother me. Yes there is traffic, so what? It may take you 20 min or 40 min, big deal, plan for it. If you are from CA, it's no big deal.

I think people in Austin are always running late because they drive like maniacs! 620 and 2222 are a little scary. Posted speed on 620 is 65 and people drive faster, when actually the speed should be 45mph because there is so much traffic entering the highway. And it's not a "freeway" with exit ramps, it's just a 4 lane road, where there are shopping centers, random small businesses, and apartment complexes. High density and lots of cars. It's like the Daytona 500! And people are tailgating and very impatient if you aren't flooring it. I'm not a timid driver or a grandma and I was shocked. I worry about my mom, who is coming out with us. She will never be able to drive in Austin. There isn't one area I went to, and I drove everywhere from Round Rock to Leander to the Airport to Downtown at all times of the day, and there is always heavy, fast traffic. Well, it's either stopped or 100 MPH! My husband will also be on Research Blvd, closer to Anderson Mill. depending which end of Research your husband will be, he could take 620 to Anderson Mill to Research. Or go 2222 to 360.

Minus the traffic, Austin is awesome! I just loved it and can't wait to move. So many things to do outdoors, which is what we enjoy most. It's a food and music culture. The grocery stores I visited were great. HEB and Central Market (heaven). Trader Joes coming too I heard. The city has a vibe and a culture, unlike any other city I have lived in or been to. Texans and Austinites are very proud of their culture and it shows, I love it. I'm sure the daily grind is the same as everywhere, but leisure time will offer many more options than most cities I have lived in.

It's just a matter of personal preference if traffic and congestion bothers you or not. I know people who would loose their mind there. Personally it doesn't bother me. I just wish people would chill and slow down!

Old 05-04-2013, 07:16 AM

326 posts, read 685,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernamenottaken View Post
I just got back yesterday from my house hunting trip, we are moving in July. I checked out Steiner Ranch, it is beautiful. I wouldn't say it's isolated. If you want to live the "downtown Austin" lifestyle on a daily basis, then yes, but otherwise, there are all the daily conveniences you need. We are going to settle in Grandview Hills area just down the road because of my choice in the Elementary school. I lived in SoCal for 18 years, so traffic doesn't bother me. Yes there is traffic, so what? It may take you 20 min or 40 min, big deal, plan for it. If you are from CA, it's no big deal.

I think people in Austin are always running late because they drive like maniacs! 620 and 2222 are a little scary. Posted speed on 620 is 65 and people drive faster, when actually the speed should be 45mph because there is so much traffic entering the highway. And it's not a "freeway" with exit ramps, it's just a 4 lane road, where there are shopping centers, random small businesses, and apartment complexes. High density and lots of cars. It's like the Daytona 500! And people are tailgating and very impatient if you aren't flooring it. I'm not a timid driver or a grandma and I was shocked. I worry about my mom, who is coming out with us. She will never be able to drive in Austin. There isn't one area I went to, and I drove everywhere from Round Rock to Leander to the Airport to Downtown at all times of the day, and there is always heavy, fast traffic. Well, it's either stopped or 100 MPH! My husband will also be on Research Blvd, closer to Anderson Mill. depending which end of Research your husband will be, he could take 620 to Anderson Mill to Research. Or go 2222 to 360.

Minus the traffic, Austin is awesome! I just loved it and can't wait to move. So many things to do outdoors, which is what we enjoy most. It's a food and music culture. The grocery stores I visited were great. HEB and Central Market (heaven). Trader Joes coming too I heard. The city has a vibe and a culture, unlike any other city I have lived in or been to. Texans and Austinites are very proud of their culture and it shows, I love it. I'm sure the daily grind is the same as everywhere, but leisure time will offer many more options than most cities I have lived in.

It's just a matter of personal preference if traffic and congestion bothers you or not. I know people who would loose their mind there. Personally it doesn't bother me. I just wish people would chill and slow down!
Wow!! Excellent post!! I couldn't agree with you more. I drive around Austin A LOT (620 the most), and you couldn't be any more accurate with the way things are on the roads here.. You really did your research. Kudos to you!!!!

Old 05-04-2013, 05:36 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,762,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
That's from my driveway to parking my car at church, which is near Brackenridge.
No. That won't happen.

It can take 20 minutes to get from Mopac to Breckenridge on more days than not - that's NOT during rush hour. There is simply NO WAY you are driving that distance through all those traffic lights and all that traffic in 20 minutes.

No. This does not happen.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:52 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,376,398 times
Quote:
It can take 20 minutes to get from Mopac to Breckenridge on more days than not - that's NOT during rush hour. There is simply NO WAY you are driving that distance through all those traffic lights and all that traffic in 20 minutes.

What are you talking about? It's five minutes from MOPAC to Brack or back along Enfield unless its the height of rush hour when it might take ten.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
No. That won't happen.

No. This does not happen.
Yes, it does happen. Every Sunday. Would it happen during the week? No. But I said that it was to church on Sundays, not during rush hour during the week. I leave my house at 10:00 every Sunday morning and am getting out of my car at church at 10:25.

And I don't know where the heck you get that it takes 20 minutes from MoPac to Brackenridge on Enfield/15th, especially on a Sunday morning.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:18 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,762,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
Yes, it does happen. Every Sunday. Would it happen during the week? No. But I said that it was to church on Sundays, not during rush hour during the week. I leave my house at 10:00 every Sunday morning and am getting out of my car at church at 10:25.

And I don't know where the heck you get that it takes 20 minutes from MoPac to Brackenridge on Enfield/15th, especially on a Sunday morning.
First of all - everyone should look up the definition of "can".

Secondly - you said 20 - not 25 minutes. So that's a full 20% slower than your original post.

Third - congratulations, you identified the one time during the week where it's feasible (if luck is on your side AND you speed through most of it) that you can make the trip in 25 minutes (not 20 as you originally stated and which I quite correctly pointed out does not happen).

But for most people most times - this is a 30-45 minute trip - at least.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:59 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,737,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernamenottaken View Post
I lived in SoCal for 18 years, so traffic doesn't bother me. Yes there is traffic, so what? It may take you 20 min or 40 min, big deal, plan for it. If you are from CA, it's no big deal.
Were you on that skit 'The Californians' on Saturday Night Live?

Old 05-06-2013, 12:26 PM

625 posts, read 1,134,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Were you on that skit 'The Californians' on Saturday Night Live?
lol
Click image for larger version

Name:	Whuuturyuuduhinghere1.gif
Views:	857
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	111290

Old 05-06-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:

Secondly - you said 20 - not 25 minutes. So that's a full 20% slower than your original post.

Third - congratulations, you identified the one time during the week where it's feasible (if luck is on your side AND you speed through most of it) that you can make the trip in 25 minutes (not 20 as you originally stated and which I quite correctly pointed out does not happen).

- can1 [kan; unstressed kuhn] present singular 1st person can, 2nd can or ( Archaic ) canst, 3rd can, present plural can; past singular 1st person could, 2nd could or ( Archaic ) couldst, 3rd could, past plural could. For auxiliary verb: imperative, infinitive, and participles lacking. For verb (Obsolete): imperative can; infinitive can; past participle could; present participle cun·ning.
auxiliary verb 1. to be able to; have the ability, power, or skill to

Seeing as I do this once a week, I CAN get there in 25 minutes, according to the definition you suggestion we look up.

- Here is a quote from my last post, "We do go to church downtown. It takes 25 minutes from my driveway to the parking lot on Sundays." I clearly said 25 minutes (not 20), and I clearly said Sundays, not weekdays or rush hour.

- Again, I thought SUNDAY was pretty clear. Please show me where I said it was possible at other times. You're going to have to look pretty hard, because I never made that claim. And no, that is not speeding nor particularly lucky. It is actual typical for that time.

- Again, I never said it wasn't. I said DURING THE PARTICULAR TIME I GO DOWNTOWN, it does not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin