Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 08:06 PM

6 posts, read 22,716 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Austin Tx end of July and seem to really like Steiner Ranch despite people telling us how isolated it feels from every where. We love the greenery around Steiner. People living outside of Steiner have told me its a pain trying to get in and out of the subdivision during the hours of 7-9am and 4-7pm..yikes!! Is this true? My husband's dr is towards research blvd. Pl help with info if any of you know. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 08:39 PM

648 posts, read 1,964,050 times
This is true. Many folks there telecommute or have traveling husbands.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:59 PM

473 posts, read 1,327,742 times
I live in Steiner. Getting in and out can be slow, but it isn't awful. The worst times are right before the elementary school starts (7:30-745), when the 20mph school zone speed limit is strictly enforced and the crossing guards are out. But it's not that bad, and I don't think it's at its worst for those entire two hours. Last year two big intersections (Steiner/Quinlan and Country Trails/Quinlan) had lights put in where four-way stop signs used to be. This has helped tremendously. Also, getting in at night has gotten a lot better since they changed 620 to include additional turn lanes into Steiner earlier this year. Traffic is about 1/3 as backed up as it used to be. In fact, depending on where you are from, you might not even think it is bad at all. Compared to where I came from in California, it is really not a huge factor.

Also, I don't think Steiner feels isolated at all. I only hear that from people who don't live here. Everything you need is close by, and you can be downtown in 20 minutes on weekend and non-peak times. I love it here and would highly recommend it. There is an incredible sense of community, the schools are top-notch, everyone is extremely friendly, and it is a beautiful area with the two lakes and ample greenery. If you move out here, I can't imagine you not loving it. Everyone in my area loves it and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:25 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickOfCalifornia View Post
... you can be downtown in 20 minutes on weekend and non-peak times. .
I am really reluctant to challenge the experience of anyone who actually lives in Steiner when it comes to the time needed to drive downtown. I would also accept that "downtown" can encompass a pretty big area, depending on whom you talk to.

But it is eighteen miles from Steiner to Congress and First. If you can drive those roads, over those hills, with all the lights, and average just under 60 MPH, you need to be in a car at the F1 race this fall.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:03 AM

10 posts, read 14,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
I am really reluctant to challenge the experience of anyone who actually lives in Steiner when it comes to the time needed to drive downtown. I would also accept that "downtown" can encompass a pretty big area, depending on whom you talk to.

But it is eighteen miles from Steiner to Congress and First. If you can drive those roads, over those hills, with all the lights, and average just under 60 MPH, you need to be in a car at the F1 race this fall.
I just drove from 4th and Colorado to Steiner Ranch in a little more than 20 minutes at about 11:30pm.

I left for that area from Steiner at about 20 minutes after 6 and didn't hit traffic anywhere.

According to Google Maps, the front of Steiner to Mopac and west 5th is 15 miles and takes about 22 minutes this time of night - N Quinlan Park Rd to Loop 1 S - Google Maps

Old 07-13-2012, 05:30 AM

597 posts, read 1,316,875 times
My understanding is that Steiner has like one major road in and out. I think it's a flaw in the design and there's nothing that can be done about it

Old 07-13-2012, 05:42 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfresca View Post
My understanding is that Steiner has like one major road in and out. I think it's a flaw in the design and there's nothing that can be done about it
No, there's two roads. Quinlan and Steiner Ranch Blvd. like the folks who live there have said, it can back up, but has improved quite a bit in the last 2 years or so.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:33 AM

6 posts, read 22,716 times
Thank you all for your replies. How long will it take to get from Research Blvd into Steiner during peak time? Will 7am during the week still hit bad traffic inside Steiner?

Old 07-13-2012, 06:39 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,165 times
7 AM, no - 7:30, yes. Steiner to Research/Burnet during peak is about 25-30 minutes. About the same coming back. Of course, this does depend on how far back in Steiner you are.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:25 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,420,386 times
I agree with SIckof California. I live in Steiner too and don't feel isolated at all. Everything I need is within a few miles. I also like the fact that I can walk to shops, restaurants, etc.

The worst traffic is by far 2222, but you will not have to deal with that. Getting to Research Blvd shouldn't be too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin