Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 07:43 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Thanks! We are expanding our search as far north as the Great Hills CC area(looks like access to 360 and 183 is a little easier than some of the neighborhoods off 2222). The aerial views look much like those of our Highlands, NC mountain house in that the roads are necessarily shaped by topography.

We won't have a regular commute but will make frequent trips to Mopac & 2222 area as well as Balcones Woods. We are planning a trip out next week(mayhaps only DW on this trip) to begin a more serious, up-close search.
I live in Great Hills and find that it is really easy to get downtown even during rush hour. I can get downtown in about 15 minutes with no traffic backups and 30 minutes with heavy traffic on mopac. I typically take a few of the exits and get back on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 08:56 PM
fil

364 posts, read 1,627,571 times
Again, pick a couple of spots and try the commute for yourselves

If you're thinking about Great Hills, I'm at the end of GH off of my road.

My front road would be McNeil/Spicewood Springs, which is a nice, winding, country backroad road to 2222 or straight to McNeil which hits 183 and then Parmer. Towards McNeil gets me to I45 in minutes (actually quicker than Anderson Mill since the on ramp is a 1/4 mi from the 183/McNeil intersection with no stop lights)

If I cut through neighborhoods, I can also go through Texas Plume and Yaupon and Rain Creek Parkway, but I have not had to go this route.

The back road is Anderson Mill which takes me to 620 or to 183 and then Parmer which can get me to I45 in minutes.

I can't give you insight to UT travel, but I suggest going I35-S from 183 instead of Mopac (rt 1). Mopac is not a fun road, it's like I20 and Panola Rd at the height of traffic or I85S and Steve Reynolds or 400 and Mansell (just listen to ATL radio and those are the same hotspots).

Grant Park is nice.
If you're use to remodeling and don't want a commute, check out Hyde Park (I35 and 51st 1/2 St). Very similar feel with a splash of Little Five Points and intermixed with UT. It's also a good investment neighborhood.

Also, it depends where your husband will be working for UT.
JJ Pickle Research Center is about 15 minutes from me.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:07 PM

3 posts, read 10,070 times
Default Anderson Mill VS Balcones/Spicewood area

I've lived in Anderson Mill for 20 years. It really depends on the age of your children. The houses in the Balcones/Spicewood areas are a bit more pricier and most middle school aged children will want to attend Canyon Vista Middle School as opposed to Grisham Middle School. My children attended Spicewood Elementary and then Grisham. They thought the world would come to an end. But alas, fewer kids feed into Grisham due to the area being landlocked which equated to more team sport opportunities with fewer kids to compete against. Both middle schools feed into Westwood High School.
My children knew twice as many students once they got to high school since they had experienced the best of both worlds. Good luck with your search.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:41 PM

35 posts, read 114,282 times
Smile Best neighborhood for families

I live in Twin Creeks and I think it is the best neighborhood in the area. We have an exemplary elementary school and alot of parents who are actively involved in their kids education. Twin Creeks also has the best pools - which are important here because of the heat in the summer. The neighborhood is also very convinient to after school activities and shopping. The traffic is almost nonexistant now that 183A is complete and Anderson Mill is being widened.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:45 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,280,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocate2boys View Post
I live in Twin Creeks and I think it is the best neighborhood in the area. We have an exemplary elementary school and alot of parents who are actively involved in their kids education. Twin Creeks also has the best pools - which are important here because of the heat in the summer. The neighborhood is also very convinient to after school activities and shopping. The traffic is almost nonexistant now that 183A is complete and Anderson Mill is being widened.
Twin Creeks is awesome, but I think the OP is looking at the affordability of neighborhoods, and from what I've seen, Twin Creeks is significantly more pricey than Anderson Mill.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:03 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,187,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fil View Post
Again, pick a couple of spots and try the commute for yourselves

If you're thinking about Great Hills, I'm at the end of GH off of my road.

My front road would be McNeil/Spicewood Springs, which is a nice, winding, country backroad road to 2222 or straight to McNeil which hits 183 and then Parmer. Towards McNeil gets me to I45 in minutes (actually quicker than Anderson Mill since the on ramp is a 1/4 mi from the 183/McNeil intersection with no stop lights)

If I cut through neighborhoods, I can also go through Texas Plume and Yaupon and Rain Creek Parkway, but I have not had to go this route.

The back road is Anderson Mill which takes me to 620 or to 183 and then Parmer which can get me to I45 in minutes.

I can't give you insight to UT travel, but I suggest going I35-S from 183 instead of Mopac (rt 1). Mopac is not a fun road, it's like I20 and Panola Rd at the height of traffic or I85S and Steve Reynolds or 400 and Mansell (just listen to ATL radio and those are the same hotspots).

Grant Park is nice.
If you're use to remodeling and don't want a commute, check out Hyde Park (I35 and 51st 1/2 St). Very similar feel with a splash of Little Five Points and intermixed with UT. It's also a good investment neighborhood.

Also, it depends where your husband will be working for UT.
JJ Pickle Research Center is about 15 minutes from me.
Thanks! Good info.

Hyde Park would be right up our alley except we need at least 2000 sq. ft and we can't afford it there -- if there are many houses at least 2000. Any of the searches seem to come up with 1200-1700 sq ft. We live in 1500 sq ft with 2 dogs, 1 baby, 7 computers, and tons of books. It's nuts! So like it or not, we're setting our sights on the burbs. (Guess I'll be signing up for the mini-van next. )

Old 10-31-2007, 03:04 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,187,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnoel56 View Post
I've lived in Anderson Mill for 20 years. It really depends on the age of your children. The houses in the Balcones/Spicewood areas are a bit more pricier and most middle school aged children will want to attend Canyon Vista Middle School as opposed to Grisham Middle School. My children attended Spicewood Elementary and then Grisham. They thought the world would come to an end. But alas, fewer kids feed into Grisham due to the area being landlocked which equated to more team sport opportunities with fewer kids to compete against. Both middle schools feed into Westwood High School.
My children knew twice as many students once they got to high school since they had experienced the best of both worlds. Good luck with your search.
I have a one year old.

Why do the kids prefer Canyon Vista? Just because of sports? We're not a sporty family so that isn't a concern for us.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:09 PM

4 posts, read 18,159 times
Anderson Mill is a great location to live!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: