Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 05:15 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,765,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaday View Post
The city council can say it will cost $1500-2000 but it's the builder that sets the final costs that are passed down to you. Wouldn't be surprised if a builder charged a modification or custom design fee for the homes in Austin that need the changes.
The builder expects about 20% return - so if the cost to the builder is 2000 that would mean about 2400 added to the purchase price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 05:31 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,564,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
The builder expects about 20% return - so if the cost to the builder is 2000 that would mean about 2400 added to the purchase price.
And if you believe that, I've got some beachfront property on Brushy Creek.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:34 PM

163 posts, read 409,108 times
Um... the stuff mentioned in the article (no step up to the front door, a first floor bathroom, lever handles) costs absolutely nothing extra on typical new construction. This is much ado about nothing.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:24 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,196,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
Um... the stuff mentioned in the article (no step up to the front door, a first floor bathroom, lever handles) costs absolutely nothing extra on typical new construction. This is much ado about nothing.
I don't agree. What if the floor plan for that 1st floor half bath is rather cozy? The kind of bathroom off the entry way? With no way for a wheelchair to get in and out? Modifying that is not free.

What if the house has a common 3 step concrete step up to the front door because of a slope? Adding a ramp is significant, probably involves concrete, and might alter the entire cosmetics of the house?

Even if it is free, why should the city government force a new home buyer to do this when the odds are gigantic that no one with a wheelchair will ever visit the home?

Old 05-16-2013, 08:59 PM

198 posts, read 397,883 times
Quote:
Exactly, until the official proposal is in place, we have no idea what other "stuff" may become a requirement. The original bag ban proposal and specific details changed over time before it finally became law. What the article says today could completely change.

And have you built a new house lately? We're in the process of talking to two different builders and there are so many things you can and can't change due to city regulations and city inspectors.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:58 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,976,831 times
It won't happen. What you're witnessing one vocal advocate for accessibility. ADA is all about public spaces. Trying to bring it into single family dwellings won't happen in my lifetime, however weird we see or perceive things in Austin.

On the national building code scene there is an organization called the US Access Board. It's a group within DOJ that deals with ADA issues (and please don't yell at me about this - I'm just trying to present some perspective). They are a very intelligent, reasonable group on construction issues on accessibility. They have never advocated this on a national level.

Put this in the much ado about nothing box.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:08 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,984,962 times
Quote:
You must have never built a house. ANY change -- even to move one little electrical outlet to another location or to change knob handles to levers costs money, and in some cases, LOTS of it. (Bathrooms can run many extra thousands of dollars to floor plans!) Plus, I DON'T LIKE lever handles yet this would force me to have them. Stupid. Thank goodness Cedar Park still has some sense about it!

Old 05-17-2013, 07:10 AM

157 posts, read 267,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post
It won't happen. What you're witnessing one vocal advocate for accessibility. ADA is all about public spaces. Trying to bring it into single family dwellings won't happen in my lifetime, however weird we see or perceive things in Austin.

On the national building code scene there is an organization called the US Access Board. It's a group within DOJ that deals with ADA issues (and please don't yell at me about this - I'm just trying to present some perspective). They are a very intelligent, reasonable group on construction issues on accessibility. They have never advocated this on a national level.

Put this in the much ado about nothing box.
I think you're probably right. But the fact that they're even considering something like this makes me think these clowns have gotten too big for their britches.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:18 AM

912 posts, read 1,286,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
You must have never built a house. ANY change -- even to move one little electrical outlet to another location or to change knob handles to levers costs money, and in some cases, LOTS of it. (Bathrooms can run many extra thousands of dollars to floor plans!) Plus, I DON'T LIKE lever handles yet this would force me to have them. Stupid. Thank goodness Cedar Park still has some sense about it!
Lever handles are actually much more difficult to baby proof than normal doorknobs, and much easier for small children to figure out. It's a safety risk for families with young children to have lever handles on a bathroom door.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:31 AM

81 posts, read 221,935 times
Any sane progressive-minded person should be completely opposed to this. This would just infuriate the voters and wreck any chance of effecting actual positive changes in the future. This idea needs to go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin