Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 01:07 PM

318 posts, read 670,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snjnt22 View Post
Actually At&t with uverse caps out at 250gb. and it is 10$ more for 50gb, then 10$ more for another 50. If you do a lot of work, and a lot of Data, I reccomend twc. Also from experience with At&t uverse, if your box is down, you have no phone, internet nor TV. and it isn't replaced right away, it takes like 3 days and then if you do not know system settup, you have to wait more days.
I've not had that experience with Uverse. It's been fast, reliable, and the only time I had an issue they were here the same day fixing it.

TWC was inconsistent, spotty, and slow for me (rental house). I was glad to switch when we moved.

I work from home, so I need a reliable service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,463 times
I don't have U Verse and thinking of getting, but does anyone know if the cable wires are still active in other rooms to connect a TV without a U verse box. like Time Warner cable where you see basic TV channels.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:48 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,589,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Plantin At A View Post
well here is my dilemma. I have ATT uverse TV & Internet (max= 18 mbps). I am cancelling the TV, we just dont watch tv. we (me & GF) just watch netflix or play video games. I am trying to figure out whether i should go with TWC or stick with ATT. now with ATT, yes we have never had outages or problem, but i cant get the amount of bandwidth (guessing, might be mistaking for speed). We play play online games with 2 xbox 360. but only the xbox that gets turned on first grabs all the internet. so say i race to my xbox and turn it on before my GF. My NAT is open while hers is on strict. I also have a Xbox One in the living room, if we go from the xbox one from watching netflix and turn it off to go play. both of the 360's is on strict. only way i can atleast get one of the 360s to be open is if i unplug router and plug it back in as if it is reseting. Is this due to lack of speed or bandwidth? if so to either one, what should i do?
I'm no techie, and your post is old, but in case someone else is looking up this info. I wanted to post what I know, so they'd have the benefit of seeing it, in case it's helpful.

You say "strict," which I'm unfamiliar with. I think that's probably what my dsl provider calls "limited" service. When the gateway or whatever isn't fully open.

"Limited" has happened to me on occasion when my modem is beginning to go out. So there is that. I reset it, and the router, and everything is fine. Until it happens again. When it kept happening, eventually my modem would not work much at all, so that was an indication my modem was going out. I got a new modem. No more "limited" issues.

I have only 3mbps (dsl). That's right. Only 3. 3mbps actually streams movies beautifully. I have maybe one or two 2-second buffers a month, at most, on my Roku. Otherwise, it's smooth as butter. BUT, how the 3mbps affects me is that if I try to use a second device for the internet (say, my laptop), the laptop is v-e-r-y s-l-o-w. It works, but is extremely slow. That's because the 3mpbs isn't enough to support two devices using the internet, when one is streaming movies. My laptop doesn't say "limited," usually, in those instances. It's just slow.

So it's possible that your speed/bandwidth isn't quite enough for multiple xbox gaming devices. I suspect they are bandwidth hogs, and 18mbps just isn't quite enough. Your resetting issue after you run across the "strict" problem is just what your router & modem require after something that attempts to overuse them, is my guess. Unless they are old or going out, I don't see resetting as a big deal.

Time Warner no longer even allows wireless for less than 20mbps accounts. I'm guessing there have been too many issues with gamers and such trying to use the bandwidth with multiple devices (cable internet affects the whole neighborhood).

Just a couple of thoughts on the possible causes of your issues.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:31 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times
I have TW 100 mbps and it works nice. Never have outages.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:43 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,280,583 times
I was inches away from dropping TWC as my ISP. Was waiting for AT&T to introduce Gigapower to my neighborhood. Then TWC upgraded to 300 Mbps for the same price as 50, and the service has gotten VERY stable (think it was as much the upgraded modem I had to buy to get 300 Mbps as the stability of the service).

Also, have a WiFi iPad and the extensive availability of the TWC public network access points around Austin (and also nationally) has been a real plus for my situation.

Color me converted.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:45 AM

46 posts, read 61,341 times
Well, we signed up for internet only AT&T and never got the instillation but the bill sure showed up on time, took a month and about two dozen hours of various calls to get those charges off our record and not affecting our credit.

Then signed up with TW and it worked fairly well, a few glitches now and then but they got cleared up fast enough.

Problem is: we decided to cancel all internet for a while (gasp!) And I turned in the modem at TW's MoPac office and told them I wanted to stop the service. Well, guess what folks? Three months have gone by and they're still trying to charge us. Saying we never specifically cancelled, even though I turned in the dang modem and *told* them I wanted out. Two techs stopped by to collect bills and fiddle with the 'hub', which happens to be in our backyard. Each time I told them that we haven't had the internet for some time.

Still, they're trying to charge us, knowing darn well NO internet traffic is going through this residence and...and..and! Even if we had purchased our own modem, wouldn't they have to approve it first?

That's my question I wish someone would address: if I had bought my own random modem, would I have to check with them before using the service (that they can surely verify we were not getting or at least using!)
There's been no traffic one way or another going through this residence, surely they can verify that!

So frustrating.
Good customer service, as usual for most companies, until you try to quit them.

Please someone answer this question for me!

What should I do?

Old 12-02-2014, 11:54 AM

207 posts, read 859,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louche View Post
Well, we signed up for internet only AT&T and never got the instillation but the bill sure showed up on time, took a month and about two dozen hours of various calls to get those charges off our record and not affecting our credit.

Then signed up with TW and it worked fairly well, a few glitches now and then but they got cleared up fast enough.

Problem is: we decided to cancel all internet for a while (gasp!) And I turned in the modem at TW's MoPac office and told them I wanted to stop the service. Well, guess what folks? Three months have gone by and they're still trying to charge us. Saying we never specifically cancelled, even though I turned in the dang modem and *told* them I wanted out. Two techs stopped by to collect bills and fiddle with the 'hub', which happens to be in our backyard. Each time I told them that we haven't had the internet for some time.

Still, they're trying to charge us, knowing darn well NO internet traffic is going through this residence and...and..and! Even if we had purchased our own modem, wouldn't they have to approve it first?

That's my question I wish someone would address: if I had bought my own random modem, would I have to check with them before using the service (that they can surely verify we were not getting or at least using!)
There's been no traffic one way or another going through this residence, surely they can verify that!

So frustrating.

What should I do?
Yes, you would have to activate the modem before you could use it. TWC would then have a record of the modem on your account.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:30 PM

5,868 posts, read 11,930,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louche View Post

So frustrating.

What should I do?
We had our own modem and a TWC tech had to activate it, I would not imagine just plugging in a random modem would work. And yes, they should be able to "see" the modem activity on your line. Our modem went out recently and the tech who helped diagnose the issue over the phone said "I'm not able to see any activity on your modem", so I know they have that ability.

When you call, do you talk to the billing department or customer service? The billing department probably can't see that activity. You might try going through regular customer service support.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:36 AM

46 posts, read 61,341 times
Called em up tonight, even installed an app to record the call (legal in Texas) and got it sorted out quickly. I think part of it is that my wife is from Monterrey Mexico and has an accent. Maybe that led to some confusion?

Anyways, was on hold for 15 mins, then 25, but in the end he said that (somehow) *they* owed us 6 dollars, as opposed to the 200+ fee they were trying to charge.

Again, maybe they were just trying to take advantage of my wife? Thinking she's 'stupid' or 'gullible' simply because her English isnt perfecto. Or, I dunno what. But, once I got him on tape saying he saw the note that we'd returned the modem, I felt a great weight lifted, as we had actually lost the receipt! So all turned out fine and we now have the 50 ultimate plan. (And a six dollar check in the mail, somehow!)

One more question: does having the 'hub' (green two foot tall thing they fiddle with to connect service) for the neighborhood internet ...in my backyard mean my service will be faster?

Does that make sense?

Anyways, thanks.
I still think twc has been better for us than at&t but don't have much experience.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:44 AM

26 posts, read 33,382 times
I've had TWC and ATT Uverse internet. I have no specific problems with either but still wouldn't invite them over for Christmas Dinner.

I currently have TWC 300 because ATT wanted to charge me the same amount for 18 down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin