Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 08:26 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times

Advertisements

Education Realty opens new Austin student housing community - Austin Business Journal

304 student housing units.

Obviously there is still a huge demand for this - they need to keep building these towers in WC until the demand eases a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 10:00 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,737,268 times
Yes, I agree. The only downside is the 'verticalization' of West Campus looking more and more like the northern extension of downtown seems to have radicalized the nearby neighborhood activists of West Campus, Judges Hill, and North University (NUNA) neighborhoods against any home which even looks remotely McMansion of being a phantom "stealth dorm" when the sizzling central Austin real estate market clearly favors large, luxury single-family homes for upscale, urban professionals [$500-700k range], not group housing.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:49 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Education Realty opens new Austin student housing community - Austin Business Journal

304 student housing units.

Obviously there is still a huge demand for this - they need to keep building these towers in WC until the demand eases a bit.
If they'd stop building non-student housing in West and North Campuses, maybe there would be some places for the students to live? When I attended UT in the mid 80s, there were 46,000 students. There seemed to be enough housing back then for students to live West Campus, North Campus, near DT, Clarksville and Riverside. I'm curious to know if a lot of that old student housing stock is now being used up by newcomers.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:56 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
If they'd stop building non-student housing in West and North Campuses, maybe there would be some places for the students to live? When I attended UT in the mid 80s, there were 46,000 students. There seemed to be enough housing back then for students to live West Campus, North Campus, near DT, Clarksville and Riverside. I'm curious to know if a lot of that old student housing stock is now being used up by newcomers.
I've wondered about that myself. But even back when I lived in West Campus, there was a significant percentage of non UT students living there. There were folks going to ACC, Concordia, plus many "in between" students who were not currently enrolled but had recently dropped out, graduated, or were in the process of switching to UT or ACC. Then there were the slackers who just fit the age profile or near it and wanted to be there.

Bottom line, I wonder what percentage of the residents in West Campus are actually currently enrolled at UT. Maybe 40-50%? Perhaps as high as 60-70%, but maybe not.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:52 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
City Council made explicit that the increase in height allowances in WC was made so that Riverside in particular could house more seniors, working families, etc. No time to search but the Austin Chronicle had a big article about this at the time.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:29 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,578,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
This is largely anecdotal, granted, but as a student and resident of West Campus for the past two years, I'd say basically everything being built in West Campus now is "luxury" student housing occupied almost solely by students, upwards of 75%. With gridlock and parking becoming bigger issues and with the average income of the families of UT students skyrocketing, all the students want to live right by campus in the convenient and/or party neighborhood and their parents are willing to pay for it. The student population is actually concentrating inward into West Campus. I might even venture say places like Hyde Park and North Campus are losing a bit of their student population.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:41 AM

625 posts, read 1,134,066 times
High-end housing moves into West Campus | KXAN.com

Old 07-28-2013, 03:08 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
This is largely anecdotal, granted, but as a student and resident of West Campus for the past two years, I'd say basically everything being built in West Campus now is "luxury" student housing occupied almost solely by students, upwards of 75%. With gridlock and parking becoming bigger issues and with the average income of the families of UT students skyrocketing, all the students want to live right by campus in the convenient and/or party neighborhood and their parents are willing to pay for it. The student population is actually concentrating inward into West Campus. I might even venture say places like Hyde Park and North Campus are losing a bit of their student population.
This is not really a new phenomenon. The fratholes' parents have always shelled out big bucks so that their spawn could live in West Campus. In the 80s, there were a lot of condos being built, but they weren't high rise. The condos between 25th and 26th, Rio Grande and Nueces were new in the early 80s as were the condos on the northside of 24th between Rio Grande & Pearl. The Centennial condos came a little later. Castilian and Dobey were already there. $1,000/mo may seem steep, but it does come with food, internet, swimming pool,etc. Considering what everything costs now (inflation), it doesn't seem that bad to me.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:39 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
... and with the average income of the families of UT students skyrocketing, ...
Not saying you are wrong, but is that just an assumption, or are there real numbers behind that?

Old 07-28-2013, 05:04 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,376,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
Yes, I agree. The only downside is the 'verticalization' of West Campus looking more and more like the northern extension of downtown seems to have radicalized the nearby neighborhood activists of West Campus, Judges Hill, and North University (NUNA) neighborhoods against any home which even looks remotely McMansion of being a phantom "stealth dorm" when the sizzling central Austin real estate market clearly favors large, luxury single-family homes for upscale, urban professionals [$500-700k range], not group housing.
That's not even close to true. The whole point of the West Campus overlay was to maintain SFH in North University. The stealth dorms are basically breaking that deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin