Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 09:51 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times

Advertisements

We are going to be clearing hogs from land and may end up with too much meat. Does anyone know of a place where we could take the extra meat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 10:05 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,677 times
My freezer?

Old 10-01-2013, 11:29 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Call and ask if they take hogs.

Hunters For the Hungry - TFBN

Quote:
Hunters for the Hungry is a statewide hunger relief program dedicated to providing a healthy source of protein to needy Texans. In Texas, 1 in 5 people live in households that struggle to afford food.
Hunters for the Hungry facilitates the donation of freshly harvested deer to local food banks through a network of participating processors. Hunters only need to bring their deer to the nearest processor and pay a small processing fee to participate.
Since the program’s inception, Texas Hunters for the Hungry has provided nearly 2.5 million pounds of meat – or an estimated 10 million servings – to Texans in need. In 2013, the Texas Association of Community Action Agencies, Inc., entered into an agreement with the Texas Food Bank Network to assume management of the Texas Hunters for the Hungry program.
Find a Processor Near You!
We are currently assembling a list of processors in Texas. Please check back for a full list, and contact Lee Pipkin below if you require assistance in the meantime.
Questions?
For more information on this program, contact Lee Pipkin at (325) 617-2228 or lpipkin@tfbn.org.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:05 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
You might get a better response in the Texas forum rather then in a "City" forum. Some of my web searches indicate that distribution of feral hog meat to food pantries may be illegal in Texas. But those were individual opinions, not anything from an official source.

Quote:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...ce/feral_hogs/

Do feral hogs carry disease?
In general, diseases from wild hogs do not pose a significant threat to humans; however, some diseases can be transmitted to livestock and wildlife. It is important to keep all livestock vaccinated, especially where large feral hog populations are concentrated.
Various diseases of wild hogs include pseudorabies, swine brucellosis, tuberculosis, bubonic plague, tularemia, hog cholera, foot and mouth disease, and anthrax. Internal parasites include kidney worms, stomach worms, round worms and whipworms. Liver flukes and trichinosis are also found in hogs. External parasites include dog ticks, fleas and hog lice.

What is pseudorabies and swine brucellosis?
Pseudorabies, also known as "mad itch" is a swine herpes virus that may affect the respiratory, nervous and reproductive systems. Despite its name, it is not a rabies type disease but derives its name from the symptoms similar to a rabid animal. It is transmitted primarily through breeding but may also to be transmitted through respiratory secretions of the infected animal. Infected adult swine typically develop flu-like symptoms whereas young pigs can have severe respiratory and digestive symptoms and ultimately die. Pseudorabies poses no threat to humans but may be fatal to domestic livestock and pets.
Swine Brucellosis is an infectious, bacterial, reproductive disease that can cause abortion, low conception rates and other problems. It is transmittable to humans, known as undulant fever, and causes flu-like symptoms such as fever, chills, aches and pains. It is treatable with specific antibiotics.

How do I keep from contracting diseases?

Texas Parks and Wildlife Department recommends all hunters use disposable plastic or rubber gloves when field dressing or cleaning wild swine. Bury or burn the gloves and entrails and then wash your hands with soap and hot water. And finally, make sure the meat is thoroughly cooked.

Is the meat good to eat?

Yes, meat from feral hogs is extremely tasty and much leaner than penraised pork. The meat from older boars may be tougher and rank tasting if not prepared adequately. As with all pork, care should be taken and the meat well cooked. Otherwise, it should be prepared just like market hogs. The slower the meat is cooked, the more tender and tasty it becomes.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:27 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
distribution of feral hog meat to food pantries may be illegal in Texas
I believe this is still true, they have been working on fixing it for a few years, but did not get around to it this legislature.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:15 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
I think you may have to resort to loading the freezers of friends and family and volunteers from City-Data, of course. Me and Mamacatnv have got your back!

Old 10-02-2013, 02:04 PM

45 posts, read 89,426 times
If it comes to volunteers, I'll gladly throw my name in the hat

Old 10-02-2013, 02:20 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
OP, I reckon the folks over at Texas Gun Talk would have some ideas...many of them are central Texas hunters and land owners who perhaps face similar 'overages' of meat from time to time...
Texas Gun Talk - The Premier Texas Gun Forum

Old 10-02-2013, 06:56 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
hah ok, Ill let you guys know. We are only going to take ones less than 150 lbs.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:13 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
Thanks for "clearing out" those feral pigs. They are most certainly a blight on the land, and I appreciate hunters who spend their energies helping out with their elimination. I know they are smart, and it isn't necessarily an easy thing to do. Good hunting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin