U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 03-11-2012, 08:44 PM
 
4,013 posts, read 6,105,062 times
Reputation: 1614
Default Where to sell goat meat

thinking about raising goats. Does anyone know where to sell the goats for meat and what current prices are per lb? Also what kind of goats are preferred locally? (wethered vs bucks and what type)
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-11-2012, 09:32 PM
 
75 posts, read 87,469 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
thinking about raising goats. Does anyone know where to sell the goats for meat and what current prices are per lb? Also what kind of goats are preferred locally? (wethered vs bucks and what type)

While I am not experienced in raising animals for consumption, I want to commend you on this decision! Goat meat is severely lacking in Austin, imo.

The only type I have seen here are Boer Goats, and I think selling them in Farmers Markets or at smaller, specialty stores may be your best bet. You could also consider selling goat meat at farmers' stands (several in the area, in addition to the farmers markets) or as part of CSA boxes with other farmers.

Good luck.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 10:02 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
74,367 posts, read 34,513,740 times
Reputation: 17814
First of all NO bucks..do not butcher and sell bucks.
I sent you a PM with some info.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 10:55 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
499 posts, read 594,896 times
Reputation: 350
yum!

Muslim/halal meat markets in town sell a decent amount of goat; prices seem comparable to lamb. Of course you'll have to do halal slaughter and I'm not sure if you need some certification or anything for that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 12:10 AM
 
4,013 posts, read 6,105,062 times
Reputation: 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
First of all NO bucks..do not butcher and sell bucks.
I sent you a PM with some info.
thanks!

As you mentioned selling slaughtered meat requires certification so I would most likely sell whole animals.

thanks for all the links!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 06:16 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
74,367 posts, read 34,513,740 times
Reputation: 17814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
thanks!

As you mentioned selling slaughtered meat requires certification so I would most likely sell whole animals.

thanks for all the links!
No problem. Also, I suggest you start off small and then build yourself up.
Word of mouth goes a long way once you start selling direct.

Contact other farms raising and selling goats and visit them and ask questions.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 07:50 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
8,690 posts, read 17,643,517 times
Reputation: 3517
We raised goats when I was a kid, and although I had no idea what they were sold for, it seems we sold most of them to the construction crews that passed our house on their way home .
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Central Texas
16,247 posts, read 22,156,849 times
Reputation: 12416
Selling whole animals is very feasible. You can even deliver them, upon the customer's instruction, to the slaughterhouse of their choosing. They'd have to deal directly with the slaughterhouse to order the slaughter done and to give instructions for cutting.

You might want to consider custom raising, too. They purchase the young goat from you and you raise it to their specifications as far as feed, etc., is concerned.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 09:43 AM
 
4,013 posts, read 6,105,062 times
Reputation: 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Selling whole animals is very feasible. You can even deliver them, upon the customer's instruction, to the slaughterhouse of their choosing. They'd have to deal directly with the slaughterhouse to order the slaughter done and to give instructions for cutting.

You might want to consider custom raising, too. They purchase the young goat from you and you raise it to their specifications as far as feed, etc., is concerned.
ok great ideas, thanks!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top