Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 01:04 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,511,964 times

Advertisements

We have a bond election coming up in November for affordable housing. You might ask-Why should affordable housing be a concern?

A belief that everyone should be able to afford a decent place to live is a moral concern. In Austin as in the US the income gap between rich and poor appears to me, to be increasing. Greater wealth for many unavoidably puts upward pressure on housing prices, squeezing those with less income.
A community or government representing us can take steps to stimulate affordable housing, or to mandate or require a certain number of affordable housing units. Then affordable housing has legal justification as well.
Without affordable housing, our communities will become more uniform. We and our children may lose the opportunity to interact with people who may be in different economic or cultural circumstances, to learn from them and to enjoy their company.
Keep Austin Weird is a logo that has some local street cred behind it. If things continue as they are it might instead read “Keep The Weird in Austin (they can’t afford it and are moving away)”.
Despite recent economic prosperity for many Americans, affordable housing in the United States is scarce and growing scarcer.
"[Households with worst case needs] represent 5 percent of the Nation's population and a disturbing one-sixth of all U.S. renters. Without Federal, state, or local housing assistance, these renting families face severe financial pressures -- many are merely a paycheck or unexpected medical bill away from homelessness." Do we want more homeless people in Austin? No.

Provisons of the bond include: Home Repair Programs, Home Ownership Programs, Rental Housing Development Assistance.
In Austin in 2012 we voted to give money to library facility improvements and not affordable housing. Food, clothing and shelter are the 3 basic needs and library is not on that list. There are reasons why affordable housing took a backseat. The group representing funding for library facility improvements was more vocal. Now we have a chance to make things right-vote for affordable housing on the ballot in November.

Some of my info I got from the following site:
Providing Affordable Housing for All
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 01:10 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,764,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
We have a bond election coming up in November for affordable housing. You might ask-Why should affordable housing be a concern?

A belief that everyone should be able to afford a decent place to live is a moral concern. In Austin as in the US the income gap between rich and poor appears to me, to be increasing. Greater wealth for many unavoidably puts upward pressure on housing prices, squeezing those with less income.
A community or government representing us can take steps to stimulate affordable housing, or to mandate or require a certain number of affordable housing units. Then affordable housing has legal justification as well.
Without affordable housing, our communities will become more uniform. We and our children may lose the opportunity to interact with people who may be in different economic or cultural circumstances, to learn from them and to enjoy their company.
Keep Austin Weird is a logo that has some local street cred behind it. If things continue as they are it might instead read “Keep The Weird in Austin (they can’t afford it and are moving away)”.
Despite recent economic prosperity for many Americans, affordable housing in the United States is scarce and growing scarcer.
"[Households with worst case needs] represent 5 percent of the Nation's population and a disturbing one-sixth of all U.S. renters. Without Federal, state, or local housing assistance, these renting families face severe financial pressures -- many are merely a paycheck or unexpected medical bill away from homelessness." Do we want more homeless people in Austin? No.

Provisons of the bond include: Home Repair Programs, Home Ownership Programs, Rental Housing Development Assistance.
In Austin in 2012 we voted to give money to library facility improvements and not affordable housing. Food, clothing and shelter are the 3 basic needs and library is not on that list. There are reasons why affordable housing took a backseat. The group representing funding for library facility improvements was more vocal. Now we have a chance to make things right-vote for affordable housing on the ballot in November.

Some of my info I got from the following site:
Providing Affordable Housing for All
I'll support this on the day, and not a day before, the city council enacts policies that will allow for a vast increase of supply of new housing in the center city. Until then, all programs like this do are reward a few lottery winners and do nothing real about the real affordability crisis this city is in fact in.

If you want to do something real about affordability - I'm on board. Until then this is just making those who harm the poor the most doing the smallest possible amount to assuage their guilt. No thank you.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:10 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,281,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
Since the demand for below market rate housing in Austin will always exceed supply, I was wondering how you would ration the supply?

Old 10-04-2013, 06:18 PM

176 posts, read 350,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
I'll support this on the day, and not a day before, the city council enacts policies that will allow for a vast increase of supply of new housing in the center city. Until then, all programs like this do are reward a few lottery winners and do nothing real about the real affordability crisis this city is in fact in.

If you want to do something real about affordability - I'm on board. Until then this is just making those who harm the poor the most doing the smallest possible amount to assuage their guilt. No thank you.

I agree.

The city council has done more harm to housing affordability over the years than any bond proposal could ever correct. The inability to build in many central neighborhoods is a huge reason for "stealth dorms." Even worse, the council is still considering an ordinance that will require inspections of all rental properties even when they have no complaints, which will no doubt lead to many "technical" violations on older properties, requiring expensive repairs.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:36 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,436,557 times
Why are the even bothering with a bond election? Last time the was an affordable housing bond on the ballot, it didn't pass. But the city council went ahead and did it anyway. So why do they even bother to ask people to vote on it?

Old 10-04-2013, 09:17 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,190,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
Why are the even bothering with a bond election? Last time the was an affordable housing bond on the ballot, it didn't pass. But the city council went ahead and did it anyway. So why do they even bother to ask people to vote on it?
Not sure that is what happened. The city cannot issue bonds without voter approval. They can spend general funds, but not issue bonds.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:58 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,653,691 times
Quote:
They can spend general funds, but not issue bonds.
Yup, bond failed last time, so they spent about the same amount from the general fund.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:42 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,087,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Yup, bond failed last time, so they spent about the same amount from the general fund.
Exactly, they ignored the will of the people and spent our tax dollars anyway. Now they are throwing another bond election as us. I am voting against it just on that principal. I hate the way they have been packaging bond issues together to force us to approve things that we don't support in order to approve bonds that we do support. They will find me approving very few bond issues as long as they continue that practice.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:07 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,976,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Exactly, they ignored the will of the people and spent our tax dollars anyway. Now they are throwing another bond election as us. I am voting against it just on that principal. I hate the way they have been packaging bond issues together to force us to approve things that we don't support in order to approve bonds that we do support. They will find me approving very few bond issues as long as they continue that practice.
I've even been hesitant on some of the transportation bond packages because from my view, I'm not seeing equity for various parts of the City. I'm also suspect given that Travis County was in the process of spending $33 million for a road improvement on FM 812 that would really be beneficial to the Circuit of The Americas.

I've been writing letters to City Council for the past 8 years asking that South Congress be widened from Eberhart Ln. to W. Slaughter Lane. Two bond elections ago, funding was approved for engineering the project. I still haven't seen any action. I understand CIP transportation dollars for those of us want to upgrade our own infrastructure are limited, but I find the Bond Committee seems to get its queues from folks who have little connection to the respective areas of town.

As to the Affordable Housing bond, its horse crap. I've seen several of these Cities in The Box built as Smart Housing but I have yet to have a clear explanation of what is affordable from the developers. The 704 (the apartment that wraps around the Broken Spoke) and one of the developments on South Shore District drive are examples of multi-million dollar apartments that are not priced for affordability unless $1500/month meets your definition of affordable for a 811 square foot box with granite countertops and stainless appliances.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:18 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,764,309 times
We Should All Be On Supply’s Side | citytank

You cannot solve affordability with bond programs. To make any kind of dent whatsoever, it must be done through increasing supply. Please do not support this sham that will continue to give cover to the city council from doing something real about affordable housing.

Affordability will absolutely kill Austin if we don't take critical steps to ensure adequate housing base to meet dramatically increased demand. THESE BOND PROGRAMS ARE NOT ONLY EXPENSIVE _ THEY WILL NOT WORK.

Austin is following the same disastrous policies that made San Francisco the most expensive and exclusive city in the US. And while we wont ever be as expensive as San Francisco, we'll continue to be far far more expensive than we should be as long as we follow similar land use policies.

If you care about Austin affordability - please do NOT vote in favor of this bond package. Instead, send a message to city council that now is the time to revisit the policies that are rapidly making central Austin an enclave and playground of the very wealthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: