Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 08:40 AM

21 posts, read 30,996 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking for houses in Lakeway...what are the good and bad builders? Right now I know to stay away from Toll Bris.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 10:03 AM

327 posts, read 774,741 times
Toll Brothers is a national builder, I'm surprised you're avoiding them. Are you looking for a custom home or are you looking to build in one of the planned communities in Lakeway?

Old 03-08-2014, 10:06 AM

I'm looking in planned communities. I've heard TB in alta vista is bad.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:33 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
First, let me say I only have personal experience with one builder currently building in the LT school district (when you say Lakeway, I presume you mean the whole district. If not, please ignore). I won't tell you who - PM me and I will give you the full rundown.

That said, we looked at every development out there. For us, being able to change things was important. Taylor Morrison seemed REALLY against that. Drees was completely open to the idea, as was Weekley. Both of them have great reputations. Since we moved in, we've visited the Grand Haven model. I would move in that house tomorrow. The only other builder in RH I have experience with is Standard Pacific. I don't think they are the equal of others in the $500K+ market.

Good luck!

Old 03-08-2014, 12:08 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
We pay our housekeeper $110 to clean once every two weeks. And usually give her the month off with pay at Christmas time. She has been working for us for years and is like part of the family.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:16 PM

29 posts, read 31,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
We pay our housekeeper $110 to clean once every two weeks. And usually give her the month off with pay at Christmas time. She has been working for us for years and is like part of the family.
Hmmm, wrong thread replied to?

Old 03-08-2014, 12:55 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,737,268 times
Before deciding on any home builders, I highly recommend that you visit the Austin area (and its several different environments) first to see if you would actually like living here. Austin is nothing like Chicago.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
Austin is nothing like Chicago.
Chicago is very "neighborhoody"...I live in River North, which is downtown right by all the art galleries, and restaurants. We have very little crime in my area...not like you see on TV at all. During the summer Chicago has street festivals every weekend, which I love. There are also lots of music festivals and tons of live music. So to me, Austin seems like my part of Chicago, but with better weather. Am I wrong to assume that?

Old 03-08-2014, 04:43 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsladeasu View Post
Chicago is very "neighborhoody"...I live in River North, which is downtown right by all the art galleries, and restaurants. We have very little crime in my area...not like you see on TV at all. During the summer Chicago has street festivals every weekend, which I love. There are also lots of music festivals and tons of live music. So to me, Austin seems like my part of Chicago, but with better weather. Am I wrong to assume that?

Austin might be! But not Lakeway.

And I'm also puzzled with the Toll Brothers hate, they are big national production builder, generally better than average quality for a production build

Old 03-08-2014, 05:24 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Austin might be! But not Lakeway.

And I'm also puzzled with the Toll Brothers hate, they are big national production builder, generally better than average quality for a production build
I'm puzzled about Toll Brother's too. They are a good, expensive builder. People overpay for their bells and whistles because of their name and quality. I've sold houses in Alta Vista and the last listing I had sold in hours with multiple offers... and when that unreasonable buyer backed out, I received multiple offers again the next day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin