Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 04:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,570,733 times

Advertisements

When I came here I rented for a year as well and spent weekends driving around.
Where I ended up wasn't even on my list of "places to live" that I had when I arrived.
Visiting for a week or so is way different then living here. Think in terms of months before you start to get a feel for things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 05:08 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,859,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldcitymer View Post
Yes- if we bought in a year we wouldn't care if we were in a top rated district like eanes or lake travis. Looking too much into school districts now really limits what we can get in the budget of 425k or forces us to increase our budget.

This is the plan:

First- Arrive and rent a place for 1 year to get a good feel of the city.

1. After one year of renting, buy in an area that is "more affordable" than top hoods like the Eanes ones.. for around 425k. Live for 5 years or so.. Maybe have kids in this period.

2. Sell starter house before kids enter elementary school.

3. Buy another house and this time really look into the schools which probably means spending more than what we sold house 1 for.

I am 100% against buying right away. I want to rent for one year. We don't know if love Austin enough to stay and I don't think it's a good idea to buy a house when starting a new job.. too risky.. sure houses might be more in 2015 than they are now, but at least we won't get stuck in a neighborhood we don't know much about.
You've fallen solidly into buying the school district hype. The top HS in Austin isn't even in one of those two districts, and kids (that I'm aware of) have never attended a district. They've attended schools.

Seriously, rent. And do so with an open mind.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:09 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,378,096 times
Come here. Figure out how easy it is to get to and from where you are working. Then narrow down housing choices.

Transportation is the ruling, dominant variable in Austin.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:10 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,068,876 times
Quote:

If the market really is increasing as much as you are suggesting, in 5 years, we will have benefitted from the increase in housing when we sell our own house, our salaries will be higher and we will can use the equity/ profit from the house to upgrade into a better house. Without having tied up so much into housing..

I have heard so many conflicting things about the housing trends.. is the next 12 months a good time to buy?
You will have benefited from appreciation of your smaller home, but the move-up home you will want at that later time will have appreciated by even more (dollar for dollar) because of the higher basis, and may have increased at a higher percentage than your salaries if your salary increases will be in the 3-5% range. Waiting to buy the bigger home works financially in a flat or declining market, but not in a hyper-appreciating market. The market could very well run away from you in 5 years as it unfortunately has now for many renters who waited.

NY Times just updated its Rent vs Buy Calculator.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ator.html?_r=0

Even renting a home at 0.5% per month of sales value (for example a $400K home for $2,000/mo), which would be below market rent, doesn't cause the "Rent" to be the better choice.

My bottom line point is:

1) renting for a year is safe, no argument there, but you'll pay more on your purchase in a year so it might not be financially better.

2) Buying a home you can grow into instead of grow out of is the better financial move when you do buy. I'll let you do your own math, but don't forget to include transaction costs, the hassle/stress of moving, appreciation, and the uncertainty/possibility of rising prices reducing your candidate areas 5 years from now compared to what you can afford today, at extremely low interest rates as well.

Good luck and welcome to Austin!

Steve

Last edited by austin-steve; 05-24-2014 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 05-24-2014, 05:15 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,378,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
You will have benefited from appreciation of your smaller home, but the move-up home you will want at that later time will have appreciated by even more because of the higher basis, and may have increased at a higher percentage than your salaries if your salary increases will be in the 3-5% range. Waiting to buy the bigger home works financially in a flat or declining market, but not in a hyper-appreciating market. The market could very well run away from you in 5 years as it unfortunately has now for many renters who waited.
This. When I bought in North University at 185Kish bigger houses in Hyde Park/North University were in the mid-to-high 200s (as I recall). Even though we have had had amazing appreciation, the gap between our house value and those house values has grown from 80-100Kish back then to at least double that amount today.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:36 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,859,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
You will have benefited from appreciation of your smaller home, but the move-up home you will want at that later time will have appreciated by even more (dollar for dollar) because of the higher basis, and may have increased at a higher percentage than your salaries if your salary increases will be in the 3-5% range. Waiting to buy the bigger home works financially in a flat or declining market, but not in a hyper-appreciating market. The market could very well run away from you in 5 years as it unfortunately has now for many renters who waited.

NY Times just updated its Rent vs Buy Calculator.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ator.html?_r=0

Even renting a home at 0.5% per month of sales value (for example a $400K home for $2,000/mo), which would be below market rent, doesn't cause the "Rent" to be the better choice.

My bottom line point is:

1) renting for a year is safe, no argument there, but you'll pay more on your purchase in a year so it might not be financially better.

2) Buying a home you can grow into instead of grow out of is the better financial move when you do buy. I'll let you do your own math, but don't forget to include transaction costs, the hassle/stress of moving, appreciation, and the uncertainty/possibility of rising prices reducing your candidate areas 5 years from now compared to what you can afford today, at extremely low interest rates as well.

Good luck and welcome to Austin!

Steve
This is all well and good, when you know EXACTLY where you want to buy. Rolling in sight unseen, and buying your "move up" home is regret waiting to happen.

Nobody here can accurately predict exactly what the next twelve months will bring, anymore the the OP can throw a dart at a map and say "here it is".

Old 05-24-2014, 06:12 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,165,215 times
In the history of the universe, has a realtor ever not recommended that *now* is always the best time to buy a house, lol?

Old 05-24-2014, 07:58 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,068,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
This is all well and good, when you know EXACTLY where you want to buy. Rolling in sight unseen, and buying your "move up" home is regret waiting to happen.

Nobody here can accurately predict exactly what the next twelve months will bring, anymore the the OP can throw a dart at a map and say "here it is".
Buyers do it every day. It's simply trading one risk for another. Agreed that it's not the right move for everyone though. And, as the archives of these forums show, it's not hard that to narrow things down in the Austin metro areas for those who know what they want, which is usually a specific location close to work, good schools, and nearby lifestyle amenities within a size/budget parameter.

Steve

Old 05-24-2014, 08:12 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,438,254 times
Quote:
If you were interested in buying a house or a townhouse that you would live in for around 5 years.. assume no kids or kids that haven't started school and plan to move in about 5 years to get into a better school district/ bigger home.. which areas would you look for a 425k budget 2-3 bed/ 2+bath.. with the intent that the area would probably remain solid or go up in the next few years? We would possibly be interested in doing renovations. We are also open to Lakeway, TX but does anything think it might have issues holding its value?

We are renting first but considering buying a home in 1 year. Work from home.
SW Austin is your best bet for appreciations. Circle C, Meridian, Reunion Ranch, etc.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:55 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,165,215 times
While I'm on board with the SW Austin (Dripping Springs area) for decent appreciation, I'm not sold on Reunion Ranch (it seems to be a lovely community, but a bit remote from the schools, etc., so while I looked at it as a possibility for my own relo, I actually chose to move much closer to town and would expect others to perhaps arrive at a similar conclusion).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: