Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 10:17 AM

182 posts, read 694,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrollinhoneybadger View Post
I consult for a company out of Maryland. So I tend to work a lot out of my house. Travel every once in awhile up to the office.
I'm in the same boat. I moved from MD to Hill Country, love it here. So, take a look on SW, such as Driftwood and Dripping Springs. Great schools, big lots and very nice people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 10:28 AM

109 posts, read 148,464 times
Thank you Moonlady & SergeL - given me a lot to think about.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:03 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I've lived north and southwest. It's really hard to describe what's different about each area, but they all do have their own vibe. Lakeway started out as primarily a retirement community which isn't necessarily true anymore. Dripping used to be a sleepy little town that didn't really qualify as a suburb but has gained a lot of popularity and growth in the last 10 years so there are more families but it still has a bit of rural feel to it. Cedar Park and Leander are very suburban and define your typical bedroom community with lots of families and an abundance of big box shopping.

People generally pick where they'll live based on where they work (due to traffic) and what kind of home/community they want. Sounds like you have your pick, so you just may need to visit the various areas and see how well they fit with what you're looking for.
This is a good description. Lakeway origins = Lake and Retirement. Dripping was Ranching more than anything else. Many very large tracts of land that have been whittled down over the years, thus the lack of a "planned" feel over time.

I do think Leander and Cedar Park have graduated from their Bedroom Community origins though, and are now full fledged standalone cities of the Austin Metro, the threshold being that you don't have to drive out of the community to shop or find typical amenities.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin