Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 06:37 PM

189 posts, read 296,583 times

Advertisements

Well, mosquitoes are way worse this year than last year. Everyone else experiencing the same with all this rain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 07:00 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,217,846 times
I saw some out on the patio earlier and did a double-take... couldn't believe there were as many as there were in APRIL.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:08 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Nope, no mosquito bites so far this season. My advice: dump out all containers, search the yard for any stagnant water and dump it out or put chlorine bleach in it. If you have any fountains, chlorinate them heavily with a shock treatment. Put a drop of chlorine bleach in your bird bath too. I only had mosquitoes in 2007 at my house, none since then.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Nope, no mosquito bites so far this season. My advice: dump out all containers, search the yard for any stagnant water and dump it out or put chlorine bleach in it. If you have any fountains, chlorinate them heavily with a shock treatment. Put a drop of chlorine bleach in your bird bath too. I only had mosquitoes in 2007 at my house, none since then.
We've been through this. (Just because they aren't at cBach's extra special abode doesn't mean they aren't an issue elsewhere!)

Austin winters for a younger snow bird?

How bad is the mosquito problem in texas?

Depends on where you live in Austin.

Again, we have no standing water, perfectly manicured yard and a very large zapper. It's not just us, it's the entire area and people often post about it on larger neighborhood forums. Clearly they are a problem in certain areas and not in others.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:37 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
No, I haven't seen a single one! But as long as we keep clear of standing water in the yard -- and I haven't even done that yet -- we are usually good because we live under the regular flight path of the Congress Bridge bats!! they work hard every night!

Old 04-13-2015, 09:46 PM

174 posts, read 311,958 times
No standing water in our backyard and I found three bites from standing in the backyard last week throwing the ball around with the pooch.

Just need to put a fan outside and stand in it I'd rather deal with mosquitos than buffalo gnats - they are super swarmy, fast and their bite is incredibly painful and the welts are huge! However, it did cause me to go faster during my afternoon runs!

Old 04-14-2015, 05:38 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
We've been through this. (Just because they aren't at cBach's extra special abode doesn't mean they aren't an issue elsewhere!)

Austin winters for a younger snow bird?

How bad is the mosquito problem in texas?

Depends on where you live in Austin.

Again, we have no standing water, perfectly manicured yard and a very large zapper. It's not just us, it's the entire area and people often post about it on larger neighborhood forums. Clearly they are a problem in certain areas and not in others.
The reason they aren't at my "extra special abode" is because, having grown up in Louisiana, I know how to get rid of all sources of their reproduction. I guarantee there is a source somewhere, how about gutters, areas in the street where it isn't level, spades left in the yard, kid dump trucks left in the yard (always park them with the slope pointing downwards).

A neighbor commented on how mosquito free my yard was and I pointed out the standing water thing and he said "we already did that". I said "let me inspect your yard." When I did, I found about 10 sources of standing water for mosquito reproduction.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The reason they aren't at my "extra special abode" is because, having grown up in Louisiana, I know how to get rid of all sources of their reproduction. I guarantee there is a source somewhere, how about gutters, areas in the street where it isn't level, spades left in the yard, kid dump trucks left in the yard (always park them with the slope pointing downwards).

A neighbor commented on how mosquito free my yard was and I pointed out the standing water thing and he said "we already did that". I said "let me inspect your yard." When I did, I found about 10 sources of standing water for mosquito reproduction.
As I said before everyone in our entire school zone complains of a mosquito issues. Sorry, there's not a source of standing water in each yard of 600 houses. I don't know why it's so hard to fathom that it's an issue in some areas and less in others... especially when there have been others on this board who claim the same. Now our area has more live oak than the majority of Austin, they are everywhere. Mosquitos like shade. Perhaps we can cut them all down.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:51 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
We havent had mosquito problems yet this year and we go outside every single day until about 7:30. Im sure it will be bad. Im usually the first to get bitten..

eliminating standing water definitely works.

Idlewile - I doubt you actually talked to all 600 people and I doubt that any of the 600 people have really looked for sources of standing water. In addition if any of your neighbors have them then obviously they will come over to your yard.

Also if you live near a green belt there is almost certainly standing water on rock outcroppings, puddles, etc

The puddles can even just be moist areas in a low area of your yard hidden by grass.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post

Idlewile - I doubt you actually talked to all 600 people and I doubt that any of the 600 people have really looked for sources of standing water. In addition if any of your neighbors have them then obviously they will come over to your yard.
No greenbelt. Large yard with 40+ oaks, as mentioned. I think the shade and oak cover is more to blame than anything.

Where did I say I talked with 600 neighbors? I said it is a hot topic of conversation on our giant list serve. Most residents are not idiots despite what you two infer and are of aware of standing water concerns, especially after hiring mosquito mitigation companies after clearing their yards to combat the issue but you and cbach are free to educate them. But I am glad to hear Laurel Mountain et al. is currently mosquito free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin