Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 10:09 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,979,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
When I last did the math it was $9/ride
That's assuming all the current Uber/Lyft drivers (many of which also have other jobs) are willing to work during rush hour?

And that they're willing to be paid $9 to sit in rush hour traffic for an hour?

And does that include buying them a bunch of handicapped accessible vehicles?

And does that include Billions for all the highway expansions necessary (all the highways are capacity constrained, light rail adds capacity that would need to be added some other way)?

TNC companies (and taxis) can play an important part of the overall transportation system.

But no way, no how are they a replacement for transit.

They _may_ be able to help for extremely sparse areas, where often the transit is already on-demand. But not for $9.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 10:13 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,311,158 times
There doing background checks in Houston for drivers

Old 01-29-2016, 10:55 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,827,179 times
Quote:
I wonder what the "cost per ride" math would look like for subsidized Uber/Lyft as an alternative to light rail and/or replacement for busses
That's a very interesting question. I assume it will be answered not by Uber in its current form, but by driverless cars. There are already Uber pilot programs for accessible vehicles.

If I had to make a prediction, I would guess that we'd see a hybrid-style driverless bus on the economy end of the mass transit scale. It'll never be efficient for any vehicle to stop at everybody's residence, but 10-12 passenger vans with the ability to re-route based on demand would reduce some of the infrastructure required. Your overall ridership would go way up, but efficiency of each ride would also go way up, so you wouldn't have empty busses.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:48 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,123,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
That's assuming all the current Uber/Lyft drivers (many of which also have other jobs) are willing to work during rush hour?

And that they're willing to be paid $9 to sit in rush hour traffic for an hour?

And does that include buying them a bunch of handicapped accessible vehicles?

And does that include Billions for all the highway expansions necessary (all the highways are capacity constrained, light rail adds capacity that would need to be added some other way)?

TNC companies (and taxis) can play an important part of the overall transportation system.

But no way, no how are they a replacement for transit.

They _may_ be able to help for extremely sparse areas, where often the transit is already on-demand. But not for $9.
9/rider trip was for metro rail not for uber

Old 01-30-2016, 10:30 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,732,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
I like to approach these questions from the perspective of 'if there was no industry at all, how would you design it?'
Yes!

The first thing I would do is get the government out of the way and see how the market develops. If customers want newer cars, somebody will meet that need. If customers want drivers who have been fingerprinted, the market will supply those drivers. Government should never control the number of taxis we have and should never be involved in pricing this product.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:46 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,051,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes!

The first thing I would do is get the government out of the way and see how the market develops. If customers want newer cars, somebody will meet that need. If customers want drivers who have been fingerprinted, the market will supply those drivers. Government should never control the number of taxis we have and should never be involved in pricing this product.
I don't think "no government" is that's what he was saying. I would not want an unregulated transportation industry. The issue is that regulations designed pre-technology don't always fit well, so "how would we do it today" from scratch is a valid question.

Sometimes the bridge between the divide is hard to span. I'm a low government, Libertarian minded person in most cases, but government does and should have a role in public safety.

There is an article in Fortune Magazine from yesterday about the Uber Austin battle.
Uber, Lyft Fight Austin Over Fingerprints - Fortune

Old 01-30-2016, 11:04 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,827,179 times
Even libertarian me believes the state has an interest in regulating certain parts of the transportation industry. Anyone who has ever been to an airport in a country without this kind of enforcement knows that the market has not historically been the best at serving the consumer's interest.

Even that could be different now, since the transportation companies without decent apps and posted rates won't last long (what do you mean, you need me to pay cash?)

But I wouldn't categorically say that the government has no interest. It's just tough to contain. Look at LAX, where every taxi pickup earns Los Angeles $4 for doing next to nothing. Total government control is no different than (and often worse than) monopoly control.

Same thing with fingerprints. If there is something about what the city council wants that will actually facilitate real security, I'm all ears. But "let's solve all your problems" politicians, of which the city council has more than a few, don't have a great track record on knowing when to stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin