Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 03:42 PM

24 posts, read 19,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I don't think cops can parole a whole neighborhood.

Seriously though, there's more $$ for the city coffers in catching speeders than there is in following UPS trucks around to see if crooks are stealing the dropped off packages.

It is your city politicians who are setting those enforcement policies, not the police department itself. Elect city council members who share your concerns.

We always insure our packages in case of loss.
We have an active Facebook group for our neighborhood and as soon as the cops who live in our neighborhood found out what was going on, we had officers patrolling our neighborhood.

In fact one time we had some high school kids breaking into cars and I caught one of them on my camera. One of those cops messaged me on Facebook to see the footage and within a day we saw a bunch of sheriff cars at the kids house and the break in's stopped.

No legislation, or policy changes required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 05:05 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,083,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512Rachel View Post
We have an active Facebook group for our neighborhood and as soon as the cops who live in our neighborhood found out what was going on, we had officers patrolling our neighborhood.

In fact one time we had some high school kids breaking into cars and I caught one of them on my camera. One of those cops messaged me on Facebook to see the footage and within a day we saw a bunch of sheriff cars at the kids house and the break in's stopped.

I notified Austin 311 about the mail boxes being broken into:

Quote:
Last night someone used a prybar to break open the gang mailboxes at Blanco River Pass, 78749. They were fine when I picked up my mail Sat. evening, but most if not all were broken open when I dropped off a NetFlix a short while ago. Many of them had mail still in the box. I happened to see a USPS truck delivering Amazon boxes so I reported it to him. He said he would advise his superiors tomorrow. I will follow up tomorrow (Monday) to make sure they are notified. This has been happening often all around our neighborhood. I was told I should report it to 311 as well as USPS. Thank you!
and they replied:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting the City of Austin. I am definitely sorry to hear that you are experiencing mail theft in your neighborhood. Unfortunately, Austin 311 or Austin Police Department do not address any mail issues. Mail theft is reported exclusively to the United States Postal Service 24 hour Consumer Help line at 1-800-275-8777.

If you should have any questions or concerns, please feel free to email us at Austin311@austintexas.gov or call at 512-974-2000 or 311.
Note: I did not say anything about "mail theft". I thought they would be more interested in the destruction of private property and vandalism.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:51 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,352,455 times
Quote:

Well, you are lucky to have officers who live in your neighborhood. Obviously they have a vested interest in stopping such thievery.
Not all neighborhoods have police living in them.

Years ago, a federal BATFE agent lived next door to me, so that was reassuring - until after the Branch Davidian tragedy near Waco, then he & his colleagues started getting lots of serious death threats. So serious that he parked his "company" truck on the street and remote started it every morning before going to work. We half expected to hear an explosion out front for months afterwards.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:16 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,799 times
Quote:
Well, you are lucky to have officers who live in your neighborhood. Obviously they have a vested interest in stopping such thievery.

Yes, exactly. Where I come from, that's what you call a "hook up." That neighborhood got hooked up with extra patrol because officers live there. Police officers look out for each other...VERY well.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:48 AM

24 posts, read 19,068 times
Quote:

Years ago, a federal BATFE agent lived next door to me, so that was reassuring - until after the Branch Davidian tragedy near Waco, then he & his colleagues started getting lots of serious death threats. So serious that he parked his "company" truck on the street and remote started it every morning before going to work. We half expected to hear an explosion out front for months afterwards.
Yes it is nice, I was quite impressed with how quickly and efficiency they stopped the problem. Which is why I made the statement I did before. It only takes a couple cops driving through the neighborhoods to make a major impact. It doesn't have to be a huge police effort with cops sitting on every corner.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:11 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,559,521 times
Quote:
Yes it is nice, I was quite impressed with how quickly and efficiency they stopped the problem. Which is why I made the statement I did before. It only takes a couple cops driving through the neighborhoods to make a major impact. It doesn't have to be a huge police effort with cops sitting on every corner.
On the other hand, Facebook has some pretty good video of a perp walking in to the WilCo Sheriff's covered courtyard and trying to break into his vehicle!!! Some folks just aren't too bright!!!

Old 10-07-2017, 10:25 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,352,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
On the other hand, Facebook has some pretty good video of a perp walking in to the WilCo Sheriff's covered courtyard and trying to break into his vehicle!!! Some folks just aren't too bright!!!
Like the guy who tried to rob the cop bar out in Vegas years ago? lol

Old 10-07-2017, 11:35 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,434,906 times
Been a big problem in Steiner Ranch too. The HOA has replaced some mailboxes already and is replacing the rest in the near future.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:19 AM

140 posts, read 139,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Yesterday I saw a news headline stream by on CBS saying mail thefts and check forgeries are up in Travis County. Going to the website to try and learn more I found this article about 3 people being arrested in Bastrop County.

Three arrested for multiple mail thefts/check forgeries in Bastrop Co. | KEYE...

and this article saying North Austin has been experiencing similar community mailboxes broken into.

Mail thieves target North Austin neighborhood for second time | KEYE...

I did not find any more specifics regarding the headline I had seen. But here have been a rash of mailboxes broken into and things stolen in my neighborhood, SW Austin, reported in Nextdoor.com .

Someone in my Nextdoor.com neighborhood group posted these videos that he caught of a possible suspect rummaging through his mailbox. Attached below are some screen capture images I took from the videos.

One of the three people arrested in Bastrop County bears some similarity to our video suspect. But I can't be sure. I wonder if he has any tattoos?

I have been told that any information regarding the suspect should be reported to the USPS rather than the police.

You can report information to USPS here https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/i...MailTheft.aspx
Just don't expect much help from the police. Sheriff Hernandez looks the other way from the direction Austin is really going. And why wouldn't she. She has broken federal law to allow Austin to shelter the very criminals stealing your mail and hacking your accounts. Sorry, the truth is never politically correct

Old 10-08-2017, 03:56 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcat33 View Post
Just don't expect much help from the police. Sheriff Hernandez looks the other way from the direction Austin is really going. And why wouldn't she. She has broken federal law to allow Austin to shelter the very criminals stealing your mail and hacking your accounts. Sorry, the truth is never politically correct
Sorry, she's the only one who is NOT breaking the law. It is our governor and ICE who want her to ignore the law for their benefit. Several Supreme Court (you know, the highest FEDERAL court in the land) decisions over three different centuries back her up. That pesky due process, you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin