Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,033 times

Advertisements

I have friends lucky enough to live in the Crestview neighborhood. They love it. But the houses are not new. Alot of remodeling and restoration going on. Very charming mid-century neighborhood. Close to transit, shopping and unique eateries. Convenient to downtown. Whenever I visit there are people out walking dogs, jogging or strolling. Quiet, peaceful, friendly in sections south of Anderson Lane.

Another great neighborhood and much less expensive is Wells Branch in North Austin. Too many positives to list, but pretty far from downtown.

IMO Austin beats out Houston any day as long as you enjoy diversity!

Old 02-27-2017, 01:46 PM

209 posts, read 220,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashRiprock View Post
I'd have to agree. In addition to churches and Christians, we have a lot of people who own guns and pickups down here, which can be quite a cultural shock to folks coming from the Northeast. I think California is the place the OP wants to be.
I own a gun as well, therefore I should fit right in.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:01 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water4Life View Post
I own a gun as well, therefore I should fit right in.
Nice.....for some reason I can't get this mental image of Pam Grier out of my head.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:48 PM

163 posts, read 158,939 times
Austin is fine. Move here.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:37 AM

668 posts, read 784,009 times
Austin is and has been historically more segregated than other big cities in Texas. I've lived in Houston and visited Dallas often and both are more diverse.

It has been my experience that Texas in general is more religious than the northeast. Church is still important socially here in a lot of places even though Austin is probably the most atheist-friendly of the big Texas cities.

One of my closer friends is a single black woman who moved here from Chicago. A great job lured her here, but the culture shock was significant. She has struggled with finding a vibrant, upper middle class black community similar to the one she was a part of in Chicago. She is struggling with finding black men to date here, as that is something that is important to her. She was pretty shell-shocked and depressed for quite a while after she got here. She still flies home to Chicago to get her hair done, and has mentioned several times to me that she hasn't been able to find a really top notch black salon to get her (natural) hair done.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:26 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water4Life View Post
....I'm seriously however thinking about relocating to L.A. and renting, in lieu of buying in a state like TX, but only time will tell. I plan to visit in early May.
I think that LA will be a better fit.

Anyone who asks a several questions, receives many informed answers and then finds faults (or worse, jumps to inaccurate conclusions) from the informed answers.....shows a level of rudeness that doesn't go over well in Austin (or Texas).

Old 03-06-2017, 08:23 AM

5,342 posts, read 4,430,050 times
Since the OP has been answered and, the thread has gone way off topic, it is now closed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin