Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 12:43 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,576,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Thank for the update! Last time I was in the Domain I got lost trying to find a store. It's grown so much.
I was a bit surprised myself when we first checked it out around January. The link below has a pretty good write-up on Rock Rose.

https://austin.eater.com/2016/1/11/1...main-rock-rose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 04:20 PM

240 posts, read 272,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
It's pushing North too, up Burnet Rd and Lamar. The Domain is becoming its own standalone "2nd city" center, though not a nightlife hub.
I figured as much. I live on the south end, so I haven't been up there in a while.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:00 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,355,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
Actually, the newish Rock Rose area of the Domain has definitely turned into a nightlife hub for those of us in the North burbs. It's a bit more upscale, but Friday and Saturday nights are pretty lively on the North side of the Domain for dining and bars. This has just happened in the past year.
Yes, we took note of that in recent weeks. Our Happy Hour group (mostly retired state bureaucrat oldfarts) has met in some of the Domain restaurants for several years, but the wife & I had not really been aware of what was going in over in the new sections.
BTW - we met at Blackfinn's several weeks ago, and I just heard it has closed since then. That place and the Daily Grill (also shuttered) were some of our HH destinations. Guess we'll have to check out some of the newer joints.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:33 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,900,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
I was a bit surprised myself when we first checked it out around January. The link below has a pretty good write-up on Rock Rose.

https://austin.eater.com/2016/1/11/1...main-rock-rose
Yeah I went there for the closer than downtown Turf and Surf Po-boy and found an interesting district where parking is free and there are actually pretty nice restaurants and clubs. I had gotten tired of downtown's increasing downtown parking rates.

The only thing I dislike is the clientele seem a bit more Scottsdale than Austin. I do like the design of the district. The original road of the Domain was poorly designed, the second road was even worse of a design but the new section is very well designed and has a city feel.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:19 AM

420 posts, read 403,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Yeah I went there for the closer than downtown Turf and Surf Po-boy and found an interesting district where parking is free and there are actually pretty nice restaurants and clubs. I had gotten tired of downtown's increasing downtown parking rates.

The only thing I dislike is the clientele seem a bit more Scottsdale than Austin. I do like the design of the district. The original road of the Domain was poorly designed, the second road was even worse of a design but the new section is very well designed and has a city feel.
That "plastic" version of Austin is essentially what the OP is promoting in the South Congress/Lamar/First area.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:06 PM

240 posts, read 272,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite76 View Post
That "plastic" version of Austin is essentially what the OP is promoting in the South Congress/Lamar/First area.
I assume that will slowly get developed into something. It's hard to imagine it ever being too fancy though just because of what is there now. It's weird to think that it is about 6 miles from the end of Congress at Southpark Meadows to Elizabeth street. Along that route though is lots of empty space. Maybe the value is there for development and maybe it isn't. Either way though, it's doubtful they would build anything like the Domain along it.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite76 View Post
I'm okay with the Domain because it was placed on a spot that was located by fields when I first moved here.

What I don't like is Domain-like developments replacing mom and pop stores.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:25 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,708,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I'm okay with the Domain because it was placed on a spot that was located by fields when I first moved here.

What I don't like is Domain-like developments replacing mom and pop stores.
Agreed. The domain was a master planned (righty?) development where space was planned for these developments. It's not coming into an area and saying "we want you all to be hip with these new stores, bars and shops," like so many things are in other areas of the city.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Agreed. The domain was a master planned (righty?) development where space was planned for these developments. It's not coming into an area and saying "we want you all to be hip with these new stores, bars and shops," like so many things are in other areas of the city.
Yes, the Domain is probably the perfect example of infill that works. The area was zoned commercial and light industrial so what is there is an improvement over what was there or could possibly there. Although the Domain feels Scottsdale-ish, it is a perfect example of urban planning. A++ on that one.

On the other hand, most of the development is not a perfect example. This is probably the worst offender:
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2579...7i13312!8i6656 (Old Armadillo World Headquarters)

Or in the google maps era:

before:
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2599...!7i3328!8i1664

after:
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2599...7i13312!8i6656

(It's a shame what happened to RunTex, I used to like that place)

Or (this one was sad to me, I liked Fran's burgers):
before:
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2455...7i13312!8i6656

after:
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2455...7i13312!8i6656

Old 05-30-2017, 04:33 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,624,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
That right there. Why on earth would we want to see Austin turned into a clone of "the Bay Area"?

And FWIW, Austin has had an opera house of one kind or another since the "cowboy" days. They just ain't as big & fancy as the world class venues, but the fat lady has sung aplenty here in Waterloo.
There have been several albums that were recorded at the Austin Opry House on Academy Street. One of Waylon Jennings best selling albums was "Waylon Live" was recorded mostly at the Austin Opry House in 1974.

I remember an Emmylou Harris and the Hot Band concert at the Austin Opry House around 1985, Emmylou and her Hot Band did a Cajun song and Emmylou sang in Cajun French. The title of the song was "LaCasine Special". After they finished, Emmylou said "recorded live right here in Austin, Texas" and the crowd went wild....About 10 years ago, Emmylou's classic albums from the 70's were remastered and re-released with bonus tracks. One of the bonus tracks on "Quarter Moon In A Ten Cent Town" is a live version of "LaCasine Special" There is no mention of Austin or the Opry House on the recording or in the credits listed in the liner notes. I can't prove it, but I'm pretty sure this version is the version that was recorded that night at the Austin Opry House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin