Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 05:25 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,135,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
Minor comment: Houston has already completed part of its 3rd outer loop (Grand Parkway, aka State Highway 99).

Good thing or bad? I think Houston has reached the stage in its evolution that further developments like that are mainly intended to spur profits for real-estate speculators and developers.

As for Austin, my gut feeling is that all the opposition to highway development (back to the 70s, at least) seems to have led to the opposite situation relative to Houston. Too little highway development vs. too much ... at least for the inner part of the metro area.

When I lived in Austin in the early 70s, people were all convinced that traffic there would never be as bad as in Houston. Now, it is certainly worse than it was in Houston then. To my mind, comparing them now is a wash.
what is interesting is that this path could force us to 1) have a more dense core 2) enable us to afford mass transit solutions.

Once you invest in all the roads and have spread out so far it is impossible to get the density you need to afford mass transit.

The roads will now take too long to build (20 years) but relieving the blocks to density would immediately improve austin as developers start taking down sfh and replacing with 4-8 plexes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 09:34 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
You're joking, right? That's called density! There's a huge difference between a multi-use skyscraper and a low density sea of big box stores with giant parking lots. How much land is that skyscraper taking up compared to a big box store with a parking lot?
Not kidding. When you jam a bunch of skyscrapers into the center of a city that was not built for them so that you can pack a bunch of people in there (and brag about having the tallest building west of the Mississippi), you may prefer to call it density, but it is, indeed, sprawl, just vertical, not horizontal. And it is just as offensive to people who don't like sardine can living as what you prefer to call sprawl is to you.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:09 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,120,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Not kidding. When you jam a bunch of skyscrapers into the center of a city that was not built for them so that you can pack a bunch of people in there (and brag about having the tallest building west of the Mississippi), you may prefer to call it density, but it is, indeed, sprawl, just vertical, not horizontal. And it is just as offensive to people who don't like sardine can living as what you prefer to call sprawl is to you.
A city not built for them? No city is technically "built" for them. They progress to that stage when they're out of options. Do you think NYC and Philly were built for skyscrapers in the beginning? There was no such thing in the 17th & 18th Centuries. Over time, that changed for obvious reasons. Look at cities around the world. There is no such thing as vertical sprawl. The more you pack in, the more dense it is. We began to spread out more because hyper density has its flaws as well. See NYC in the late 19th-early 20th centuries.

Sprawl has to do with how much land you're using. It doesn't matter how high up you build.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:31 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,982,479 times
Quote:
Except those skyscrapers subsidize everyone else, unlike sprawl, which is itself subsidized.

Live how you like, but you should pay for it yourself.

You're basically taking a term, and making it meaningless. What configuration of people _isnt'_ sprawl by your definition? People close together is "sprawl". People far apart is "sprawl".

Old 09-08-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
A city not built for them? No city is technically "built" for them. They progress to that stage when they're out of options. Do you think NYC and Philly were built for skyscrapers in the beginning? There was no such thing in the 17th & 18th Centuries. Over time, that changed for obvious reasons. Look at cities around the world. There is no such thing as vertical sprawl. The more you pack in, the more dense it is. We began to spread out more because hyper density has its flaws as well. See NYC in the late 19th-early 20th centuries.

Sprawl has to do with how much land you're using. It doesn't matter how high up you build.
Sprawl really has to do with how many people you are going to stuff into an area. Texas having land that NYC and Philly don't (are you from one of those places originally, perchance?) hasn't had to go the skyscraper route because we've had elbow room that those places simply don't and haven't because of geography. That's one thing that my comment about being "built for it" means. Another is that Austin has traditionally been an "outdoors" type of town, and skyscrapers are for people whose lives are primarily spent indoors in bee hives and they like it that way. Even Dallas, where I lived before I moved to Austin and which had some skyscrapers even way back then, tends to spread out more than up because there's room to do so.

I'm not crazy about either kind of sprawl, either horizontal or vertical, to be honest, but one kind is to my mind a heck of a lot more human and less dehumanizing than the other.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Except those skyscrapers subsidize everyone else, unlike sprawl, which is itself subsidized.

Live how you like, but you should pay for it yourself.

You're basically taking a term, and making it meaningless. What configuration of people _isnt'_ sprawl by your definition? People close together is "sprawl". People far apart is "sprawl".
Yeah I agree with you. I can understand why many wouldn't want to live in a high rise; however, it's not what constitutes the meaning of the word "sprawl." Downtown Austin cramming in a bunch of high rises and skyscrapers is literally the definition of density.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Sprawl really has to do with how many people you are going to stuff into an area. Texas having land that NYC and Philly don't (are you from one of those places originally, perchance?) hasn't had to go the skyscraper route because we've had elbow room that those places simply don't and haven't because of geography. That's one thing that my comment about being "built for it" means. Another is that Austin has traditionally been an "outdoors" type of town, and skyscrapers are for people whose lives are primarily spent indoors in bee hives and they like it that way. Even Dallas, where I lived before I moved to Austin and which had some skyscrapers even way back then, tends to spread out more than up because there's room to do so.

I'm not crazy about either kind of sprawl, either horizontal or vertical, to be honest, but one kind is to my mind a heck of a lot more human and less dehumanizing than the other.
That's the definition of density. I can understand why you don't like it, but calling it sprawl is like saying the color of the sky is green. What you're advocating for is literally sprawl -- more elbow room for expansion. That's what you want Austin to be -- single family homes on large lots. And to be fair, most of Austin is like that already. It's called suburban sprawl. I know that's a dirty word on the CD forums, but it actually has meaning to it.

Skyscrapers/mid-rises doesn't necessarily mean they're for indoors people. So you mean to tell me that the high rises and condos in Miami aren't for outdoorsy types? I guess they're all sitting in their high rise apartments all day ignoring the beautiful beaches .

I totally understand your preferences and what you would like Austin to be. But you want low density development aka sprawl.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:56 PM

3,080 posts, read 3,267,628 times
Quote:
SAnother is that Austin has traditionally been an "outdoors" type of town, and skyscrapers are for people whose lives are primarily spent indoors in bee hives and they like it that way.

Careful with your stereotyping THL, most everyone I know that lives downtown are exactly the opposite. They LOVE being so close to the "lake", trails, Zilker, etc. Conversely, I know plenty of folks who live in single family homes whose idea of being "outdoors" is once a week when they have to mow the lawn and the time they spend between a building and their car (esp. here in Austin where the heat provides a convenient excuse for those who are a bit less "motivated").

I respect your opinion and while I don't agree with your "dehumanizing" statement, I do think it's useful to consider that given the prices involved, most anyone who lives downtown wants to live downtown and has determined that is their preferred lifestyle. Personally, I find sitting in traffic by far the least attractive aspect of living in a large metro area, far more so than living in a hi-rise. But, that's me.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:58 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,135,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Careful with your stereotyping THL, most everyone I know that lives downtown are exactly the opposite. They LOVE being so close to the "lake", trails, Zilker, etc. Conversely, I know plenty of folks who live in single family homes whose idea of being "outdoors" is once a week when they have to mow the lawn and the time they spend between a building and their car (esp. here in Austin where the heat provides a convenient excuse for those who are a bit less "motivated").

I respect your opinion and while I don't agree with your "dehumanizing" statement, I do think it's useful to consider that given the prices involved, most anyone who lives downtown wants to live downtown and has determined that is their preferred lifestyle. Personally, I find sitting in traffic by far the least attractive aspect of living in a large metro area, far more so than living in a hi-rise. But, that's me.
Sitting in a car for 2 hours a day is way more "dehumanizing" than living in a skyscraper.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Sitting in a car for 2 hours a day is way more "dehumanizing" than living in a skyscraper.
I currently live way out in the country but have a house five minutes from downtown, in Barton Hills so south of the river.

It takes me, on average, one hour to drive from 15 miles north of Georgetown to that house in town. (After a short time here on C-D, for the past few years I have periodically measured that time and it comes in at an hour, five minutes one way or the other). I've had clients that have lived in Hutto, worked in a downtown office building, who consistently reported 20 minute drives to work. (Took almost that long for her to get from parking to the floor of the high rise that her office was on.)

Even if it were a two hour drive daily, two hours in a car is vastly different from 24 hours in a bee hive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin