Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 09:34 AM

2 posts, read 1,990 times

Advertisements

100k home is a used double wide on a 0.5 acre lot. It's pretty good living. Let's fry something!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 05:55 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,929,661 times
Austin will be 10th largest city in the country on 2020 Census: Pop. 1,018,000. San Jose Pop.: 981,000

Old 06-11-2017, 06:11 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,994,810 times
I really think you could do it. Building out - round rock or past Leander, or southeast toward Kyle. 3 bed 1 bath homes, laminate countertops, linoleum flooring or that indoor outdoor kind of carpet, 7 foot ceilings, 10 X 10 bedrooms, kind of boxy without a lot of expensive embellishments, etc, very basic not custom cabinetry. Maybe 1500 square feet. Create a design where the home owner can easily attach a front porch/patio at some point or add another bedroom or bathroom at some point.

I really don't know why there aren't builders in that market.

Instead, there are plans to subsidize housing and make people apply for it and qualify. You just need to build housing small/cheap enough and offer it on the market, first paying customer through the door, and only those who can't afford better would be all that attracted to it.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:40 PM

240 posts, read 272,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I really think you could do it. Building out - round rock or past Leander, or southeast toward Kyle. 3 bed 1 bath homes, laminate countertops, linoleum flooring or that indoor outdoor kind of carpet, 7 foot ceilings, 10 X 10 bedrooms, kind of boxy without a lot of expensive embellishments, etc, very basic not custom cabinetry. Maybe 1500 square feet. Create a design where the home owner can easily attach a front porch/patio at some point or add another bedroom or bathroom at some point.

I really don't know why there aren't builders in that market.

Instead, there are plans to subsidize housing and make people apply for it and qualify. You just need to build housing small/cheap enough and offer it on the market, first paying customer through the door, and only those who can't afford better would be all that attracted to it.
The problem is that you have to pay for land, and that is valued high. There isn't too much point building a cheap house on it because you can only shave so much off the cost.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:30 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,900,720 times
New low value homes are never built, that is not how it works. Middle value homes can and are built, but development costs mean that homes almost always are mid priced. There is always a market for upper valued homes but they have a longer turnaround time, so it's almost always middle valued homes.

Low value homes come onto the market as some homes are not maintained and become "fix-it-uppers" for a cheaper price and those willing to put in elbow grease can upgrade the home as they have the money. Another way is during downturns many houses are foreclosed and you can get big homes for fire sale prices. However, they usually weren't taken care of either as the owners knew they were going to get repossessed.

The solution is not to build, build, build but for those that cannot afford it here to either move further out or sacrifice size. This is the way it is.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:55 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,994,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_ATX View Post
The problem is that you have to pay for land, and that is valued high. There isn't too much point building a cheap house on it because you can only shave so much off the cost.
Yes, I do realize that you have to pay for land. But I still think that on the outskirts of Austin, you could build a home on minimal property and sell it for 100K at profit. I've been watching the market, and think it could be done. I very nearly bought a house last year in South Austin, that had "good bones" and was actually in a kind of nice neighborhood, fairly good schools, 6+ on the good schools ratings. Potential buyers had to buy it outright without going through the house because there were wolves on the property and the owner was going to be foreclosed. I went by, and yes, there were wolves on the property. But anyway, I should have bought it outright for 29K. The lot alone was worth that. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about. Of course, the property was snatched up for the asking price by the time I went by, despite the wolves.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:22 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,355,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
What IS a $100k home, anyway???
Non-existent in the CoA.

In Hayes County....

Old 06-23-2017, 04:36 PM

12,851 posts, read 9,587,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
My son and his lifelong best friend, in their 40's, say San Antonio reminds them of Austin back when they were growing up.
I liked your post, so don't get me wrong, but this is simply not true. San Antonio is much bigger, and different demographics.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:48 AM

27 posts, read 27,940 times
Man.. anyone who wants a "Beverly Hills" in Austin, you're missing the point. People move here to get away from that. Kind of the point here is that nobody shows off, nobody acts wealthy, you'll see zero Ferrari's. Yet, there are hundreds of 2m+ dollar homes.

But, to attempt to answer your question. Downtown is very actively building up, when I moved here 17 years ago there was literally one condo in downtown. Now they are constantly building 4 at a time. You can actually live and work there and not need a car, that's a huge change. I would take Austin's nightlife to any big cities, the food / drinks / people are outstanding imo. As far as traditional big city items like sports team / zoo / museums, I really don't know. Maybe one day, or maybe that was something the other citys did 50 or 100 years ago and it's just not a priority anymore, but not sure.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:27 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,135,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonclegg View Post
Man.. anyone who wants a "Beverly Hills" in Austin, you're missing the point. People move here to get away from that. Kind of the point here is that nobody shows off, nobody acts wealthy, you'll see zero Ferrari's. Yet, there are hundreds of 2m+ dollar homes.

But, to attempt to answer your question. Downtown is very actively building up, when I moved here 17 years ago there was literally one condo in downtown. Now they are constantly building 4 at a time. You can actually live and work there and not need a car, that's a huge change. I would take Austin's nightlife to any big cities, the food / drinks / people are outstanding imo. As far as traditional big city items like sports team / zoo / museums, I really don't know. Maybe one day, or maybe that was something the other citys did 50 or 100 years ago and it's just not a priority anymore, but not sure.
not literally 17 years ago there was at least railyard, brown building and towers at townlake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin