Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 12:29 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKneedep View Post
Usually, it's just common sense - you build up to save space, which is how skyscrapers came to be in the first place. But I'm sure you'll find some irrational feminist argument against this logic as well.

Architecturally, Austin is already more like every other small town in the US. There's nothing special about it. Just your average town that happened to become a popular location. Building huge skyscrapers will make it more unique, something like a "small big city." So if you want it NOT to be like everywhere else, then you should support this.

Now watching you switch to yet another argument in 3, 2, 1...
You have absolutely no idea what feminist means, do you? Just using it as a pejorative in a context that has nothing to do with any definition of the word. Lazy, lazy, lazy.

Building huge skyscrapers does not make it unique in the slightest. I was looking at photos recently of various cities of the skyscraper variety, and it was interesting to see that unless I looked VERY carefully, they all looked pretty much alike. Also, we're not talking about just looks, we're talking about the feel of a community and how things like skyscrapers in excess can destroy it (never mind hordes of people stuffed into said buildings like sardines).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 12:38 PM

169 posts, read 186,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Building huge skyscrapers does not make it unique in the slightest.
Adding high-rise skyscrapers will single out Austin as one of the cities in the US with high-rise skyscrapers. Currently, it's just a town with tall buildings in downtown, like majority of US cities.

Your argument was that you don't want Austin to look like everywhere else. It's a FACT that it currently does. It's also a FACT that if you building some of the highest skyscrapers in TX in Austin then it's going to be more different than majority of other towns.

So what's your argument? I don't understand. Do you want Austin to look like everywhere else, or not?

Quote:
Also, we're not talking about just looks, we're talking about the feel of a community and how things like skyscrapers in excess can destroy it
How do they destroy the community? I'm not aware of this.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:46 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Okay, how about stop trying to make everywhere just like everywhere else? How about THINKING about what you're doing to whatever city you've decided needs to be made over rather than insisting on turning it into Anywhere, USA? Any decent architect knows that where a house is to be located is the first and primary consideration for doing a decent job of design. Apparently all the designers of these skyscrapers know is that phallic is better and that obviously bigger is better as far as phallic is concerned.

I love it when people say "but you can stuff more people into Austin if you do that!" as if that were desirable (treat people like cattle in stockyards, in other words) - yep, create the problem by moving here/encouraging lots and lots and lots of people to move here, then destroy the very things that made you want to move here in order to solve the problem you created. Though I see that you live in Fort Worth - sure hope you're not advocating the same Anywhere, USA solution for that lovely city.

You seem to be taking this way too personally. Austin is a major city... the 11th largest in the country, to be exact. This is what happens with major cities. That doesn't mean that Austin loses its identity or uniqueness, if that's where you're going with this. I'm not getting this "Anywhere USA" stuff because you don't see this in Lubbock.

Maybe you'd be better off living in a small town if that's your attitude about it...

Old 08-06-2017, 12:46 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,411,800 times
Quote:
Okay, how about stop trying to make everywhere just like everywhere else? How about THINKING about what you're doing to whatever city you've decided needs to be made over rather than insisting on turning it into Anywhere, USA? Any decent architect knows that where a house is to be located is the first and primary consideration for doing a decent job of design. Apparently all the designers of these skyscrapers know is that phallic is better and that obviously bigger is better as far as phallic is concerned.

I love it when people say "but you can stuff more people into Austin if you do that!" as if that were desirable (treat people like cattle in stockyards, in other words) - yep, create the problem by moving here/encouraging lots and lots and lots of people to move here, then destroy the very things that made you want to move here in order to solve the problem you created. Though I see that you live in Fort Worth - sure hope you're not advocating the same Anywhere, USA solution for that lovely city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKneedep View Post
Usually, it's just common sense - you build up to save space, which is how skyscrapers came to be in the first place. But I'm sure you'll find some irrational feminist argument against this logic as well.

Do you? Do you really love it?

This is logical fallacy. People are already moving here, and will move regardless if you build skyscrapers or not. So you build skyscrapers because it's easier than building fifty buildings that will host 4 families each. Not building anything will make the rent prices in Austin go up faster than they already do, which is what's happening in Los Angeles now. Again, it's common sense.

Architecturally, Austin is already more like every other small town in the US. There's nothing special about it. Just your average town that happened to become a popular location. Building huge skyscrapers will make it more unique, something like a "small big city." So if you want it NOT to be like everywhere else, then you should support this.

Now watching you switch to yet another argument in 3, 2, 1...
This building is gorgeous and increases the density of the urban core, which in turn, aids in preventing traffic congestion everywhere else in the city. Towers aren't built just to entice more people to move here. Towers are built because there is a greater demand than there is supply. If they weren't built, rent/ home prices would be higher everywhere else in the city and the city would be more spread out, causing worse traffic and longer commute times.

The rule of "if we don't build it, people won't move here" doesn't work. Believe it or not, people still moved here and the city grew! This is what happened in the 60's-80's in Austin when we didn't improve the city's infrastructure and freeways, causing the horrible traffic issues and lack of highways we have today.

It is unbelievable how people just cant understand economics 101. This is basic high school material.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:25 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
This building is gorgeous and increases the density of the urban core, which in turn, aids in preventing traffic congestion everywhere else in the city. Towers aren't built just to entice more people to move here. Towers are built because there is a greater demand than there is supply. If they weren't built, rent/ home prices would be higher everywhere else in the city and the city would be more spread out, causing worse traffic and longer commute times.

The rule of "if we don't build it, people won't move here" doesn't work. Believe it or not, people still moved here and the city grew! This is what happened in the 60's-80's in Austin when we didn't improve the city's infrastructure and freeways, causing the horrible traffic issues and lack of highways we have today.

It is unbelievable how people just cant understand economics 101. This is basic high school material.
Maybe you should think past Economics 101 when you are looking at a living thing like a city. It's unbelievable how many people move to a place from somewhere else, presumably because they like it, and immediately decide to try to make it into somewhere and something else, destroying what it was in the process. That's something that would be better studied in psychology rather than economics, I'd think, because it's a pretty common thing.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:01 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
Nice building...

Old 08-06-2017, 04:42 PM

895 posts, read 1,240,345 times
Texas horse lady.. I'm sorry but I can't believe people like you seriously believe places across the world just stand stil in time. Places either progres or regress. Be happy this city is booming and not dieing. People who move here aren't building skyscrapers by the way. I wish people moving here would start building restaraunts and food places to diversify the eating scene.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:49 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,411,800 times
Quote:
Maybe you should think past Economics 101 when you are looking at a living thing like a city. It's unbelievable how many people move to a place from somewhere else, presumably because they like it, and immediately decide to try to make it into somewhere and something else, destroying what it was in the process. That's something that would be better studied in psychology rather than economics, I'd think, because it's a pretty common thing.
And like all living things, whether you like it or not... cities grow. That means more people, more traffic, more streets, more infrastructure, and more buildings. Austin has over 100 people a day moving into the city. It is the 11th biggest city in the country. Are we just supposed to stop building homes and businesses? Your logic is flawed and closed-minded and is stereo-typical Texan.

Why does San Francisco have a Chinatown? Are they trying to be like Beijing?
Why does NYC have Little Italy? Are they trying to be like Sicily?
Why is south Boston so Irish? Are they trying to be like Dublin?

Anyways, you get the point. Austin is a growing city with growing diversity. With diversity and growth comes new culture and more businesses, homes, and yes, towers.

There are plenty of smaller towns and cities in central Texas and the rest of the state. Texas is huge, there is plenty of land that wont see people or towers being built any time soon if you don't like a growing city.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:15 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post

Why does San Francisco have a Chinatown? Are they trying to be like Beijing?
Why does NYC have Little Italy? Are they trying to be like Sicily?
Why is south Boston so Irish? Are they trying to be like Dublin?
And that should end that.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:37 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,303,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
And that should end that.
Think she was bad? Check out some of the commentary in the article linked: I had no idea how strong the NIMBYism in Austin was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin