Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 10:01 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times

Advertisements

We used to have both, realized we were purchasing at Sam's a lot more than Costco, and dropped the Costco one. That was several years back and I may look at Costco again. I've found the meat at Sam's to be generally excellent.

As for gas, yes, it is a deal, but look around and you'll figure out which places are as cheap or even cheaper. Since my profession requires that I drive a LOT and all over the place, I have a mental map of where the cheapest gas is wherever I am (which may not be either Sam's OR Costco).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 10:02 AM

As for fruit and vegetables, remember, we have The Valley. Plus, you can check local farmer's markets all over the area throughout the week.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:57 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,920,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Another factor will be location(yours and the stores')...I never cared much for the Great Hills Costco traffic; but the Cedar Park location is very convenient to us. The "new" Sam's location at Lakeline was also very convenient and made it easy to give that membership a try.
That's why we have both. Love Costco, but it seems like a chore sometimes. Sam's Lakeline is very convenient, rarely crowded and I've found I like their meat better than Costco. I find enough things at Sam's that save me the cost of the membership so as long as I'm at least breaking even, I'll keep Sams for the convenience.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:31 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Agree. I like the staff better as well.
And I think Costco staff like Costco much more than Sam's Club staff like Sam's. Costco is an excellent model of what an employer ought to be. This alone is enough for me to prefer Costco.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:34 PM

115 posts, read 451,742 times
Default Costco/Sams Club

Been a member of Costco for many years and Sams Club one we had a big family. I rather go to Costco as first of all being retired military or active duty they give you a 10 per cent discount on your membership where Sams does not. I find the selection and quality is better at Costco. I drive 40 minutes to my Costco...

Old 02-17-2019, 06:37 AM

716 posts, read 539,300 times
ic ant stand the Sams hot dogs or pizza- Costco has them beat

Old 02-17-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mareli View Post
Been a member of Costco for many years and Sams Club one we had a big family. I rather go to Costco as first of all being retired military or active duty they give you a 10 per cent discount on your membership where Sams does not. I find the selection and quality is better at Costco. I drive 40 minutes to my Costco...

A quick search showed that this Sam's Club military promotion (similar to the one that Costco advertises) runs pretty frequently or has over the past few years, plus they make a point of hiring veterans.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mareli View Post

A quick search showed that this Sam's Club military promotion (similar to the one that Costco advertises) runs pretty frequently or has over the past few years, plus they make a point of hiring veterans.

Last edited by TexasHorseLady; 02-17-2019 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: Duplicate post.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:28 AM

1,062 posts, read 979,914 times
Costco because they treat their employees much better

Old 12-19-2023, 03:04 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,096,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisCass View Post
Hi, I am moving fro California to Austin TX in February.

Where I currently live, Costco has everything I need, from grocery to furniture to gas and tires, and I have been their member for years.

But I see in Austin there are also quiet a lot of Sams Clubs, some with even cheaper gas.

So, once I move to Austin, do you think I should keep my Costco membership, replace my Costco membership with Sams Club membership, or get both? Which do you prefer more?

Thanks!

By the way, because California is one of the biggest agricultural producers in America, I can depend on a wide variety of cheap and fresh fruits and vegetables year round. How are the fresh fruits and vegetables availabilities in Austin, and how are their prices? Thanks!
While I think Costco has better deli I feel Sam's Club has a much wider variety of groceries and toiletries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin