Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 12:44 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,896,729 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I love me some BBQ and TexMex, I think it's one of the best things about Texas.

Lately however I've been having to watch my diet. For instance my doctor said that I should be eating lean brisket instead of fatty brisket. That being said, which place has the "tastiest leanest brisket" for those watching our waste lines? Take Franklin's for instance, it's drenched in fat, I can't do that anymore.

For TexMex, which enchiladas have the fewest calories and which sauce? The problem is there are so many choices. The enchiladas can be beef steak, ground beef, chicken, shredded pork, or cheese. The sauces are TexMex, mole, verde (tomatillo), sour cream, chipotle, & traditional red. I've tried to find out but I find conflicting evidence about which sauces are lowest calories.

For beans, I think black beans are the healthiest among refried, charro, and black but it seems not many places know how to cook them properly. Which places do black beans the best? Also, the Spanish rice can have greatly varying caloric differences. Which place has the lowest calorie rice but also the tastiest.

I'm not converting to vegetarianism or anything, still like my meat but trying to eat a little more healthy as I get "long in the tooth".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 02:03 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,132,739 times
I think the doctors are wrong. The fat = cholesterol idea has been disproven.

The key is to drop carbs. In fact the balance of fat and protein is what keeps you full.

Old 03-10-2019, 02:11 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Okay, so I love me some BBQ and TexMex, I think it's one of the best things about Texas.

Lately however I've been having to watch my diet. For instance my doctor said that I should be eating lean brisket instead of fatty brisket. That being said, which place has the "tastiest leanest brisket" for those watching our waste lines? Take Franklin's for instance, it's drenched in fat, I can't do that anymore.

For TexMex, which enchiladas have the fewest calories and which sauce? The problem is there are so many choices. The enchiladas can be beef steak, ground beef, chicken, shredded pork, or cheese. The sauces are TexMex, mole, verde (tomatillo), sour cream, chipotle, & traditional red. I've tried to find out but I find conflicting evidence about which sauces are lowest calories.

For beans, I think black beans are the healthiest among refried, charro, and black but it seems not many places know how to cook them properly. Which places do black beans the best? Also, the Spanish rice can have greatly varying caloric differences. Which place has the lowest calorie rice but also the tastiest.

I'm not converting to vegetarianism or anything, still like my meat but trying to eat a little more healthy as I get "long in the tooth".

Wait. Don't I remember correctly that you are from Lousiana? In which case, for you, fat IS health food!

Old 03-10-2019, 02:25 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,060,267 times
For me, I've just cut down the carbs and sugars, the amount I eat, and what I eat at a BBQ joint.

My favorite casual go-to BBQ are Green Mesquite on Barton Springs Rd and Rudy's on 360. Partly I just like the ritual and habit or going to those places, so recognizing that and not letting it be all about the food helps.

At Rudy's I've started ordering just 1/4 lb sliced turkey and a small beans. That actually hits the spot well enough. No sauce (too much sugar). If I'm really hungry, I order 1/2 chicken (which is 4 pieces cut up). Sometimes a 1/4 lb extra lean briquet, but I'm trying to stick to white meats, so pork, turkey, chicken.

At Green Mesquite same thing.

But 10% of the time I go ahead and eat what I want. I think moderation is actually just as important as what we eat. I've actually cut out meat most of the time also. I am probably vegetarian 75% of the time.

Steve

Old 03-10-2019, 03:10 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,107,786 times
Honestly, I think the turkey is the best thing at Rudy's although the sausage is good too (not healthy, don't get the sausage).

I've always preferred lean brisket, Stiles Switch is good. Like Austin-Steve we have primarily been a white meat only family for years, now we maybe have red meat 3-4 times a month. Obviously, at any Tex-Mex joint, avoid the sour cream! And the mole too. Stick to red sauce or green.

I've actually become a competitive master athlete, a nice benefit is that although I broadly eat healthy, I don't have to obsess too much over food choices. I do watch sugars pretty close though.

Old 03-10-2019, 03:53 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,557,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
For me, I've just cut down the carbs and sugars, the amount I eat, and what I eat at a BBQ joint.

My favorite casual go-to BBQ are Green Mesquite on Barton Springs Rd and Rudy's on 360. Partly I just like the ritual and habit or going to those places, so recognizing that and not letting it be all about the food helps.

At Rudy's I've started ordering just 1/4 lb sliced turkey and a small beans. That actually hits the spot well enough. No sauce (too much sugar). If I'm really hungry, I order 1/2 chicken (which is 4 pieces cut up). Sometimes a 1/4 lb extra lean briquet, but I'm trying to stick to white meats, so pork, turkey, chicken.

At Green Mesquite same thing.

But 10% of the time I go ahead and eat what I want. I think moderation is actually just as important as what we eat. I've actually cut out meat most of the time also. I am probably vegetarian 75% of the time.

Steve

To me, lean brisket is just roast beef...not that there's anything wrong with that.
Personally, I prefer the coleslaw as a side.
I wish Rudy's had the pulled pork withOUT sauce...WAY too much sauce on that.
I can't think there is too much sugar in the (table)sauce at Rudy's...it's too peppery for me.
If anyone is sodium sensitive, you gotta watch those dry rubs at just about any BBQ joint!

Old 03-10-2019, 03:54 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,557,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Wait. Don't I remember correctly that you are from Lousiana? In which case, for you, fat IS health food!

That's funny, right there...I don't care who you are.

As the nurse once told me..."Eat what you want...Just don't eat it ALL !"

Old 03-10-2019, 04:29 PM

9,852 posts, read 13,704,520 times
Why not go for Taco Salads? I usually get a taco salad with all the extra yummy stuff on top. My favorite (I know...don't shoot me) is Taco Cabana's Cabana bowl. You can pick and choose what you want on it. I eat primarily whole 30 so I just toss the shell, say no beans and then plead ignorance on the other ingredients (whoops).

Old 03-10-2019, 06:00 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
To be more serious, for TexMex try flautas. Plenty of flavor, not as much fat.

For 'cue, it's not 'cue if it's not beef or pork and I agree with above, lean brisket is roast beef. Pork ribs, maybe?

Old 03-10-2019, 06:18 PM

216 posts, read 179,906 times
Yep, just cut carbs, especially sugars. Fat is essential for life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin