Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 05:03 AM

724 posts, read 530,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
We get the representation we vote for. Austinites make bad choices.
You mean 25% of Austinites make bad choices. When the majority don’t turn out to vote, it doesn’t take much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 06:18 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
You mean 25% of Austinites make bad choices. When the majority don’t turn out to vote, it doesn’t take much.
Not voting is a choice....

Old 06-25-2019, 06:35 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Especially when almost all the candidates are pretty much of the same ilk.

It is getting that way inRound Rock too.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:28 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times
"The changes mean that city policies prohibiting sitting, lying down and camping in public areas will only be enforced if an individual is creating a safety issue or intentionally impeding use of public facilities."

https://www.austinmonitor.com/storie...th-conditions/

If it were me I would have stricken the "intentional" part as intent is very hard to prove.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
"The changes mean that city policies prohibiting sitting, lying down and camping in public areas will only be enforced if an individual is creating a safety issue or intentionally impeding use of public facilities."

https://www.austinmonitor.com/storie...th-conditions/

If it were me I would have stricken the "intentional" part as intent is very hard to prove.
None of these people are going to take it to court. If anything, it is intended to prevent 'street nazis' from claiming everyone is impeding their use of something.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:51 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
On an unrelated note, leaving those damned scooters all over the sidewalks where pedestrians can trip over them is certainly intentional.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:20 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
None of these people are going to take it to court. If anything, it is intended to prevent 'street nazis' from claiming everyone is impeding their use of something.

Whenever someone interjects "nazi" into a conversation I can be pretty sure they are engaging in hyperbole. No, they won't be taken to court but they won't even be told to move if they play dumb and act like they weren't trying to inconvenience anyone.

Wanting unimpeded sidewalks, streets, and bike lanes is not unreasonable, that is why restaurants in Austin have to have a permit before they can open outdoor sidewalk seating:

Sidewalk Cafes and Street Patios | AustinTexas.gov - The Official Website of the City of Austin

I wonder if the homeless will take notice when my dog starts taking a whiz on their sidewalk tent?

Old 06-25-2019, 08:23 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
And the prize goes to Trainwreck20 for invoking Godwin's Law. Congrats, this is fast even for citydata.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:54 AM

I did not call anyone in particular a nazi or comparing them to one - it is just the fairly well-known usage of the word as it implies to overly-strict. An I don't think 'street nazis' were running Germany, actual ones were .

But what I am saying is that the word 'intentional' is not meant for the police to assess - they will tell anyone they want when to move, regardless of what they are or are not impeding.

It is likely there to give the police an 'out' in case some random person comes up and demands a homeless person move because 'I don't like their smell and it impedes me going past them' or whatever.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:19 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
I’m telling you, Austinites ... you do not want this to continue. I say this as a 38-year SF native who has been here 12 years now and has come to love Austin’s beautiful clean and tidy profile. It will go away once the scale is tipped too far, folks. I watched it happen before and it’s devastating to a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin