Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 09:19 AM

9,854 posts, read 13,727,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
For some reason I thought they wanted 3K square ft which ruled out a lot of central.

One thing to consider OP is that you can spend 800K on a smaller home and possibly add on square footage. The going rate for construction is like $300/square ft for a very nice buildout but builders are slammed and it can be a lot of work.

Because the price/sq ft to buy is so high it can make a lot of sense to buy a smaller home for location well under your budget then expand so you are essentially getting a new home.
Or knock it down and build 3 duplexes in a space that had a 1k square foot house with a huge yard before. OP seems genuine on their desire to live central though so this isn't them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 09:54 AM

12,959 posts, read 13,379,778 times
The OP can use this realtor’s website to search by zip code/budget/size for examples:
(I have no affiliation with that business at all)

https://www.primeranchland.com/

Old 04-22-2021, 10:12 AM

390 posts, read 671,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Probably right by UT in Hyde park would be good. Some people will come after the schools in the area, but ridge top has a great bilingual program. Kealing has a fine arts magnet and Macallum is maybe too three in the district, behind Anderson and Bowie and tied with Austin high, in my personal opinion.

Just want to correct that Lamar Middle School has the fine arts academy. Kealing Middle School has an advanced academic magnet program (although very strong fine arts too). I think you may have meant to say Lamar above since you were referring to Hyde Park and McCallum.

Old 04-22-2021, 10:17 AM

The Lamar/McCallum area is a long trek for biking to UT and not very walkable.

Old 04-22-2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ27 View Post
Just want to correct that Lamar Middle School has the fine arts academy. Kealing Middle School has an advanced academic magnet program (although very strong fine arts too). I think you may have meant to say Lamar above since you were referring to Hyde Park and McCallum.
Oh. You're right. Kealing is still an okay school though. I'll also add the area I'm thinking of is actually Ridgetop, Lamar, McCallum so they'd go to Lamar and not Kealing. I think you have to go a bit more east, like Mueller, to get Kealing.

Old 04-22-2021, 10:26 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,683,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
McCallum HS is about 3 miles from campus and I think there probably are some pretty bike-able routes. I lived for a bit in Allandale and it was about a 30-40 minute ride and a decent bit further than McCallum. Granted, things have changed a bit since then, but I suspect the biking infrastructure is at least a little better. I used to ride a hybrid bike and rode on the sidewalks, neighborhood streets, or trails.

Old 04-22-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I believe the area near Lamar and 51st is McCallum and you can take Duval all the way to San Jacinto to get to campus. It's a regular running route of mine. I put in the intersection of Lamar and 51st and then "University of Texas " and it's a 3 mile bike ride.

Old 04-22-2021, 11:24 AM

I was thinking about what a mess both Lamar Blvd & Burnet Road have been for decades after spending 20 years on the Lamar MS faculty. But I retired 20+ years ago and have rarely been down that way except to take the wife to shop at Sue Patrick’s.
Miss the Poodle Dog Lounge.

Old 04-22-2021, 11:28 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,683,572 times
Quote:
[...]
Used to be on our league rotation for darts .

Old 04-22-2021, 01:46 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,575,307 times
Quote:
I was thinking about what a mess both Lamar Blvd & Burnet Road have been for decades after spending 20 years on the Lamar MS faculty. But I retired 20+ years ago and have rarely been down that way except to take the wife to shop at Sue Patrick’s.
One needs heavy-duty suspension and good ground clearance to navigate Lamar from 183 to We Are Blood(45th). That is one pitiful road!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin