Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 09:19 AM

11,844 posts, read 8,045,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightZeroTX View Post
I saw in another thread where someone complained about the weather and she told them to go back where they came from. I thought people were supposed to be nicer here?
She's angry with the amount of people moving here and prices gouging up, her concerns are very valid concerns I can't demean that, but her method of lashing out isn't helping her cause especially when she isn't really from Austin either...

When I moved here I left Atlanta with pretty much nothing, I was living with my mother / father with a father who never carried his weight. I was paying my mothers mortgage, she tried to carry her weight but her income is very unpredictable and unreliable. I pretty much thought I was stuck forever. My mother lost that house anyway because I came to a point where I was just so fed up with the situation I stopped helping them thus we lost that house. I was living out of a car for about a week and then I got a job offer in ATX which paid for the relocation and it happened so fast that I was pretty much negotiating an apartment while I was on I-10.. ATX for 'me' was a new start... and for 'me' I took every opportunity to sieze it so I would not end up back with my family or back in Atlanta so I took it pretty serious.. Seeing Austin's growth trajectory and how quickly housing was becoming expensive here was daunting to me but rather than complaining about how many people are moving here, I prepared for it. I stayed up well after midnight and going in after work studying my ***** off to gain more certifications and experience in my field of work.. ..within 2 years I went from an employee making less than $50k in Atlanta to an employee making over $100k in Austin. It happened because I took that energy that I could have spent complaining about how unfair the housing market is in Austin and put it to improving what I had to offer to get where I wanted to be. I still agree that housing here in unreasonably high but it is what it is, I can't control it I can only change what I have to offer. I personally have been purposefully holding back on Ash because there is also a tremendous difference in the levels of advancements between our fields and I do believe Ash means well in her heart and as well as the people of Austin she advocates (although I don't always agree with her ideology, I do think she is a good person behind her snarky barrier) .. I personally don't know off the top of my head what can be done about that either, I've thought on it and I do feel for her in that area and on the surface I have no direct solution but I do think a change to a more positive attitude will go a long way in helping her to get where she wants to be.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 05-26-2021 at 09:28 AM..

Old 05-26-2021, 09:24 AM

727 posts, read 305,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
She's angry with the amount of people moving here and prices gouging up, her concerns are very valid concerns I can't demean that, but her method of lashing out isn't helping her cause especially when she isn't really from Austin either...

When I moved here I left Atlanta with pretty much nothing, I was living with my mother / father with a father who never carried his weight. I was paying my mothers mortgage, she tried to carry her weight but her income is very unpredictable and unreliable. I pretty much thought I was stuck forever. My mother lost that house anyway because I came to a point where I was just so fed up with the situation I stopped helping them thus we lost that house. I was living out of a car for about a week and then I got a job offer in ATX which paid for the relocation and it happened so fast that I was pretty much negotiating an apartment while I was on I-10.. ATX for 'me' was a new start... and for 'me' I took every opportunity to sieze it so I would not end up back with my family or back in Atlanta so I took it pretty serious.. Seeing Austin's growth trajectory and how quickly housing was becoming expensive here was daunting to me but rather than complaining about how many people are moving here, I prepared for it. I stayed up well after midnight and going in after work studying my ***** off to gain more certifications and experience in my field of work.. ..within 2 years I went from an employee making less than $50k in Atlanta to an employee making over $100k in Austin. It happened because I took that energy that I could have spent complaining about how unfair the housing market is in Austin and put it to improving what I had to offer to get where I wanted to be. I still agree that housing here in unreasonably high but it is what it is, I can't control it I can only change what I have to offer. I personally have been purposefully holding back on Ash because there is also a tremendous difference in the levels of advancements between our fields and I do believe Ash means well in her heart and as well as the people of Austin she advocates (although I don't always agree with her ideology, I do think she is a good person inside) .. I personally don't know off the top of my head what can be done about that either, I've thought on it and I do feel for her in that area and on the surface I have no direct solution but I do think a change to a more positive attitude will go a long way in helping her to get where she wants to be.
Sounds like you overcame some pretty serious adversity, kudos to you. I have my own story as to why I moved here but that's irrelevant for this thread. I retired in May because the political clime was getting out of hand, similar to Austin but more militant. Overall, I embrace the Texas culture, I like it. Even though I am retired I am still working. People being frustrated about the exodus of people coming here from out of state is a valid concern, even though I moved here from the East Coast.

Old 05-26-2021, 09:30 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,515,041 times
Ashbeigh came to Austin from somewhere else, too. She is no different than any other transplant to this city.

This whole “slam the door once I arrive!” mentality is pure bull.

This is The United States of America. We enjoy full unfettered mobility to live where we want in this country. Every city in the US that has a strong and strengthening economy deals with the very same growing pains that Austin is dealing with. Austin is not unique to this reality. Adults find ways to deal with the stresses of busy city life. Lashing out at others who are only guilty of doing the *same* thing one did - moving to Austin - is childish and uncool.

Old 05-26-2021, 09:34 AM

727 posts, read 305,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Ashbeigh came to Austin from somewhere else, too. She is no different than any other transplant to this city.

This whole “slam the door once I arrive!” mentality is pure bull.

This is The United States of America. We enjoy full unfettered mobility to live where we want in this country. Every city in the US that has a strong and strengthening economy deals with the very same growing pains that Austin is dealing with. Austin is not unique to this reality. Adults find ways to deal with the stresses of busy city life. Lashing out at others who are only guilty of doing the *same* thing one did - moving to Austin - is childish and uncool.
Very well said.

Old 05-26-2021, 10:02 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,360,701 times
Quote:

When I moved here I left Atlanta with pretty much nothing, I was living with my mother / father with a father who never carried his weight. I was paying my mothers mortgage, she tried to carry her weight but her income is very unpredictable and unreliable. I pretty much thought I was stuck forever. My mother lost that house anyway because I came to a point where I was just so fed up with the situation I stopped helping them thus we lost that house. I was living out of a car for about a week and then I got a job offer in ATX which paid for the relocation and it happened so fast that I was pretty much negotiating an apartment while I was on I-10.. ATX for 'me' was a new start... and for 'me' I took every opportunity to sieze it so I would not end up back with my family or back in Atlanta so I took it pretty serious.. Seeing Austin's growth trajectory and how quickly housing was becoming expensive here was daunting to me but rather than complaining about how many people are moving here, I prepared for it. I stayed up well after midnight and going in after work studying my ***** off to gain more certifications and experience in my field of work.. ..within 2 years I went from an employee making less than $50k in Atlanta to an employee making over $100k in Austin. It happened because I took that energy that I could have spent complaining about how unfair the housing market is in Austin and put it to improving what I had to offer to get where I wanted to be. I still agree that housing here in unreasonably high but it is what it is, I can't control it I can only change what I have to offer. I personally have been purposefully holding back on Ash because there is also a tremendous difference in the levels of advancements between our fields and I do believe Ash means well in her heart and as well as the people of Austin she advocates (although I don't always agree with her ideology, I do think she is a good person behind her snarky barrier) .. I personally don't know off the top of my head what can be done about that either, I've thought on it and I do feel for her in that area and on the surface I have no direct solution but I do think a change to a more positive attitude will go a long way in helping her to get where she wants to be.
Great story, and props to you for your initiative.
We tried to help Austin’s overcrowding problem by moving out 26 years ago.

Sorry if my demeanor triggers anyone, but sometimes I just don’t think before typing stuff. Every so often the mods have given me a time out for “trolling” or being an a-hole (all unintentional, I swear!).
In fact I was just released from a week’s purgatory for a comment made in another part of the forum.

Old 05-26-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
IIRC, APD just killed their mounted and motorcycle units. That doesn’t feel like progress to me.
I forgot to include the lake patrol and canine units to this post.

Old 05-26-2021, 10:19 AM

11,844 posts, read 8,045,546 times
Quote:
I forgot to include the lake patrol and canine units to this post.
I used to see the APD Motorcycles alot on Southwest Pkwy (even got pulled over for 10 over but I was given a warning ) but lately not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Great story, and props to you for your initiative.
We tried to help Austin’s overcrowding problem by moving out 26 years ago.

Sorry if my demeanor triggers anyone, but sometimes I just don’t think before typing stuff. Every so often the mods have given me a time out for “trolling” or being an a-hole (all unintentional, I swear!).
In fact I was just released from a week’s purgatory for a comment made in another part of the forum.
To be fair and reasonable I was unhappy when I lived in Atlanta. At first I thought it was Atlanta but more and more I came to realize it was me and my situation so I wasn't the best of posters on CD early on.

Old 05-26-2021, 10:22 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,499,397 times
I've noticed that there are more shootings lately. I chalked it up to just an increase in population.

People have this vision of Austin as some utopia where gangs, shootings, and violence don't seem to exist. At least years ago people had that vision. Truth is, while crime is lower than say other cities, Austin is growing and with that growth, there's an uptick in crime. Gangs are alive and well in Austin. There's always been lots of property crime.

Old 05-26-2021, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I used to see the APD Motorcycles alot on Southwest Pkwy (even got pulled over for 10 over but I was given a warning ) but lately not so much.
Oh yes. They enjoy several strategic hiding spots there.

What irks me about the thought of defunding the mounted patrol is how useful they are during outdoor festivals, which Austin has a ridiculous amount of. Mounted officers get a great view of everything going on and can move quickly through crowds to assist others, and at the same time the horses serve as goodwill ambassadors for many. Additionally, Austin taxpayers already funded a new facility for the mounted patrol ten years ago and the city STILL hasn’t accepted a bid and got to building. So where will all THAT money go, I wonder.

Old 05-26-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I've noticed that there are more shootings lately. I chalked it up to just an increase in population.

People have this vision of Austin as some utopia where gangs, shootings, and violence don't seem to exist. At least years ago people had that vision. Truth is, while crime is lower than say other cities, Austin is growing and with that growth, there's an uptick in crime. Gangs are alive and well in Austin. There's always been lots of property crime.
It’s getting downright murdery here!

Anecdote: I’m a native of SF. For the few years that my Austin native husband lived there with me, he would absolutely marvel with disgust every morning at the news reporting the daily murders in SF, Oakland, and Richmond. Then we moved back home to Austin, and he discovered that Austin was catching up. It was a bit of a shock for him. Austin is far removed from the idyllic city he was raised in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin