Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 12:09 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Why would they drive three hours to party here when there are way more clubs and nightlife in Houston? Go back to sleep, dude.

There have been way more shootings all over Austin. Keep living in La la land.
ROT rally is in town, so it wouldn’t surprise me if some of them were involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2021, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
No laws stop all crime. DUI is against the law, does it stop everyone from drinking and driving? Under the same logic, we should just not have DUI laws (or any other law, for that matter) because criminals don't care about them.
Enforce the laws on the books... there are plenty of them covering the criminals.
The current carry laws are for the law-abiding citizens.

Old 06-12-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I can’t make any statements on the particular suspect in but doing Uber and Lyft I have come to find there are way more people who come here from Houston and San Antonio to visit the bars in Austin during the weekend than I initially thought. Same goes for Bachelorette parties, ect. Not specifically stating anything against these people and they come in all classes, races, and do not seem intent on causing trouble generally speaking, but it was quite an eye opener for me atleast. But honestly these suspects were probably local. Sounds like they may have known each other to me.

I also haven’t done a great deal of research on the new gun laws but my ultimate assumption would be that they would have little to no impact on what happened last night. People who tend to be persuaded to violence with guns, will find a gun to use regardless if the law condones or condemns it. FWIW Buckhead in Atlanta GA is going through a much worse shooting spree. I’m not heavily affluent with the gun laws in ATL but I think TX is generally more laxed about them.

Generally speaking, for example in ATL, about 800 guns were stolen from vehicles last year. For this specific situation in AUS, I can’t make any judgement without knowing how they got their firearms. If they followed due process, ect. If so then yea something needs to be done. If not then more gun laws will only punish law abiding citizens.

Just stating to be fair regarding the argument. I personally do not want a firearm. Would also prefer to remain uncapped for the duration of this lifespan.
“Remain uncapped”.
That’s a good one. And wouldn’t we all? Lol

Old 06-12-2021, 01:18 PM

7 posts, read 4,613 times
Ironic that a mass shooting would happen right under the noses of the cops. No other part of Austin has a stronger police presence than 6th street...not even the airport.

Old 06-12-2021, 01:21 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,242,613 times
The media is going to bury this story after the shooter’s mugshot is publicized.

Old 06-12-2021, 01:31 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I can’t make any statements on the particular suspect in but doing Uber and Lyft I have come to find there are way more people who come here from Houston and San Antonio to visit the bars in Austin during the weekend than I initially thought. Same goes for Bachelorette parties, ect. Not specifically stating anything against these people and they come in all classes, races, and do not seem intent on causing trouble generally speaking, but it was quite an eye opener for me atleast. But honestly these suspects were probably local. Sounds like they may have known each other to me.

I also haven’t done a great deal of research on the new gun laws but my ultimate assumption would be that they would have little to no impact on what happened last night. People who tend to be persuaded to violence with guns, will find a gun to use regardless if the law condones or condemns it. FWIW Buckhead in Atlanta GA is going through a much worse shooting spree. I’m not heavily affluent with the gun laws in ATL but I think TX is generally more laxed about them.

Generally speaking, for example in ATL, about 800 guns were stolen from vehicles last year. For this specific situation in AUS, I can’t make any judgement without knowing how they got their firearms. If they followed due process, ect. If so then yea something needs to be done. If not then more gun laws will only punish law abiding citizens.

Just stating to be fair regarding the argument. I personally do not want a firearm. Would also prefer to remain uncapped for the duration of this lifespan.
I'm not saying that it doesn't happen since people from Austin travel to SA/Houston/Dallas as well...the cities are fairly connected... but these 'hood rats' that he is mentioning aren't coming from Houston to Austin to party -- not when there's a thriving and bigger hip hop/rap scene locally unlike Austin. The ahole(s) who perp'd the shooting are more than likely local. Austin is not utopia. It has always had its own homegrown criminal element and lately there has been more violent crime than in all of the 17 years that I've lived in the MSA. And it's not just Austin, it's happening in the suburbs too. It's like every time I read the news, there's a new shooting somewhere. What, all of these people are hoodrats from Houston?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
ROT rally is in town, so it wouldn’t surprise me if some of them were involved.
LOL - and here I thought ROT was comprised mostly of aging accountants and office employees trying to c hannel their Hells Angel's persona hahaha

Old 06-12-2021, 01:38 PM

61,717 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Here's what we know about the mass shooting in downtown Austin Saturday morning:

14 wounded, two in critical condition in mass shooting in downtown Austin. Medics took four people to the hospital by ambulance, Austin police took six others to the hospital and three were taken by private vehicle, EMS officials said.
Unknown if victims were targeted in mass shooting in downtown Austin. Potentially tens of thousands of people gathered in the area anchored by Sixth Street.
Suspect or suspects in mass shooting in downtown Austin remain at large
Authorities say the shooter or shooters appear to have fired randomly. Detectives were working rapidly to view an array of video gathered by bystanders and other cameras near the scene in the 400 block of East Sixth Street to identify any suspects.
Authorities have zeroed in on two suspects.
https://www.statesman.com/story/news...ay/7666729002/

Old 06-12-2021, 01:49 PM

435 posts, read 453,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
The media is going to bury this story after the shooter’s mugshot is publicized.
They're already refusing to publish the description. Ironically, we all know what race the shooter is by the Statesman's refusal to mention it. We're just supposed to pretend like we don't.

Old 06-12-2021, 01:53 PM

Hey Kid, how about a bigger picture?
I can’t quite make that one out.

Old 06-12-2021, 01:57 PM

435 posts, read 453,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Hey Kid, how about a bigger picture?
I can’t quite make that one out.
Vbulletin auto-resizes pics, no need to whine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin