Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2021, 06:32 PM

257 posts, read 260,634 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Austin and I’m visiting my parents for Thanksgiving. My wife and I borrowed my parent’s car and drove to Town Lake to the parking lot under Mopac on the Zilker side. After our 30 minute run we returned to find our window smashed and my wife’s purse stolen (we know dumb). We live in Maine now and we’re a little rusty on city living. My wife had some valuable things taken and I think the window replacement will be expensive

I called 911 to file a police report and was directed to hang up and call 311. The operator was vague, but I think I filed a report? It was loud and I couldn’t really understand the operator. She informed me that someone from APD will reach out to me in three days. I received an email, but there is very little information. I’d like to use the report for an insurance claim. Has anyone here gone through something similar?

Thanks for any advice! Regardless, it has been nice being back in Austin
Attached Thumbnails
Calling 311 for car Break-in/smash & grab confusion-2c0b6278-52d9-4244-947f-00181dd29572.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2021, 06:34 PM

1,085 posts, read 696,258 times
The only thing you need for the claims (plural, one will be on their auto insurance for the window damage, the other on your homeowners for the purse and contents) is the report number, which should be in that email.

The claims representative will be able to request a copy if they need it.

Old 11-28-2021, 06:58 PM

9,854 posts, read 13,727,267 times
So sorry that happened. Did you happen to see any other cars broken into? I park there regularly (not with my purse out), but want to make sure I pass along the info to my circles that do frequent the trail.

Old 11-29-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Rover View Post
The only thing you need for the claims (plural, one will be on their auto insurance for the window damage, the other on your homeowners for the purse and contents) is the report number, which should be in that email.

The claims representative will be able to request a copy if they need it.
Thank you - this is what I was looking for. I think we’re just going to take a loss on what was in my wife’s purse, but we’ll use insurance for the window.

Old 11-29-2021, 10:00 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,683,572 times
That spot is infamous for smash-and-grabs. I used to roll my windows down there just so no one would smash one looking for stuff while I was running....

Old 11-29-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
So sorry that happened. Did you happen to see any other cars broken into? I park there regularly (not with my purse out), but want to make sure I pass along the info to my circles that do frequent the trail.
Thank you. We were the only car hit. I think the person must have smashed the window pretty soon after we parked as they very quickly used my wife’s Amex at the far south I-35 Walmart. We were only gone for about 30+ minutes and canceled the card as soon as we got to the car. It was dumb on our part, but good to be vigilant. What’s interesting to me is that we were one of maybe 100 cars parked and there were a good number of people in the parking lot - pretty bold

Old 11-29-2021, 12:03 PM

9,854 posts, read 13,727,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southshorebound View Post
Thank you. We were the only car hit. I think the person must have smashed the window pretty soon after we parked as they very quickly used my wife’s Amex at the far south I-35 Walmart. We were only gone for about 30+ minutes and canceled the card as soon as we got to the car. It was dumb on our part, but good to be vigilant. What’s interesting to me is that we were one of maybe 100 cars parked and there were a good number of people in the parking lot - pretty bold
Yeah. It's a very busy area, even before sunrise. I wonder if there were others hit, but not nearby you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: