Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2023, 04:17 PM

11,824 posts, read 8,027,753 times

Advertisements

I got sick over the past 3 days. It was like a mini-flu. I started getting the chills yesterday and the day before. I used this heat to my advantage and went outside and sat in my car to sweat it out - careful not to stay too long because nothing felt 'hot' to me at the time. Afterward I strolled around in the heat for another hour or so and my fever went down. I feel mostly normal today, just very stuffy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2023, 04:56 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Is this an El Nino year?

Old 07-01-2023, 06:01 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,650,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Is this an El Nino year?
Later this year. The El Nino is forming, but not affecting weather here yet.

Old 07-01-2023, 09:16 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,706,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Incorrect. It’s active and strengthening. https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/produc...ensodisc.shtml. It can be seen by the early tropical storm development off the coast of Africa. Those storms usually don’t develop until September or October. If it was strong the storms probably would have made it closer to us, but because it’s weak, they got shredded with wind shear and pushed away by active cold fronts.

Correct, it’s not active in the Texas area yet. When speaking of climate I think broadly as in world wide and not local, which the climate center also speaks to and is a great resource for actual climate information snf not just hearsay.

Old 07-02-2023, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Incorrect. It’s active and strengthening. https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/produc...ensodisc.shtml. It can be seen by the early tropical storm development off the coast of Africa. Those storms usually don’t develop until September or October. If it was strong the storms probably would have made it closer to us, but because it’s weak, they got shredded with wind shear and pushed away by active cold fronts.

Correct, it’s not active in the Texas area yet. When speaking of climate I think broadly as in world wide and not local, which the climate center also speaks to and is a great resource for actual climate information snf not just hearsay.
I actually read something to the opposite? Like, the early storms in the Atlantic were due to prime storm conditions currently in place, but as the el Nino effect strengthened, the wind shear would stop those from forming as often/as quickly. The article was basically saying that if the el Nino did not form fast enough, we could have a very bad Atlantic storm season. The strong el Nino supports Pacific storms which result in more moisture from the Pacific basin coming to Texas.

This isn't the article, but is NOAA
Quote:
After three hurricane seasons with La Nina present, NOAA scientists predict a high potential for El Nino to develop this summer, which can suppress Atlantic hurricane activity. El Nino’s potential influence on storm development could be offset by favorable conditions local to the tropical Atlantic Basin.
https://www.noaa.gov/news-release/20...season-outlook

Old 07-02-2023, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I actually read something to the opposite? Like, the early storms in the Atlantic were due to prime storm conditions currently in place, but as the el Nino effect strengthened, the wind shear would stop those from forming as often/as quickly. The article was basically saying that if the el Nino did not form fast enough, we could have a very bad Atlantic storm season. The strong el Nino supports Pacific storms which result in more moisture from the Pacific basin coming to Texas.

This isn't the article, but is NOAA

https://www.noaa.gov/news-release/20...season-outlook
I think that’s what I’m saying. The prime storm conditions are there because of El Niño. It’s weak, so the wind shear is still there so they don’t make it to the US. I remember that report, that it’s supposed to be an average year, but the storms developing so far east is not normal, as I said earlier.

Old 07-02-2023, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I think that’s what I’m saying. The prime storm conditions are there because of El Niño. It’s weak, so the wind shear is still there so they don’t make it to the US. I remember that report, that it’s supposed to be an average year, but the storms developing so far east is not normal, as I said earlier.
It is the opposite - the storms are early because there is 'strong' conditions in Africa/Atlantic and no shear yet (in the Atlantic) from El Nino. The 'strong' conditions will be (hopefully) offset by the 'negative' conditions created by El Nino (shear, mainly) later in the season.

El Nino is a 'positive' effect for Pacific storms (which can bring rain to Texas) and a 'negative' to Atlantic storms.

Old 07-03-2023, 08:53 AM

43,134 posts, read 18,298,681 times
Quote:

NOAA said it "arrived" on June 8th.

https://www.weather.gov/news/230706-...ther%20Service.
June 8, 2023 - The expected El Nino has emerged, according to scientists at NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center, a division of the National Weather Service. In the monthly outlook released today, forecasters issued an El Nino Advisory, noting that El Nino conditions are present and are expected to gradually strengthen into the winter.

Old 07-03-2023, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
NOAA said it "arrived" on June 8th.

https://www.weather.gov/news/230706-...ther%20Service.
June 8, 2023 - The expected El Nino has emerged, according to scientists at NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center, a division of the National Weather Service. In the monthly outlook released today, forecasters issued an El Nino Advisory, noting that El Nino conditions are present and are expected to gradually strengthen into the winter.
Yes, but arrived in the Pacific and the affects have yet to spread world-wide.

Old 07-04-2023, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Yes, but arrived in the Pacific and the affects have yet to spread world-wide.
Still confused about how you’re not understanding any of the articles that have been shared. El Niño is active. It’s not strong and it’s not affecting us yet. You can’t argue with NOAA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin