Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 02:15 PM

132 posts, read 497,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic9460678748 View Post
I'm only interested in temporary work, but I'm not sure what my chances are.
I worked at the IRS in Austin as a seasonal Tax Examiner and found the work....challenging yet repetitive. The people were fantastic and friendly. The selection of work hours was good, and the cafeteria was decent for that kind of food.

D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 09:19 AM

316 posts, read 877,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic9460678748 View Post
governement
Questionarre
Decleration
Identflication
Serfdom heaven.

Hope they do a bit more due diligence when they 'do' our taxes.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:52 PM

132 posts, read 497,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjoseph2 View Post
Serfdom heaven.

Hope they do a bit more due diligence when they 'do' our taxes.
For the most part, that's all automated. Random sampling leads to a human handing a return, as does an error, which generates a notice that is reviewed by a human.

D

Old 12-19-2009, 09:32 PM

597 posts, read 1,317,441 times
Working for the IRS you can get benefits if you are a seasonal employee and your season lasts more than 6 months. You'll see that info on the position you apply for. A lot of employees care deeply about the work they do, others don't. Like any job. The lower paying jobs are more repetitive and require little training. The harder jobs require many weeks of training. It all depends. In a bad economy it isn't a bad place to work till things get a bit better.

Old 02-10-2022, 06:30 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,058,220 times
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd re-open it and see if anyone on this board is working there right now? I may have an opportunity to get a seasonal job there this year (still waiting on my background check to get done before I know for sure!).

All I'm seeing is posts from 2009 about working there. So, 13 years later, is it still the same? What is the work environment like there these days?

I may be getting a job as a Clerk. What does the clerks do there exactly? Is there any chance of doing just data entry?

I did see a recent article that the IRS is having a hard time hiring people right now and are hurting since they are backed up from last year still on the processing the returns. The jobs start at $14/hr, which is fine by me since I don't have many bills to pay anyway.

So any insight would be nice...TIA!

Old 02-11-2022, 01:39 PM

663 posts, read 433,949 times
I worked at the IRS for 35 years in various positions. I worked in the paper processing site, so this will just be a sample of information. If you want computer input only, you need to apply for Data Transcriber.... but last I heard they were phasing out the paper processing part in Austin.

IRS employees get sick leave (4 hours per 2 week payperiod), Annual leave (4 hours per 2wk, more if you work more years).
Paid federal holidays, night differential if you work tour is after 6pm.
There are multiple jobs that are considered clerical. Some of them are:
Mailroom (sorting mail)
Clerical support for Tax examiners (filing, pushing carts, etc)
Numbering Clerks... they number tax documents
File Clerks

When you first start to work at IRS you are probationary for the first year.
Seasonal employ position are continuing... so at the end of the season you still have a job for the next season unless you resign or are terminated.

Medical insurance eligibility per OPM https://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insur...e/eligibility/

As a Federal employee, you are eligible to elect FEHB coverage, unless your position is excluded by law or regulation. Your agency applies these rules and determines your eligibility.
Full-time Temporary, Seasonal & Intermittent Employees

You are eligible to enroll in an FEHB plan, if you are an
  • Employee on a temporary appointment who is expected to work 130 hours per month or more for at least 90 days;
  • Employee on a seasonal schedule who will be working a schedule of less than six months per year and are expected to work 130 hours per month or more for at least 90 days; or
  • Intermittent employee who is expected to work 130 hours per month or more for at least 90 days.
You will receive the same government contribution as a full-time permanent employee.
The FEHB Handbook provides additional information about employee eligibility and explains the special provisions for people in part-time or intermittent employment, temporary appointments, and specifically named positions.

Old 02-11-2022, 01:46 PM

The IRS tries to have at least 6 month seasons but it varies based on the job. The major need for clerical support in the past has been January-June time frame, with employees being called back for a month or so in the October time frame.

Employees are rated on the quality of their work and how effectively they do their job. Determination on how long they work depends on how they rank against other employees doing a similar job.

Old 02-18-2022, 10:46 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,058,220 times
Thank you! I start next week..

Old 02-19-2022, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
Thank you! I start next week..
Congratulations! When I was there it was a good place to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin