Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 11:40 PM

271 posts, read 1,072,577 times

Advertisements

Has the state of Texas ever even heard of such a thing? What about Austin? do you have anything like a hill out there? I currently reside in Colorado Springs, whcih is nestledat the foot of the Rockies, and Pikes Peak, elev. 14,110 ft.

I love to Mountain bike, and am planning to move to Austin in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 05:26 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsmicck View Post
Has the state of Texas ever even heard of such a thing? What about Austin? do you have anything like a hill out there? I currently reside in Colorado Springs, whcih is nestledat the foot of the Rockies, and Pikes Peak, elev. 14,110 ft.

You are not going to see mountains like you are seeing in CO! Austin is nestled in the "hill country"--yes they have hills but coming from CO, you won't be impressed with the hills. I live in the Allegheny Mountains which is part of the Appalacian Mountain Range and I'm not impressed with the hills in Austin.

You have to LOVE Austin for what she is...a young, fun, vibrant city that has a lot to offer. There are many outdoor activities with Lady Bird Lake (Town Lake) running through the city. Kayaking, canoeing, tubing, boating, swimming. LBL also has a hike/bike trail.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:42 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Mountain biking is pretty big out here, but it is more of the 'wooded ravines and rivers' biking than 'mountain' biking. Rocky Hill Ranch, the green belt, Walnut Creek, Pace Bend Park, Muleshoe are all mtn biking places right in or around Austin. My wife has a brand new goose egg on her forearm and scratched up shin from her last trip out to Muleshoe.

There are a few threads on here, so you may want to search. Here is one that showed up:http://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...ke-trails.html

Old 11-19-2008, 07:43 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
Here ya go:

Austin Ridge Riders Mountain Bike Club

TMBRA - Texas Mountain Bike Racing Association

BiKe MoJo SpeaK - Powered by vBulletin

Riding City Park is one of the few things I truly miss about Austin!

Old 11-19-2008, 07:49 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsmicck View Post

Question: If you are "planning to move to Austin", how could you not know that there are hills here? Are you getting transferred without your consent? You might just want to do the "basics" in terms of research first...like: where is Austin? What does it look like? Here's the wikipedia page to get you started (it even has a few pictures):

Austin, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And yea, I think anyone who can read, knows where Colorado Springs is...

Just sayin'.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:03 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,507 times
Austin does have a lot of climbing if you want it. It is just that our hills are short and steep. You won't get the long 10% grades that you get in CO. But you will get some hills of 20%. In fact this last weekend there was a ride called "tour das hugel" 105 miles 14+k of climbing.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:50 PM

Last edited by unsmicck; 11-19-2008 at 09:12 PM..

Old 11-19-2008, 09:03 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Tons of drinking and partying. Guess you'd get a kick out of 6th street. It's not as big (as far as number of clubs on several city blocks) as LoDo in Denver, but still can be fun to walk up and down a few blocks to the different clubs. Lots of live music. Austin and Denver are comparable in size though. Colorado Springs, what I recall of it, isn't quite the same as Denver or Austin for that matter.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:14 PM

No, I don't think COS is the same, we have 3 'big' colleges, and it is WAY to spread out for my liking. call me crazy, but I love a big city, especially one that I can ride my bike around. Do a lot of people do that out there? is bike theft a problem?

Old 11-20-2008, 10:28 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,858 times
You don't want a mountain for mountain biking. That would be dull, too much uphill

What you want is ups and downs, twists and turns, creeks and rocks. Austin has plenty of that.

Only prob for me is from May to October it's soooooooo hot.

When the weathers' cool, this place is great. When it's hot, go jump in the river after.
Austin Bike's Guide to Central Texas Mountain Biking - Reimers Ranch, Spicewood, TX
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin