Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 06:33 PM

38 posts, read 135,329 times

Advertisements

My wife and I just took a job in Austin living and working with five teen girls. We've been to tons of pools, rivers, lakes, etc. We've been to the parks, and gardens as well. I always see people saying how much there is to do in Austin, well, taking away those things, what would you recommend we do with five teen girls (ages 14-18)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 06:45 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Well, I lived in Austin and vicinity and raised kids for about 30 years (kids were 12 years apart) and I can say that we only occasionally went hiking and rarely engaged in water sports, and still had a good time.

Let's look at this from another direction. What kinds of things do you (and the girls) like to do?

Old 07-08-2012, 06:54 PM

I like San Antonio for Six Flags, Seaworld, The Riverwalk, Schilterbaun, The Zoo, Tanger Outlets (I know about Round Rock), The Alamo, Ripley's Believe it or Not, etc. I also want to take them to some Spurs games. I'd absolutely LOVE to take them to Longhorn Football games but there is no way I'll be able to afford tickets for more than me and one girl, and even then, only on occasion. I plan to take them to Longhorn girls Volleyball games (they aren't in to basketball) and maybe softball next season. I saw Austin has Roller Derby and an independent pro wrestling league so I want to check those out too.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:59 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Cedar Park has a minor League hockey team that plays in a nice arena.

Tickets for some Longhorn football games can be had for half price or less out on the streets (off campus).

Old 07-08-2012, 07:03 PM

You can trust the scalpers?

Old 07-08-2012, 07:43 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,954 times
You can't afford tickets to Longhorns football games, but you can afford tickets to Spur's games, Six Flags, and Sea World for repeat visits? How many times can you go to the RiverWalk or the Alamo before it gets old? I like San Antonio, but Spurs tickets are pricey.

Check out stubhub for Longhorns football tickets. The first two games of the season are always sold cheap because they pad the schedule with weak non-conference opponents that season ticket holders don't care to see. But yes, if your family doesn't like outdoor activities, then Austin probably isn't your ideal place. Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio have more of the touristy stuff that you prefer as they are larger cities.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:44 PM

970 posts, read 1,873,355 times
SA, to me, is great for those quickie vacations, spend a day only trips which you have already done. Take a girl or two to UT games........do some trade-offs. Maybe I'm weird, but my 16 -18 year-old teens do their own thing pretty often.....just like I did at their ages.....all over Austin.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:48 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
Several things come to mind. The Bob Bullock State History museum is entertaining for all ages, as is the tour of the State Capitol. Dell Diamond is fun for the whole family, and once the fall gets here, since you have HS aged kids, be sure to catch one of their FB games. Homecoming is fun - band, drill team, mums, AND Texas HS football. Have you gone to Congress Ave to see the bats? Been to the top of Mt. Bonnell?

As far as UT football, there is a lot of anticipation for this year's team, so the opening game against Wyoming will probably be tough. The next week, 9/8, against New Mexico should be easier. Next best bet would be 11/10 against Iowa State. Rest of the home games will be harder. Yes - you can trust the scalpers.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:50 PM

Our girls can do their own thing sure, but not as much as yours most likely. We're group home parents. We spend more time with our kids out of necessity (not that I mind, I love working with kids). You can get much more affordable Spurs tickets than Longhorn football ones. I'm not sure when the Alamo and Riverwalk will get old, I just enjoy walking around those places. We get season passes for one of the parks. We have Six Flags season passes for this year, maybe Sea World next year. We get a budget from our work place, and if it's something we really want to do, we throw some of our own money into it.

it seems like the people of Austin almost resent being a "City" and don't want the kind of things I wish Austin had. I guess that's why they are "weird" lol

Old 07-08-2012, 07:52 PM

679 posts, read 1,803,003 times
UT baseball is fun and relatively affordable. And if I lived in Austin, I'd spend the day at Barton Springs with a book and a picnic. That would never get old for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin