Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 07:52 PM

363 posts, read 989,577 times

Advertisements

Try geocaching. May sound lame, but once you get into it it becomes addicting. There are caches in every nook and cranny in the area and sometimes searching for them takes you to an area you wouldn't have otherwise ventured into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 07:59 PM

38 posts, read 135,380 times
I love Barton Creek, it's beautiful. My wife and I just aren't too fond of topless women "bouncing" about. lol Especially when we take 5 teen girls we're trying to guide and teach.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:00 PM

I had to look geocaching up....sounds vaguely interesting, especially with our kids.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:10 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,587,052 times
I always find it interesting talking to others my age about the various entertainment options different cities. I grew up in Lubbock, and when I tell people that, a usual reaction is commenting on how boring it must have been. When I ask what they did in Houston/Dallas/San Antonio, it's usually the same things. Movies, sporting events, concerts, coffee shops, weekend trips out into nature, days on the lake, various high cultural options, all cities above a certain size are going to have these. It's just a matter of scale, convenience, and quality, and really, if you're doing it with people you like, the quality often isn't a great factor (unless you're just a judgmental pessimist).

One of Austin's appeals is its proximity to nature, but since you're tired of that, another of Austin's strengths is the music and art scene. Also, UT puts on plenty of plays and recitals. If you can't find anything to do in a city of almost 2 million people, I might just reluctantly resort to the adage that "Only boring people get bored."

Edit: Geocaching is a good way to spend a Saturday afternoon for sure.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:12 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,578,988 times
I'll have to check out Spurs tickets again this year if they can be had cheaper than UT football tickets. I normally pay between $25 to $40 per ticket for non-student (non-lasp) football tickets. Stubhub currently has tickets for UT football against Wyoming and New Mexico in the $40-ish range.

But, if you like walking around the River Walk then the Domain or Hill Country Galleria might be nice. There are a few "movies in the park" options around.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:18 PM

You can find UT football tickets that cheap??? Well I need to look harder apparently lol. My wife LOVES Hill Country for sure, it doesn't have many stores I like but I'll hang at Barnes and Nobel while she shops. The Domain is literally 3 miles down the road and I have yet to go! I like the idea of plays at UT, where do I get info on those? I really don't think the amount of people in a City determines if it's boring or not lol. I LOVE State College Pa, I'm guessing I need to get to know UT and what they offer better.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:24 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,572,392 times
All the youngsters we've 'entertained'(8 coming this week) have reluctantly agreed to visit one of the caverns in the area and all were very impressed! It's an entertaining way to spend a couple of hours out of the heat. Look around for coupons, especially group deals or BOGO coups.

Caverns Austin

I came across this site when looking for Schlitterbahn deals...might take a little weeding through, but there's plenty of ideas:
Free Fun in Austin: Summer Fun - 2012

Our group ranges from 6 to 14 years plus one Mom and one GrandMom...should be interesting! Fortunately, the weather should clear and heat up after they arrive later in the week. Fortunately.2 , they are all very interested in water activities.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:30 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,474,331 times
#1 Tip... head on down to the Austin Visitors Center to educate yourself on the HUNDREDS of things to do in the area:

OPEN 7 Days a Week from 9am-5pm
209 E. Sixth Street
866-GO-AUSTIN; 512-478-0098

Austin, TX | Austin Hotels, Events, Attractions, Things To Do & More | AustinTexas.org

Old 07-08-2012, 10:05 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,447,633 times
Austin has a few museums you might enjoy (I'm especially fond of the Umlauf Sculpture Garden, myself). The Austin Museum Partnership has a list and in September they have Museum Day, with free admissions and activities. There's more o this list.

The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is a nice place to visit and they're even having free admission on the Lady Bird Johnson Tribute Day, July 29.

The annual Austin Ice Cream Festival is coming up in August.

The French Legation Museum is having its Bastille Day Festival this coming weekend.

The McDade Watermelon Festival is also this weekend, if that's more your interest.

The Pecan Street Festival is a couple of times a year, spring and fall.

Pioneer Farms is always fun and interesting.

Unplugged at the Grove is just one of several free concert series around town.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:31 PM

709 posts, read 1,402,786 times
Y'all might like high school football.

In Texas high school football is a much bigger deal than all the other places I have lived. And the games are tons of fun. Maybe on like a weekend that UT has a big game and the prices are to high, try out a high school game. Try to find some good area players. There are tons of them around Austin who will be playing at schools like UT or OU and go on to the pros. It is kinda fun to watch them still in high school in what is often a very fun atmosphere and then see them as they get older later and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin