Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 04:18 PM

440 posts, read 714,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
>>Austin is a College town with a lake
UT : ~50,000 students. Austin Population: 842,000 Austin Metro: 1.7 Million

>> Lake Travis or Lake Austin was once the place to be in the summer. With the three year draught tourism is almost completely gone.
Lake Austin is kept at a constant level and unaffected by the drought.

>>tourism is almost completely gone.
Except for SxSW, ACL, F1....

Gas is _more_ expensive in Dallas than Austin
AAA says Texas retail gasoline prices fall 5 cents | www.statesman.com
Rents are rising fast in Houston
Apartment and home rental prices on the rise in the Houston area | abc13.com
Both of you have good points. Do not forget the hike and bike trails and Barton Springs. Lake Austin is indeed a constant level, but the highland lakes are dried to a pitiful level and there have been towns that have run out of water.

SxSW, ACL and F1 are not exactly family friendly events. And they are expensive for a family budget.
Gas is more expensive in Dallas because they are farther from the coast; and while rent is rising in Houston, so are wages. Wages haven't risen in Austin in years except for a select few jobs that require very specific skills.

I must stay here until my daughter is out of high school. Then I intend to leave. Jobs are very competitive and my career is literally on hold until I can leave. The years of traffic have worn on me.

I only resent newcomers indirectly. They are being told that this is the bloody land of milk and honey. IT IS NOT. How can we get the word out? The young who can relocate anywhere could go live in North Dakota, save a bundle and THEN move here. Once you have a family you are far less mobile, especially when sharing custody. At my age and with the wear and tear I'm more than willing to give up Southby and ACL forever for some peace and job opportunities.

We are not only being invaded by the trustafarians, but also by the university++ kids whose parents are willing to partially subsidize them in hopes that they'll get a job and move out of mom and dad's place. Very, very few are going to be able to make it without subsidy. Work even a few years elsewhere and you'll be miles ahead from the inexperienced competition and will have your own money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 07:17 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,052,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Hmm, absolutely first post, very interesting. Let's see if they're a troll or not.

>>Austin is a College town with a lake
UT : ~50,000 students. Austin Population: 842,000 Austin Metro: 1.7 Million

>> Lake Travis or Lake Austin was once the place to be in the summer. With the three year draught tourism is almost completely gone.
Lake Austin is kept at a constant level and unaffected by the drought.

>>tourism is almost completely gone.
Except for SxSW, ACL, F1....

>>Austin cost of living is greater than Dallas, and Houston; collectively there will always be places in all cities that are more expensive than other places. But Austin as a whole the food, gas, housing is 1/3 more than other main cities.
Gas is _more_ expensive in Dallas than Austin
AAA says Texas retail gasoline prices fall 5 cents | www.statesman.com
Rents are rising fast in Houston
Apartment and home rental prices on the rise in the Houston area | abc13.com

>>do not drive the parking is very dangerous.
I don't even know what this means.
Study: Austin fourth safest city in U.S., Round Rock No. 16 | www.statesman.com
The X and ignored factor is San Antonio which is the third largest metro in Texas and just booming off the charts. Workers needed

Old 07-05-2013, 09:44 AM

593 posts, read 470,434 times
Short answer is no.

Technically Austin never really had a "job market" per se since here people are self-starters and like to start their own businesses, so the only "jobs" are state jobs, city jobs, with some private sector like Dell and Samsung, etc..everything else is service-oriented like restaurants, etc.....but I've found that short of having a secret ally in those places like Dell and Samsung, you ain't getting in.

Pesonally, if you want a good gig, San Antonio is just 45 minutes away. and you can still drive up and enjoy Austin and not feel like a road trip..

Old 07-05-2013, 09:54 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatWing View Post
Pesonally, if you want a good gig, San Antonio is just 45 minutes away. and you can still drive up and enjoy Austin and not feel like a road trip..
Since there are close to sixty direct flights from SAT to Mexico weekly, "pesonally" is probably correct.

However, I have an office in San Antonio - north side, by the airport. And I live south. So I drive it, about once a week. There is NO POSSIBLE way anyone can drive between the two cities in 45 minutes. More like 1+30 to 1+45, depending on where you are going in the city. Commute hours, add ten to fifteen.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:36 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Austin Texas unemployment rate, currently 4.8% seems to indicate that most people here can find a job if they want one:

Unemployment in the U.S. - Google Public Data Explorer

Old 08-10-2013, 06:52 AM

175 posts, read 607,256 times
Default Unemployment rate in Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Austin Texas unemployment rate, currently 4.8% seems to indicate that most people here can find a job if they want one:

Unemployment in the U.S. - Google Public Data Explorer
WOW- Where I live in Cumberland County in Southern NJ the unemployment rate hovers around 13-14% for quite a while now. 4.8% sounds awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin