Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 10:26 AM

5 posts, read 28,876 times

Advertisements

Hi! It may seem a stupid question, but I really wanna know before the big move. So tell me please, are people in Austin racist toward muslims and black people? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 10:35 AM

593 posts, read 1,378,357 times
Unfortunately, racism still exists throughout the United States. Texas has its share of bigots and haters.

Austin, however, is much different than the rest of Texas as a whole. I think that Austin and MOST Austinites are much more accepting of racial, cultural, and religious differences than others in Texas. Alot of that has to do with the great liberal university we have here and many of the graduates who continue to live here after leaving the school that perpetuates itself throughout the community. Also, the state/federal government has many of their offices here and they don't put up with that. It really is a "Live and Let Live" kinda place.

I hope that you find that it is a nice and accepting place.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:36 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,460,702 times
People are racist all over the world. What's your reference point? Then people may be able to provide insight if it's better or worse.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:08 AM

Thank you, I really hope I'll find a nice place. Please what do you mean by reference point coz I haven't come to Austin yet so I definitely don't know how it does look like (but I guess it's different from the hallmark movies) ?

Old 05-19-2009, 12:01 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,460,702 times
When I lived in Austin as a kid, there was one part of town where the whites lived. Another where the Hispanics and another where the Blacks lived. There aren't as many Blacks in Austin as in much of America. Of those that I knew who grew up in Austin and did CS/EE/Math, etc. at UT-Austin, they all had some issues involved with that. I have had 'dark-skinned' friends trying to buy places in the 'good' parts of town get redirected by real-estate agents, etc. I know there are at least a couple Muslim schools in Austin. There's racism and A*holes everywhere. I can't see things from your eyes, but perhaps somebody else reading this may be able to offer more insight. This certainly isn't Atlanta, Baltimore, etc., but then again, there are places that are much worse.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:19 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Perhaps looking at the FBI's hate crime statistics will give a clue.

See this 2007 data (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2007/table_13tx.htm - broken link).

Similar data is available for every state. Draw your own conclusions but it looks to me like Austin scores very well.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:54 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
I know I'll get blasted for this, but I have seen more examples of racism in Austin (and Texas in general) than I did in the Northeast. Of course, there are plenty of bigots there as well, but it just seems more prevelent here. And it does seem to be worse in more rural areas than in Austin proper. I think a lot of this has to do with many Austinites being not from here and being generally pretty young. There also seem to be more people who claim to not be racist at all, and in fact may be very nice to people of other races, but still think that dropping the occaissional racial slur or opposing inter-racial marriages are not racist.

True story - When I first moved here, I asked a classmate (I was in college) about racism here and was it as bad as I had heard. She responded that it was a huge exaggeration; racism wasn't bad here. I was relieved until she proceeded to add, "I mean, I'm not prejudiced. I like n*****." And she was dead serious.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:13 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,312,458 times
Lets just say people are good actors.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:01 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
I see more reversed racism here, than the stereotypical white supremest racism.

I grew up in a very racist house. I have tried to break myself away from that thinking. I cannot leave my daughter at my in-laws, down in Gonzales!! The N word and Wet****(illegals) are in every sentence down there, it seems. Small towns are still closed minded and very racist.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:07 PM

Thanks a lot for sharing information and stories ! I am actually caucasian, blue eyes... and I am muslim, and here are two scenarios people act normally (coz they cannot really guess) until they find out about my religion and it is the big shock...and they become either distant or act weirdly. 2) I lived in england and France for a certain period ( I guess it's not the same thing in US and it has nothing to do with it) and sometimes it was very difficult for me to hang out with my relatives or friends. When you enter a supermarket in sheffield everybody look at you like if they have seen an alien or worse, and when you ask questions generally people don't answer and avoid you...
But after reading you I really feel that Austin is not a bad place, and I think I would find some peace there...

Last edited by Cecilia75; 05-19-2009 at 03:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin