Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2009, 10:33 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times

Advertisements

I believe Matador is correct above any of you.

Spanish and Native Americans mixed together to create the current Mexican person. So I don't see why any of you are getting defensive. The Spanish and Native Americans bred together and created modern day Mexicans.......therefore they are in perfect harmony with each other, and hold nothing against each other, thus further all of your "points" are invalid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Thank you!

I didn't think I made it too hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 05:47 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,982,359 times
matador3, I suggest you review your Texas history unless you just badly misspoke or poorly constructed your post regarding the history of the "Texian" Anglo settlers and the Tejano population. Anglo settlement began substantially before the 1850s! Indeed, the war for Texas independence was fought 1835-36 and the Republic of Texas was annexed to the United States in Feb 1846 (that's when annexation was actually completed and effective). The Mexican-American War followed. It was all over by the 1850s.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:47 AM

205 posts, read 617,871 times
:Matador 3: (quote) I am very open minded but I draw the line at racism, it is something I will not tolerate because it's a sign of insecurity, ignorance and detriment to our society. Sometimes I feel like telling the white folks to leave my country and go back to theirs. Why are whites Americans and mexicans mexican-americans, blacks afro-american? Wouldn't people who came from Germany be german-americans?(end quote)

Actually, that's very funny when you really try to answer that question...but it's not funny if you are a sixth generation German etc like my husband. I posed that question to see what his reaction would be and it was " I'm a Texan~!" (stiffening his jaw and tensing his body as he asserted himself)...don't you dare call him a German-American. Yet it appears obligatory to describe people who are descended from African slaves many, many more generations ago as being "African-American"?????? Although it really does make sense if it is taken from a perspective of not really accepting them as an equal group in American Society (labelling identifies one as "belonging, or not" as the case may be.

As for American born Mexicans, I learned after arriving here in Texas from New Zealand that Hispanic people make distinctions themselves and there can be some prejudices both ways in respect to whether you are a Hispanic born in America "Chicano" versus a Hispanic (or Latino) born outside of America. A person from El Salvador told me that they look down on Chicanos. Of course, I realize that is not necessarily the opinion of all, but it gave me some insight that I hadn't even heard the term before and that it was derogatory.

Now for my own personal take on this issue of racism. Matador 3 stated it is something I will not tolerate because it's a sign of insecurity, ignorance and detriment to our society. I am in 100% agreement with that statement and I have personal firsthand experience (being a newcomer to this country and being bi-racial - Mother, English; Father, Polynesian [Maori] but white-skinned). An advantage of being white-skinned and bi-racial is that around caucasian people (whites) if they don't know me, they will consider me part of the group and express their racist opinions openly. In this respect, I have to agree with the many, many comments people have made earlier in this thread about racism being worldwide. It is everywhere, and as others have said, with each generation it is lessening. I do believe much of this has to do with the races mixing more in relationships and having children of mixed blood. My son has been with a black girl (she does not like to be called African-American and thinks it is ridiculous, she knows little about Africa) for 5 years - they met in college in Austin. My family were a little concerned for them both, because people here are not altogether tolerant of inter-racial relationships. When it came to deciding where I would live in Austin, as I had met a new love myself and was moving from Houston to be with him, it didn't take me long to tell my new love I could not live in his neighborhood (specifically, Fall Creek, Leander). My reasoning was simply this: The intolerance and non-acceptance of minorities in the street where he lived. The white neighbors openly talked amongst themselves how they did not like the fact that a black family had moved in down the street (they wanted to keep it white). On the surface, they seemed so caring and neighborly, looking after each other's dogs and children and socializing together - the black family was purposefully excluded! I told my fiance', once my son finds out how they are here, he will not want to visit (to protect his girlfriend) and I told him, your neighbors will exclude you too for associating with blacks!
We discussed the whole situation and decided it would be best to sell the house and find a neighborhood we would love to live in and our kids and future grandkids would be comfortable visiting. Now, the neighbors upon hearing the house was up for sale - two separate families in their 30s came to us and said: "Whatever you do, don't sell to a black family, you gotta at least make sure a nice white family moves in here to replace you. We already have too many blacks!" - Another black family had moved in around the corner. I was horrified, my husband has a sense of humor, a week or so later, he told his neighbors he had a Muslim buyer from Iraq (did I mention they have an irrational fear of Iraqis after 911) who wanted to buy the house (just to get their reaction). Honestly, we just wanted to sell and get out of there, and we were not going to turn away offers from anyone. But it certainly makes me wonder now, how often that kind of seller/buyer manipulation goes on????

Old 07-20-2009, 07:06 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,650,196 times
Quote:
The Spanish and Native Americans bred together and created modern day Mexicans.......therefore they are in perfect harmony with each other, and hold nothing against each other
This is so off-target, I wouldn't even know where to start. Class distinction in Mexico is heavily influenced by your 'race'.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:44 AM

Yes, very much so (RE: Trainwreck). I thought maybe the poster was simply being very imprecise in his/her wording and only talking about a certain variety of mestizo people, as opposed to the continuing indigenous Indian or mostly Indian segment of the population (bottom of the food chain) and the small segment that is of direct or mostly direct European descent (top of the food chain).

Old 07-20-2009, 07:53 AM

It seems to me that some participants in this discussion would rather "nit-pick" than respond to real issues. Far easier to find fault, than to find solutions or discuss the issue in depth.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:14 AM

The fact is, this thread has gone on for pages and pretty much what can be said in relevant response to the OP has already been said.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:29 AM

Passing the baton to you Doctor (and thanks for letting me know that my first post to this discussion was deemed to be pointless)
Start a new discussion!

Old 07-20-2009, 09:42 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,062,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnaiy View Post
It seems to me that some participants in this discussion would rather "nit-pick" than respond to real issues. Far easier to find fault, than to find solutions or discuss the issue in depth.
Maybe I'm not clear on what you mean by nitpicking, but I think assessing others' statements is actually part of discussing an issue in depth. If someone posts something to bolster a point of view it should be examined critically. If the statement withstands scrutiny, it gets us that much closer to understanding an issue, or if truth exists in such a case, finding it.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:18 AM

Default Slang: Nitpicking

For clarification, "nitpicking" is a New Zealand slang, which we use when referring to someone who is undertaking a laborious task like nitpicking - nits are headlice and using a comb to pick out eggs laid on each strand of hair...(there's 10s of thousands strands of hair). If I was to resort to that, I think many people would be offended because I would correct grammatical errors; spelling and make condescending remarks. Shouldn't the aim be to discuss, educate, entertain and/or inform?

My point is, in-depth discussion can lead to new understandings, solutions and is worthwhile. Conversely, nitpicking doesn't! I would never call deliberately ignoring the main point of an argument to attack a minor point to make oneself appear superior/intelligent etc an action that would bring about new understanding of the topic - but it would indeed reveal alot about the poster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin