Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 10:11 PM

205 posts, read 617,955 times

Advertisements

Trainwreck, thanks for the suggested historical texts. I like to read a variety of viewpoints - recorded history changes according to who wrote the history. I remember coming home from school when I was a child in New Zealand. Very proudly I shared what I had learned at school only to learn that this was the British viewpoint and my father gave me a lesson about the bias of historical texts. Today, New Zealand students actually receive historical texts which have been written and researched by New Zealanders which include the Maori (indigenous) and Settler (British and other immigrants to New Zealand). When I was a child, we only had history books which were written by the British.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 08:30 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,063,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matador3 View Post
Wrong! Tejanos were not immigrants from different countries. It is a fact that the first Tejanos were spaniards and mexicans. There were other immigrants that settled in Tejas around the 1800's but were few in numbers, if you look at history you will find that Spain explored and settled in the Americas way before the US even had 13 colonies. This may be news to you but it is not to us, there were plenty of spaniards and mexicans in Texas, NM, AZ, OK, CA, KS, etc. Texas was a state in 1845 but the biggest wave of anglo immigrants came in 1850 from Germany. It seems it was then that things really began to get ugly for my people here.

I am not a racist, I simply do not like the fact that my people would be mistreated in their own country and the Indians would also agree. I guess the common person here is the anglo immigrant who took from both the native indians and mexicans.

True, all races are capable of evil things and have done so throughout history but nobody has came close to what Hitler did and almost sucedeed in, elimination of an ethnicity group out of pure hatred. If you want to compare us to Hitler then you need help understanding the difference between war and sheer madness.

I know there is racism in Mexico and other countries because there are also many caucasians there who look down on darker skin people even if they are both Mexicans. The irish immigrant was once looked down upon when they began coming to America, some irish soldiers deserted the US army to fight with the Mexican army because they were looked down upon by protestant anglos. Boston seems to forget all that and now is among the most racist towns in America.

There are group of Germans in the northen states of Mexico, especially Chihuahua, where they live in communities farming the land. They are not bothered by mexicans and they have learned to live among mexicans, some have married mexican women/men but most marry within the group which is fine but the key is that there is no hatred there. I am just tired of always being mistreated simply because I am not anglo and being called mexican-american or hispanic when I am an american. I always have to prove myself over and over at work in order to get the some of the perks my anglo co-workers get but still there is preferential treatment. I am sorry to say that all this racism is making me see things differently, what if we were the majority and everyone else the minority. What if we took what was ours by force the same way it was taken from us? There are many of us who feel this way and we are growing in number, just remember that you made us this way.
First of all if by you, you mean the poster, he has probably never met you so how can you blame him personally. Second of all, were you alive back in 1850? No? Nobody took anything from you. You need to let go of whatever resentment you have toward people you've never met that have never done you wrong. It will stand in your way.

My husband and I came from poor families - his grandparents came over here on a boat from Italy - Southern european immigrants were horribly discriminated against when they got here. At any rate, both of us went on to get advanced degrees and we are now part of the middle class. Instead of either of feeling sorry for whatever happened to our families in the past, we worked hard and put ourselves through school. My husband did military and I worked the graveyard shift at Denny's. My best friend here is black, another group with a long history of suffering discrimination in this country. Instead of boo-hoo-hooing over past racial injustice, she went to college and is now in managment at a tech company here pulling down in a good living.

If someone is an A-hole to you, be mad at them, don't sit around and decide they are representative of everyone of a particular race. That's racism. My little sister was raped by a person of color when she was a teenager. It was a horrific crime and it profoundly affected the following thirty years of her life. I don't blame an entire race for that, I blame the creep that did it.

There are aspects of human history that suck, no doubt about it. But those things are in the past and those that sit today and nurse those past injustices instead of letting go and moving on will have squandered their lives.

Yes, you will meet individuals today that are racists, ignore them, if you meet them in the work place and they affect your chances at promotion or fair pay, you have legal recourse. Sue em.

Last edited by Jennibc; 07-24-2009 at 09:40 AM..

Old 07-24-2009, 09:25 AM

84 posts, read 206,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matador3 View Post
Wrong! Tejanos were not immigrants from different countries. It is a fact that the first Tejanos were spaniards and mexicans.
A huge contradiction is no way to start a rebuttal. Spaniards are from Spain, and they were not immigrants. They were there to conquer and take the land from the natives. Hence why Spain sent over Conquistadors and not Diplomatadors.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:33 AM

84 posts, read 206,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Since there seems to be a somewhat varied history of the area, I would recommend some pretty interesting reading:
The last days of the Incas
I've read this book, and liked it lot!

My mother is spanish, but technically Peruvian being 1st gen born there. Have you ever read "Lost Trails, Lost Cities" by Col. Percy Harrison Fawcett. He was hired by the govt's of Brazil, Bolivia, and Peru to survey the border lands and help settle disputes during the rubber boom around the turn of the century. It's a fantastic read!

Old 07-24-2009, 09:34 AM

CHUCKLE...I thought there was something wrong with Matador's opening statement too, but I just couldn't see it in plain view, until you pointed it out. Is that a new word you just coined? Diplomatadors - I love it, we need lots of those in this day and age, may I offer a definition?
DIPLOMATADOR: A person who has the courage to diplomaticly asserts him/herself and the rights of others for worthy issues without being offensive in the process.
Feedback please

Old 07-24-2009, 09:38 AM

Oops, I didn't read it back before posting. Forgive the grammatical error
: should be - "assert".

DIPLOMATADOR: A person who has the courage to diplomaticly assert him/herself and the rights of others for worthy issues without being offensive in the process.
Thanks, SL1966.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:20 PM

7 posts, read 18,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL1966 View Post
A huge contradiction is no way to start a rebuttal. Spaniards are from Spain, and they were not immigrants. They were there to conquer and take the land from the natives. Hence why Spain sent over Conquistadors and not Diplomatadors.
Contradiction??
I guess it's a matter of semantics now but then again you want to try and appear articulate.
Conquistadores or Explorers? Spain did send explorers to find what was on the other side of the world, did they conquer America when they first set foot on ground, highly doubtful.

I will say that this conversation is straying off course, maybe that is your intention, but I am simply referring to Tejas and Tejas alone. I am referring to the events in history, what certain ethnic group did to another and compare which ones could be considered crimes against humanity, there is a difference between murder and theft.

Spain tried to assimilate native indians, there were many priests who helped them learn to read, write,etc. Southern confederate states hardly did anything to try and assimilate minorities especially african slaves. I hope I have helped clarify my position for you.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnaiy View Post
Oops, I didn't read it back before posting. Forgive the grammatical error
: should be - "assert".

DIPLOMATADOR: A person who has the courage to diplomaticly assert him/herself and the rights of others for worthy issues without being offensive in the process.
Thanks, SL1966.
I say that Schnaiy and SL1966 sound an awful lot like the same person.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:36 PM

Default Hoping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
First of all if by you, you mean the poster, he has probably never met you so how can you blame him personally. Second of all, were you alive back in 1850? No? Nobody took anything from you. You need to let go of whatever resentment you have toward people you've never met that have never done you wrong. It will stand in your way.

My husband and I came from poor families - his grandparents came over here on a boat from Italy - Southern european immigrants were horribly discriminated against when they got here. At any rate, both of us went on to get advanced degrees and we are now part of the middle class. Instead of either of feeling sorry for whatever happened to our families in the past, we worked hard and put ourselves through school. My husband did military and I worked the graveyard shift at Denny's. My best friend here is black, another group with a long history of suffering discrimination in this country. Instead of boo-hoo-hooing over past racial injustice, she went to college and is now in managment at a tech company here pulling down in a good living.

If someone is an A-hole to you, be mad at them, don't sit around and decide they are representative of everyone of a particular race. That's racism. My little sister was raped by a person of color when she was a teenager. It was a horrific crime and it profoundly affected the following thirty years of her life. I don't blame an entire race for that, I blame the creep that did it.

There are aspects of human history that suck, no doubt about it. But those things are in the past and those that sit today and nurse those past injustices instead of letting go and moving on will have squandered their lives.

Yes, you will meet individuals today that are racists, ignore them, if you meet them in the work place and they affect your chances at promotion or fair pay, you have legal recourse. Sue em.
You know, I was not aware of racism until I went to college. In HS I had friends from different ethnic groups but I never saw that way I simply saw them as my friends. I was quite shocked when I went to Texas Tech in early 90's and experienced racism, truly an awful feeling of being angry and afraid at the same time. I found an interesting thing over the years, I don't look like most hispanics, you would probably not know that I am hispanic if you met me, maybe you would wonder if I was or not.

I have observed how the mind works for some folks, some anglo folks who don't know me start talking to me at school, getting along great then one day they ask me what my last name is and that's when things change. You can see the reaction in their faces, like you just found out you were dating a women who is really a man. In the mind of most anglos a person who has a spanish last name or speaks spanish can't be white, simply can't. They can look just like David Duke but if their name is David Durazo then they are non-white and therefore non-american.

I have a degree and like I said before, I was not always like this, it's not like I get up and think who I will blame for this or hate for that. I don't like gangsters and that includes hispanics, blacks,asians or whoever chooses that lifestyle. I found that the legal system is bias towards anglos most of the time, I expect people to judge a person by their character not looks or last name. I don't pull the race card everytime, I like to think the anglo sales clerk who didn't provide good service is simply an ahole and is like that to everyone. I guess what I am trying to say is that I wish all haters would leave this country and there are haters in every race. I can dream.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:48 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,704,369 times
There are also haters in every country. Should all the people you call "haters" have just their own little island? Sure there were groups of people who did wrong to others, that happened around the entire world to people of every race. But to say that every anglo needs to move back to Europe is like telling everyone who is black to move back to Africa. It's just not gonna happen. We're all Americans, not simply Europeans or Africans, or Mexican Americans for that matter. And if all anglos have to leave this country, what happens to people of mixed races? What does someone who is half hispanic/half white do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin