Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2009, 05:38 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,063,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
It's called Anglo conformity, when African Americans and Hispanics loose their cultural traits to conform to White Anglo society. I don't consider white conformity society interesting and that is how it is in Austin.

Same with gay people. They have conformed to straight conformity. Therefore you don't even see them. They are invisible.
Why don't you articulate what "White Anglo society" is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 09:08 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,910,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
That is correct. It's very much the tone of voice it's said in as well.

Usually in Texas "Latino" or "Hispanic" is the preferred term, especially because not all Hispanics are from Mexico by a long shot.

I have no idea what the above "Clarksville" reference means. Is that a neighborhood in Austin? The simple fact remains that the vast majority of Austin's white population lives west of I-35 and the large majority of her non-white population lives on the east side.
Exactly, I grew up in the 70s and 80s but have no problem with the term Negro, though for some reason most blacks do, they want to change the terms every 5 years it seems. for me , being called a Negro(the correct term), is fine as that is what my race is, NOT black. Colored is not a good term but it doest bother me, and i use black also, but hate afro or african american. the N word is pathetic but just because blacks use it and over use it as a fun term and a derogatory term but have scared guilty white liberals into thinking they cant use it.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:15 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,022,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post

I have no idea what the above "Clarksville" reference means. Is that a neighborhood in Austin?
Clarksville History

Old 07-19-2009, 01:04 AM

7 posts, read 18,215 times
I am a third generation texan, I grew up in west texas, El Paso, where we hispanics are the majority. El Paso is the 4th largest city in Texas and growing. My wife and I had visited Austin in the past and we liked the city so we decided to move here a year ago for a change. I was always told that Austin was very liberal and more open minded than Dallas or Houston Metro but now I see that there is a growing number of closet racists here. I live in Pflugerville which is north of Austin and we have mixed feelings about the people here, some are very kind and genuine while others are the opposite.

Even at church there are people who don't feel comfortable around minorities, you can tell yet they will greet you because that is the "christian" thing to do. I could have moved to south Austin where hispanics are more concentrated but I liked Pflugerville because it's a quiet little town. I have been passed up for promotions at work although I am easily the most experience and knowledgeable tech in the company. The IT tech team is very diverse at my work but the few anglo techs earn a little more and get more perks than the rest of us.

I think it's funny how some white folks of German decent react when they go to the Bob Bullock museum and learn the history of Texas or Tejas. Not many people realize that this lands were once owned by tejanos who were also the original cowboys or Vaqueros. My people welcomed the white immigrants in the 1850's when they arrived by the thousands in Galveston, yet they slowly began to take our land and even got us to fight along side them against Mexico to create the Republic of Texas. There were plenty of wealthy ranchers here in Texas before european immigrants took away what was ours and the irony, discriminated against us in our own country.

I am very open minded but I draw the line at racism, it is something I will not tolerate because it's a sign of insecurity, ignorance and detriment to our society. Sometimes I feel like telling the white folks to leave my country and go back to theirs. Why are whites Americans and mexicans mexican-americans, blacks afro-american? Wouldn't people who came from Germany be german-americans?

Old 07-19-2009, 07:49 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matador3 View Post

I think it's funny how some white folks of German decent react when they go to the Bob Bullock museum and learn the history of Texas or Tejas. Not many people realize that this lands were once owned by tejanos who were also the original cowboys or Vaqueros. My people welcomed the white immigrants in the 1850's when they arrived by the thousands in Galveston, yet they slowly began to take our land and even got us to fight along side them against Mexico to create the Republic of Texas. There were plenty of wealthy ranchers here in Texas before european immigrants took away what was ours and the irony, discriminated against us in our own country.

I just learned something. Tejano and Vaqueros, means your either Comanche, or Lipan Apache

Old 07-19-2009, 11:57 AM

988 posts, read 3,256,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matador3 View Post
I am a third generation texan, I grew up in west texas, El Paso, where we hispanics are the majority. El Paso is the 4th largest city in Texas and growing. My wife and I had visited Austin in the past and we liked the city so we decided to move here a year ago for a change. I was always told that Austin was very liberal and more open minded than Dallas or Houston Metro but now I see that there is a growing number of closet racists here. I live in Pflugerville which is north of Austin and we have mixed feelings about the people here, some are very kind and genuine while others are the opposite.

Even at church there are people who don't feel comfortable around minorities, you can tell yet they will greet you because that is the "christian" thing to do. I could have moved to south Austin where hispanics are more concentrated but I liked Pflugerville because it's a quiet little town. I have been passed up for promotions at work although I am easily the most experience and knowledgeable tech in the company. The IT tech team is very diverse at my work but the few anglo techs earn a little more and get more perks than the rest of us.

I am very open minded but I draw the line at racism, it is something I will not tolerate because it's a sign of insecurity, ignorance and detriment to our society. Sometimes I feel like telling the white folks to leave my country and go back to theirs. Why are whites Americans and mexicans mexican-americans, blacks afro-american? Wouldn't people who came from Germany be german-americans?
I understand you. Pflugerville used to be an extremely and blantantly racist town even in the early 80s when my dad first moved there. It did improve and went I went to high school there in the mid-90s, and things seemed OK on the surface. Things are much improved now in only 25 or so years ago but undoubtedly, there is some embedded racism, bigotry, prejudice, etc still there. Also, more than a few of my friend's parents were definitely racists (my friends actually told me).

On the athletic teams, if you weren't a superior black athlete then you weren't given a chance. Any mediocre white athlete was always picked to start over a better minority athlete that was not a superior athlete. Ex: When our starting QB went down with an injury, we had a more than capable backup. The starting QB was hispanic and almost superior. The backup was Hispanic and really good but not superior. The coaches pulled a White Linebacker who was an awesome Linebacker but a crappy QB and put him as a starter. The entire team was mad, every race was. The backup was more than capable but for some reason they wouldn't let him start. He knew the playbook well, he had all of the tools, etc. Was it racism? I can't tell you but it was very fishy. We lost that playoff game because our Linebacking crew was weakened and our former Linebacker turned Quarterback was atrocious. There was a 140 lbs Vietnamese guy was put at Offensive line, he was a decent receiver and should have been there. Things like this happened all of time to the non-superior minority athlete there and only to the extremely untalented whites. I'm not bitter, it was just obvious. Even the white athletes agreed(there was no rift between us however). The coaching staff was obviously racist (I have tons of other stories/facts) and like Varsity Blues, the superior minority was basically a "Boy" to help the team win. This happens everywhere, not just Pflugerville. I remember talking to the only Black coach and he felt exactly the same, the staff didn't treat him with respect. That was in the 90's, i'm sure things "may" have improved but that's an example of possible closet racism going on there. I want to emphasize that I don't look for racism and think that everything is racist, i'm just making an opinion based off of my observations.

Everyone has different life experiences and reasons why they may not like a person of another race. I agree with you; However, for racism and prejudice to truly improve, people of ALL races need to see people as individuals and not as an entire race. Everyone needs to be held to the same standard and LBJ's Great Society program needs to be phased out, it hurt minorities more than anything. Maybe everyone is too different to truly live together in harmony, that's another subject. Ok, i'm not going to get political but just adding in my 2 cents.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:36 PM

7 posts, read 18,215 times
Default What is Tejano

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I just learned something. Tejano and Vaqueros, means your either Comanche, or Lipan Apache
That is absurd, I don't know where you got that information from but I can assure you the word Tejano is a spanish word that was used to refer to people of spanish heritage living in texas. Vaquero is spanish for Cowboy, the cowboy was born in Tejas and it was the Tejano's living here who taught the european immigrants the way of the cowboy.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:45 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times
I think the point was that the Apaches and Comanches "owned" the land before the Tejanos did.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:02 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,063,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
Everyone has different life experiences and reasons why they may not like a person of another race. I agree with you; However, for racism and prejudice to truly improve, people of ALL races need to see people as individuals and not as an entire race. Everyone needs to be held to the same standard and LBJ's Great Society program needs to be phased out, it hurt minorities more than anything. Maybe everyone is too different to truly live together in harmony, that's another subject. Ok, i'm not going to get political but just adding in my 2 cents.
Absolutely!!!!

Old 07-19-2009, 10:29 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I think the point was that the Apaches and Comanches "owned" the land before the Tejanos did.

Thank you!

I didn't think I made it too hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin