Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 04:39 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,916,079 times

Advertisements

i think because the topic is Austin "Racism" and many use the term in a racist way when saying "Mexicans", like they say the "N" word--i hate that why not just say the word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 04:40 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,916,079 times
its not like people arent thinking the word, and most still use the word--all races do

Old 05-28-2009, 05:14 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,069,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
its not like people arent thinking the word, and most still use the word--all races do
I think that people might think of the word when they here someone say the "the N word" as in we all know what it is, but honestly, the word itself is so distasteful that I don't think of it when I am in the company of black people. But I was born in the mid-sixties to a woman who used to be a catholic nun and she would slap us silly if we ever uttered such a word. Same thing for derogatory terms for Jews, Hispanics, or Asians. So I think it has a lot to do with how one is raised and when they were born. (Ironically, my father a protestant originally from North TX and then Oklahoma, was a horrible racist. So while he would often utter racial epithets we were horrified because our primary caregiver had drilled into us how wrong it was.)

Old 05-28-2009, 05:39 PM

707 posts, read 1,847,994 times
I think Austin is more classist than racist; meaning, they don't care if you're black, hispanic, muslim, etc. as long as you're not poor and you don't have a considerable accent.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:03 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,995,521 times
I think that is actually true of much of present day America and I would agree in regard to Austin.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:39 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,599,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
i think because the topic is Austin "Racism" and many use the term in a racist way when saying "Mexicans", like they say the "N" word--i hate that why not just say the word
That is correct. It's very much the tone of voice it's said in as well.

Usually in Texas "Latino" or "Hispanic" is the preferred term, especially because not all Hispanics are from Mexico by a long shot.

I have no idea what the above "Clarksville" reference means. Is that a neighborhood in Austin? The simple fact remains that the vast majority of Austin's white population lives west of I-35 and the large majority of her non-white population lives on the east side.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:16 PM

4 posts, read 12,068 times
Default austin is chill

for a big city in the south i would have to say austin is the most liberal meaning no it is not very racist. i have lived in alot of other citys in texas and through out the south and austin is the most chill.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:44 PM

399 posts, read 975,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miche111e View Post
I think Austin is more classist than racist; meaning, they don't care if you're black, hispanic, muslim, etc. as long as you're not poor and you don't have a considerable accent.
I've certainly experienced the classist thing. Seems that everyone here over 30 has at least a Master's Degree - when people find out I have a high school education (some college, mind you, but I didn't finish and don't really have a burning desire to), the sound of all the air being sucked out of the room is fairly audible.

I grew up in the Shreveport, LA area - race relations there make Austin look like the Rainbow Coalition, so my perception is very skewed. I don't hear people openly refer to black people as n-----s and regularly wish out loud for the return of Jim Crow laws here with basically no social consequences whatsoever, so in my mind Austin is a vast improvement; but then agan, look at what my frame of reference is.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:28 AM

326 posts, read 765,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Part of the reason for the segregation is historical. In the bad old days, non-whites were forced to live in the east side of town, and I-35 was purposefully built the way it was in order to segregate the races. We're still living with the consequences of these decisions, but I think things are slowly getting better.
Is that the reason why current Austin City government still favors west side over east in terms of development dollars and efforts? If that is motivation behind the city’s decisions, then it is the ultimate racism of Austin – straight from the governing body!

Old 05-29-2009, 06:13 AM

326 posts, read 765,438 times
As a minority, I don't care people's stereotype, name calling, etc., as long as the government officials, police, and employers don't make their policies/decisions mainly based on their personal racial viewpoints.

What I appreciate most about Americans and American employers is that they put (at least try to) their racial perceptions behind them when they deal with individuals. I've never had employment issues - given that I believe I should be twice as good/qualified (at least try to) and work twice as hard to compensate for the culture and language differences.

I don't know about other places, but Austin area is 100 times better than NC and mid-west in terms of racism. For the past 10 years living in Austin and surrounding areas, I have NOT yet once being called names to my face as I was all the time at the other places. What words people use in their homes is their business and doesn't bother me a bit.

Last edited by cls88; 05-29-2009 at 07:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin