Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2009, 10:53 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,008,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matador3 View Post
Wrong! Tejanos were not immigrants from different countries. It is a fact that the first Tejanos were spaniards and mexicans. There were other immigrants that settled in Tejas around the 1800's but were few in numbers, if you look at history you will find that Spain explored and settled in the Americas way before the US even had 13 colonies. This may be news to you but it is not to us, there were plenty of spaniards and mexicans in Texas, NM, AZ, OK, CA, KS, etc. Texas was a state in 1845 but the biggest wave of anglo immigrants came in 1850 from Germany. It seems it was then that things really began to get ugly for my people here.

I am not a racist, I simply do not like the fact that my people would be mistreated in their own country and the Indians would also agree. I guess the common person here is the anglo immigrant who took from both the native indians and mexicans.

True, all races are capable of evil things and have done so throughout history but nobody has came close to what Hitler did and almost sucedeed in, elimination of an ethnicity group out of pure hatred. If you want to compare us to Hitler then you need help understanding the difference between war and sheer madness.

I know there is racism in Mexico and other countries because there are also many caucasians there who look down on darker skin people even if they are both Mexicans. The irish immigrant was once looked down upon when they began coming to America, some irish soldiers deserted the US army to fight with the Mexican army because they were looked down upon by protestant anglos. Boston seems to forget all that and now is among the most racist towns in America.

There are group of Germans in the northen states of Mexico, especially Chihuahua, where they live in communities farming the land. They are not bothered by mexicans and they have learned to live among mexicans, some have married mexican women/men but most marry within the group which is fine but the key is that there is no hatred there. I am just tired of always being mistreated simply because I am not anglo and being called mexican-american or hispanic when I am an american. I always have to prove myself over and over at work in order to get the some of the perks my anglo co-workers get but still there is preferential treatment. I am sorry to say that all this racism is making me see things differently, what if we were the majority and everyone else the minority. What if we took what was ours by force the same way it was taken from us? There are many of us who feel this way and we are growing in number, just remember that you made us this way.
you REALLY should sue those crackers that run your organization. I have a friend (gay) that sued a major CA insurance company while he was working there. By law, they cannot retaliate against the employee who is suing. Then again, that WAS CA. Texas is more backwards probably in that respect. He eventually won a settlement for an undisclosed amount of money and went on to work somewhere else where he was appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 03:27 PM

84 posts, read 206,501 times
Quote:
Contradiction??
I guess it's a matter of semantics now but then again you want to try and appear articulate.
Yes, what you said is huge one.

I've struck a nerve since you've launched into a personal attack.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:51 PM

84 posts, read 206,501 times
Quote:
You know, I was not aware of racism until I went to college. In HS I had friends from different ethnic groups but I never saw that way I simply saw them as my friends. I was quite shocked when I went to Texas Tech in early 90's and experienced racism, truly an awful feeling of being angry and afraid at the same time. I found an interesting thing over the years, I don't look like most hispanics, you would probably not know that I am hispanic if you met me, maybe you would wonder if I was or not.
I've been fully aware of racism from the word go from all kinds of people. It never bothered me nor have I hated any one race because of the actions of one person against me. I hold each individual accountable for them. Hell I've even experienced racism from both Asians and Hispanics. The blood of each runs through my veins. Never had a problem I wasn't able to resolve and move on with.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:38 AM

166 posts, read 682,864 times
I was able to read up to page 10 and now I feel just a bit discouraged about possibly moving to Austin.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:09 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,063,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagelady View Post
I was able to read up to page 10 and now I feel just a bit discouraged about possibly moving to Austin.
I wouldn't be discouraged by this thread. It's just a bunch of people's conjecture. Best thing to do is take a trip here and get a sense of the place yourself.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:09 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,473,034 times
Quote:
I am sorry to say that all this racism is making me see things differently, what if we were the majority and everyone else the minority. What if we took what was ours by force the same way it was taken from us? There are many of us who feel this way and we are growing in number, just remember that you made us this way.
Oh please, give me a break.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:22 AM

205 posts, read 617,955 times
Fortunately, the younger generation 25 and under seem to have learned from history and being educated in fully integrated schooling which only began occurring 50 years ago...
Matador3 your thinking is now outdated and would have been better placed 50 years ago when there was a struggle for civil rights for minorities.
It is so easy to find examples of racism, but measure it against where Society was 50, 30, even 10 years ago and you will see things have progressed. Isn't that why it is possible to have a black President? Why there are more inter-racial marriages? Why there is more acceptance of diversity?
Get rid of your "chip on the shoulder" and the "world owes me a living" mentality and be a part of positive change. It's really a very exciting age that we are living in.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:15 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,919,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnaiy View Post
Fortunately, the younger generation 25 and under seem to have learned from history and being educated in fully integrated schooling which only began occurring 50 years ago...
Matador3 your thinking is now outdated and would have been better placed 50 years ago when there was a struggle for civil rights for minorities.
It is so easy to find examples of racism, but measure it against where Society was 50, 30, even 10 years ago and you will see things have progressed. Isn't that why it is possible to have a black President? Why there are more inter-racial marriages? Why there is more acceptance of diversity?
Get rid of your "chip on the shoulder" and the "world owes me a living" mentality and be a part of positive change. It's really a very exciting age that we are living in.
Personally, I think America overall (esp. for where I live) was more racially progressive 10 years ago. Things with race has really taken a turn for the worse during the 2000s decade.

But again, I'm speaking of how things are on the East Coast.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:36 AM

205 posts, read 617,955 times
Believe me Fairfaixan when I say, things have progressed here in Texas. It may be perhaps, that the East Coast, which was way ahead of the rest of the country has just reached a plateau...while the states in the South catch up?
My son's g/f is expecting first baby with him - she is A-A and he is White/Polynesian. THey have plenty of friends ranging from Nigerian, Asian and Greek. THey're in that under 25 generation which are much more open-minded and accepting of differences whether it be race, gender, sexual preference etc. It provides a great hope for the future generation, now if only our generation (currently in power) can get the country back into prosperity again. It will be interesting to see whether the economy makes people more conservative in attitude or not - Texas is beginning to feel more of the affects of the recession? Maybe that accounts for some of the changes you have noticed in the East Coast?

Old 08-17-2009, 02:10 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,919,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnaiy View Post
Believe me Fairfaixan when I say, things have progressed here in Texas. It may be perhaps, that the East Coast, which was way ahead of the rest of the country has just reached a plateau...while the states in the South catch up?
My son's g/f is expecting first baby with him - she is A-A and he is White/Polynesian. THey have plenty of friends ranging from Nigerian, Asian and Greek. THey're in that under 25 generation which are much more open-minded and accepting of differences whether it be race, gender, sexual preference etc. It provides a great hope for the future generation, now if only our generation (currently in power) can get the country back into prosperity again. It will be interesting to see whether the economy makes people more conservative in attitude or not - Texas is beginning to feel more of the affects of the recession? Maybe that accounts for some of the changes you have noticed in the East Coast?
Oh, trust me when I say I believe that Texas has progressed, even compared to the 90s. It's just that the reason I was so cynical to begin with is because I feel so trapped here in the Northeast/East Coast with its multiple problems, including covert racist people. Note that I live in the area with possibly the best job market in the country, but I still notice the racial strife from all ends. This is why I'm looking to relocate in certain parts of the country, including Austin and Houston, the two places that appears very racially progressive (esp. compared to the DC area).

I personally think it's Texas's no-BS policy to the current ghetto culture that has allowed it to differentiate normal blacks from stereotypical blacks. Here on the East Coast, the thuggish and poverty lifestyle is tolerated in the name of diversity, tolerance, and political correctness, but in the end has backfired and now everyone else sees all blacks as part of the ghetto or thuggish culture. The latter is what I'm beyond tired of dealing with on the East Coast and am looking for a place where people have enough sense to decipher between assimilated blacks and ghetto blacks, welcoming the assimilated ones as a part of their society. And from what it looks like, the urban metropolitan parts of Texas tend to be a few of the places that has that aspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin