Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 02:22 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,963,301 times

Advertisements

It might not have to do with your personality flaws or race but what you believe in or symbolize. Things are not always so cut and dry. If people do not know you that well and they are making flippant and back handed comments to you, then you know it isn't you, it is their incivility and inability to remain neutral. People have an uncanny way of figuring out what you stand for and a lot of people do not like differences of any sort or individuality of any sort. Some times it has nothing to do with being black or Jewish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
I got it, we should all change places for a month. That would get everybody on the same page. "Walk in my shoes kinda deal." I"m White Guy, but I often feel invisible, and over looked. It may just be my socks, or lack there of. Sometimes I wish I were a "minority" at least then I would have an excuse. Now, I just have to face the fact it's Me. Ever walk into a crowed room, and just get the feelin nobody likes you??---You are probably right.

Last edited by artsyguy; 10-18-2009 at 02:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 02:24 PM

Hey bud did you see any "bohemians" there ha ha? From my experience the further south I went the more country the city became. It was a nice area though, nice and country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by + or - View Post
So I was in south Austin tonight with some buds of mine. South Austin is supposedly "bohemian" and diverse, yet I was the only person of color in the restaurant.

Austin can never dream of being truly diverse. This city is full of self proclaimed liberal whites.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:31 PM

Austin people are extremely cliquish. The society there will literally manipulate you to be isolated if you are too "different" or too "out of the norm".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_buddy008 View Post
Well I'm moving to Austin and I'll find out what people think of me when I get there but honestly I don't really care. A lot of people are able to associate with other people who are the same as them but not everyone has that option. When you're half black, half white which group do you choose to associate with? Here in Aurora there's a decent number of bi-racial people but even still we give new meaning to the word minority. I can't lie, there have been times when I wished I just fit in with one group but most of the time I'm glad I don't. Although it does bother me when I'm told that I act more white. It's really ridiculous to think some people try and define skin color by the music you listen to, clothes you wear, or slang you use. Now matter how you act your skin color doesn't change. Too many people in society are too determined to fit in with a certain culture and and not just be human. So ****ing what if your great grandma was from Italy, that doesn't make you Italian-American, just plain American like most all of the people you refer to as African-American. My dad's black with an Irish last name(Farrell), know what that makes me? American, born and raised in CO for 24 years and looking to try something different in TX.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:36 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,473,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by + or - View Post
So I was in south Austin tonight with some buds of mine. South Austin is supposedly "bohemian" and diverse, yet I was the only person of color in the restaurant.

Austin can never dream of being truly diverse. This city is full of self proclaimed liberal whites.
You say this like we should be ashamed.
If you don't like it then leave.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:46 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Hey bud did you see any "bohemians" there ha ha? From my experience the further south I went the more country the city became. It was a nice area though, nice and country.
Let's see. You've said that you have been in South Austin exactly twice. You haven't clarified whether or not this is when you (a) lived in Austin or (b) attended school at UT or (c) never lived in Austin, just visited your cousin here, during which time you gained your vast experience and opinion of Austin.

So, here's yet another opportunity for you to answer this straightforward question: which of the scenarios above that you've posted here at one time or another is the real one, so we'll have something with which to judge the credibility of your opinions about Austin?

Old 10-19-2009, 07:27 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,466,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
i think because the topic is Austin "Racism" and many use the term in a racist way when saying "Mexicans", like they say the "N" word--i hate that why not just say the word
I think "Mexicans" get a bad rap. Everyone that is from South of the Border, is clumped in as "Mexicans". Even if they are actually from San Salvador, or Nicaragua. My Mexicans Friends dislike that the most. But I do understand how easy it is to put everybody that looks similar, in the same box. Usually with no ill intent. --

Old 10-19-2009, 07:30 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,466,556 times
Also, on a side note--often people just don't like each other, for no other reason than that. Strange isn't it?

Old 10-19-2009, 08:27 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
Austin isn't that bad. I have seen a lot of interracial couples and fellow mixed race people. In fact, I've seen more here than I've seen in New York. Go figure. I agree that there is a dearth of professional organizations for Black people, but I think that's because my professional Black people go on to bigger cities. At my firm, many professional Black people are interested in our Houston office, Dallas Office, or out of the state altogether. Can't really fault Austin for that. Considering the Black population is only 10%, you would be hard pressed to not see any Black people.

I *did* have a negative race experience here, but that was more the exception rather than the rule. Overall, I have had mostly positive experiences and I feel that if you don't wear a race chip on your shoulder, or be so self conscious, then you'll not care that you're the only person of color. I'm a mixed race person btw.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:30 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,910,798 times
lack of organizations or population doesnt mean a place is racist, Vermont doesnt have any and it is a very comfortable place as a black person to visit or move to.

the issue is the way people treat others of different races that makes it a good or bad place in terms of racism.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:35 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,910,798 times
I just wished Real Estate brokers would be honest about these issues like racism, crime, violence, burglaries, hate crimes, etc when selling a home.

it very hard to make a decision to buy a home, esp from so far away when i only get one or two visits to make up my mind and they dont give the full story. buying a home for ones family isnt just about sq footage, mortgage or taxes or good public schools. in fact, some dont look for public schools as a factor at all, but it is about quality of life also. how well will one fit into a neighborhood whether they are Interracial, a racial or ethnic minority, gay or lesbian, conservative , or christian or jewish or muslim. but these very important issues dont seem to be on the radar screen of most realtors, and something the people will just have to experience once they have signed the dotted line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin