Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 01:44 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,848,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
Fair enough. I stand corrected. I didn't mention country bands like Sugarland and Leanne Rimes either, but the criteria was rock. Maybe we can lump in Pantera there, too. fair enough.
That's what I was thinking - criteria was rock. If you open up the criteria we'd find a bunch of pop bands and other categories from the large Texas cities.

Anyway... I think Austin, Houston and Dallas have all spurred several good groups. I wouldn't really say there's a clear winner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 02:08 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,472,593 times
I like Red River. 6th street is pretty lame.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:17 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,214,257 times
Reverend Horton Heat...Dallas band? I always wondered where they came from.

Butthole Surfers...awesome band! From Houston? I always wondered where they came from as well.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:22 PM

47 posts, read 142,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
Like Austin itself, the music scene has become a pale imitation of its former self. Yes, you can check out Ian McLagan every week, or the Scabs at Antone's every month (if only for the Ass Factor), but other than that, I can safely generalize that its a bunch of proficient-but-not-compelling players.

I sense zero passion. And if there is true passion, it's not accompanied by sufficient talent or drive.

I honestly believe that the Dallas/Denton music scene is WAY better. I can name ten Dallas bands that I would make a point of going to see on a WEEKNIGHT. Austin has some great straight-ahead jazz players, so if the Elephant room is your thing, you can see some greatness there. But outside of that, it just puts me to sleep.
This past spring, we, in Houston, had a revival of sorts... The Westheimer Block Party.... all day block party...hundreds of young local bands... mostly all from Houston........ I would like to know more about Dallas... does dallas offer anything rootsy like this?

Old 07-09-2009, 11:04 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,214,257 times
I think I see a re-occuring theme - if Dallas is 4x larger, they should have 4x the scene.

But in my mind, even if Dallas is just 1.1x better, then it is better.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:53 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,022,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
even if Dallas is just 1.1x better, then it is better.
When you stack the bands against each other, that isn't the case. Austin has better bands that garner more national attention, get on more movie soundtracks, and probably have more songs higher in the charts. I don't think Austin has the best scene in the US though (puts on his helmet). Portland, Seattle, LA, and NYC are better, but Austin is up there neck-and-neck with Portland.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:37 AM

989 posts, read 2,499,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
How would you REALLY describe the Austin Live Music scene?
Tons of live music everywhere but far too little variety. If I hear another country-based blues band I'll vomit.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:49 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,702,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
I think we forget that size is an issue too..sure, Houston AND Dallas have better music scenes in total, but they are far larger metros, AND both cities have large arenas....even San Antonio has the Spur's arena for major concerts...and Austin deperately needs at least a few large arenas per its current size after many years of growth.....

Austin is just a mid-sized city, after all is said and done, and cannot support the large music scenes you see in LA, Houston, Dallas, Chicago, Boston, SFBay area, etc.........per capita, they have a nice scene, but, as you folks mention, it is far smaller than most outsiders realize.......

Again, it is largely a matter of size, and Austin simply isn't that big...
I wonder if they are starting to use Dell Diamond as our "stadium". I ask that because there has already been one large festival there and another show is scheduled there. I think I read Jerry Jeff Walker/Kellie Pickler. I could be wrong about the JJW part, I'll have to look up who the headliner is. Black Crows are playing at Stubbs.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:48 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,702,366 times
The Flamin' Hellcats
The Octanes
Blue October
Beyonce and Solange Knowles
Lyle Lovett
Clint Black
Robert Earl Keen
Rodney Crowell
ZZ Top

among many others who got their start in Houston or were from Houston.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:56 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,900,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
Tons of live music everywhere but far too little variety
I agree with this. My music interests are vast but I'm not finding too much outside of rock, country and its derivatives. Even most of the "experimental" bands are still "rock-ish". Of course this is fine, if that is what you're looking for. In this way, I think Austin is pretty good. But not too much jazz/classical/electronic/world etc...I also agree with readymade - there just aren't enough venues. There's only so many times you can visit the Red River district. The 6th St scene is mostly cartoonish. Granted, there are many other cool venues outside of downtown, but not nearly enough for a city like Austin, IMHO. And with some of the neighborhood groups trying to ban live music, there is likely to be less.

And yes, some of the club owners are shysters when it comes to paying bands. This has always been a dirty business everywhere in that way. I understand the "we don't do it for the money" sentiment - I personally do it cuz it makes me happy - but it's morally reprehensible to make $30 while bringing in 75-100 heads. These clubs make loads of cash off of alcohol - they should treat bands better. Nobody minds paying for a plumber, but God forbid a band gets paid fairly. I suppose playing for free is fine for most bands with ambitions of stardom, or bands with sellable merch. Also, most mid-sized cities have other opportunities for skilled musicians to play for pay as well(theater etc...)...not too much in Austin. But most musicians know they need to have a day job. Nothing new in that respect.

Ya' know, all this speculation about Dallas vs Austin vs Houston just seems like a bunch of sillyness and in-state nonsense. City "X" is 4 times bigger than city "Y" or whatever...From a musician's POV, whether or not a city has a good music scene depends on the individual musician and what they are looking for, performance choices and personal growth opportunities, not how many bands have a song in a soundtrack and/or what person thinks they're good or not. That's TASTE and it's unquantifiable. If that's the criteria than NO city in Texas comes close to NYC, L.A., Miami etc...Success is not measured only by fame and popularity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin